Acid_Haze

This makes me really sad. They're playing so many other places and probably got an absolute bomb for Reading and Leeds. Why's it all about the money? When did they sell out that badly? What happened to the small gigs for the fans, and doing it for the music?

The impression I got is that in the future years the fees associated won't be as high, but this year most of the band are looking to make a quick lump sum as solo projects have made big loses. It sounds as if it's partly management interference, but also a slight level of greed on some of the bands behalf. My friend who knows the band openly said he was dissapointed that they've gone down this path.

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

Off topic, anyone here go in 2005? and did you watch The la's?

Not too many there but the Other in 05 was a no go for a lot of the weekend. Getting in and out of the field was a nightmare. Couple that with the constant smell of piss and shit wafting about and it made for an unpleasant experience.

Check out the no mans land behind the sound desk.

Edited by The Nal

The impression I got is that in the future years the fees associated won't be as high, but this year most of the band are looking to make a quick lump sum as solo projects have made big loses. It sounds as if it's partly management interference, but also a slight level of greed on some of the bands behalf. My friend who knows the band openly said he was dissapointed that they've gone down this path.

It's just so contrasting to how they started out and it's such an obvious sellout. It's a real shame.

Yes and no.

My friend did, though, and she said that you could walk right to the front. There was no one there. I was watching the end of Primal Scream and then Basement Jaxx on the Pyramid, in case you were wondering what they were up against.

That's surprsing! i thought they would of had a packed field, they play the other stage? ive seen vids on youtube and they sounded decent, bit odd having a standing up drummer. but thats Lee Mavers for you! lol

would love to see them one day with john power! but i cant see it. Missed the La's stripped back at bestival on the thursday a few years back which was annoying!

Not too many there but the Other in 05 was a no go for a lot of the weekend. Getting in and out of the field was a nightmare. Couple that with the constant smell of piss and shit wafting about and it made for an unpleasant experience.

Check out the no mans land behind the sound desk.

oh yea! wasnt 2005 the year of horrendous weather??

It would be great if they did a daily release over a week or so, Acoustic, Silver Hayes, Park, JP, West Holts, Other then the Pyramid.

Infact, what would be detrimental to the festival if they did this? The only negative I can see would be the pyramid headliners having their announcement diluted.

It's just so contrasting to how they started out and it's such an obvious sellout. It's a real shame.

Fully agreed. I suppose you can't keep sustaining yourself on goodwill for your whole life/career though. Still, a shame that they can't find the will to play a festival at a reduced rate that key member attend year after year.

Could it be now they are headlining T and Reading/Leeds that they want Headline fees and Glastonbury were offering them a non headline slot so Glasto said no to the demands. I don't think that's a sell out really..

2005 had a massive downpour in the morning. Truely Biblical. It completely flooded the site. It had been riduclously hot so the ground was very dry and it took a long time for the ground to turn to mud. Very odd watching Fatboy slim at the other on the friday in about 10 inches of warm water. 2007 was a different kettle of fish.

Could it be now they are headlining T and Reading/Leeds that they want Headline fees and Glastonbury were offering them a non headline slot so Glasto said no to the demands. I don't think that's a sell out really..

All I know is that negotiations broke down because of money and this happened before they signed up for T and Reading. I don't know what spot on the bill they had been offered, but reading between the lines it sounds like it may have been a headlining spot. The money offered wasn't enough though and negotiations stopped.

2005 had a massive downpour in the morning. Truely Biblical. It completely flooded the site. It had been riduclously hot so the ground was very dry and it took a long time for the ground to turn to mud. Very odd watching Fatboy slim at the other on the friday in about 10 inches of warm water. 2007 was a different kettle of fish.

oh god! dont know if i could of lasted 2007 from what ive heard! haha.

I disagree actually, I think that because they're getting the headline fees from other festivals, they should be happier to play Glasto for the smaller fee now they have the income they so desire from other places.

I'm aware that I'm being idealistic about this, they were just so into their guerrilla gigs and impromptu things that they've done a huge 180 to now be all about the money.

I'm not explaining this very well but I know what I mean!

I never really got this kind of criticism of The Libertines...Even when they were doing gigs in their flat, they were charging people £20 each to get through the door!

That's true. But at least they were doing them in the first place.. I'm romanticising them far too much, I know, I'm just a huge fan and desperately want them to play!

That's true. But at least they were doing them in the first place.. I'm romanticising them far too much, I know, I'm just a huge fan and desperately want them to play!

If the new album does well then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them headline next year.

I am, too, they were fantastic at Ally Pally last year and they'd be great at Glastonbury. I guess I just don't really mind so much about the money thing-it was always a part of what they did.

I am, too, they were fantastic at Ally Pally last year and they'd be great at Glastonbury. I guess I just don't really mind so much about the money thing-it was always a part of what they did.

They were - although did you feel like they were playing the songs a bit slower than they are on record? I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or if everything was a little bit calmer..

They were - although did you feel like they were playing the songs a bit slower than they are on record? I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or if everything was a little bit calmer..

I was at hyde park and it was the most rowdy crazy gig ive ever been to! it was insane! didnt notice about the slowed down songs tho?

I was at hyde park and it was the most rowdy crazy gig ive ever been to! it was insane! didnt notice about the slowed down songs tho?

Maybe I was imagining it! Or maybe it was because it was inside? Or maybe it was because Hyde Park was so rowdy and they calmed it down a little? Dunno.

I saw them at Reading in 2010 and it was incredible - not that Ally Pally wasn't, it was just a bit like they were on the wrong setting. In my mind, at least. I might be crazy.

Maybe I was imagining it! Or maybe it was because it was inside? Or maybe it was because Hyde Park was so rowdy and they calmed it down a little? Dunno.

I saw them at Reading in 2010 and it was incredible - not that Ally Pally wasn't, it was just a bit like they were on the wrong setting. In my mind, at least. I might be crazy.

I was the Friday gig in Ally Pally, thought it was insane!

Ally Pally was the only gig of their's I've been to that hasn't been stopped for safety, so maybe you have something.

Maybe they've just decided to learn their songs...?