Football 2014/15

TheGayTent

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still, i'd be embarrassed to get through like that after losing 6-1 on aggregate for a player that played 2 minutes in the whole tie to overturn a result. stupid from legia warsaw though

Pride doesnt pay the bills. Its incredibly unfortunate, but fortune can turn against teams in many ways. Should a game be replayed if a team is eliminated in the injury time for a cross that went out of play.

If your Celtic you just think you have got away with it and move on.

Noone's mentioned Vermaelen to Barca yet. Hugely surprised at the £15m fee. Massive price for a reserve CB. Have Arsenal brought any reinforcements in back there though?

Also disgraceful at Huddersfield. One game in for the first manager to go? Crazy stuff.

Noone's mentioned Vermaelen to Barca yet. Hugely surprised at the £15m fee. Massive price for a reserve CB.

I think 'reserve' is a bit unfair in this case. Few would think him a worse individual defender than either of Mert & Koscielny(sp?); he's ended up on the bench because those two pair up together than either one does with him.

It's very hard for any club to keep that top' player happy in those circumstances, so it's no big surprise to see him leave.

Have Arsenal brought any reinforcements in back there though?

they spunked £19M on a kiddie from Soton.

Edited by eFestivals

He lost his mojo at Arsenal, he's shown before that he can be a first-choice centre-back at the top level and I guess both Barcelona and Man Utd thought he could be again.

Mark Robins getting the boot is shambolic, not saying he didn't deserve it after their poor finish last season but why not do it then rather than waiting until one game into this season? They've obviously decided to give him a chance to show he can turn things round and then lost their nerve.

Arsenal bought Calum Chambers for £16m and he'll be second choice RB as well as providing cover at CB, like how Sagna was 4th choice previously.

After Chambers signed, Wenger confirmed Vermaelen would be replaced if he leaves, so there should be another CB coming in. They've been linked with Fabian Schär at Basel.

I have to say that chambers is a player who has completely passed me by. If Wenger rates him than he must have something about him, then again he obviously rated Jenkinson and I cant see him as more than championship standard.

While the charity shield is a glorified friendly, I think its important for Arsenal to win and carry on the momentum from the FA cup. City have done very little with their squad (possibly due to financial fair play) and considering they were run so close last season, this seems a bit of a gamble.

While Arsenal played well yesterday, it was a weakened Arsenal side playing a very weakened City side who put in very little effort. The result is meaningless.

I do, however, think Arsenal needed the win more than City, to give them some confidence about playing big teams and carry on the momentum from the FA Cup win. Still need a CB, CDM and ST to finish above 3rd.

I have to say that chambers is a player who has completely passed me by. If Wenger rates him than he must have something about him, then again he obviously rated Jenkinson and I cant see him as more than championship standard.

Chambers played a few times at right back last season and did well. Lots of Southampton fans rate him as better than Shaw, and Chambers was voted the best player in the same youth team as Shaw. It's just that Chambers was behind Clyne in the pecking order.

He can play RB, CB, RM and CM competently, though (I think) the England youth coach has said he sees him ending up as a CB.

On Football Manager he's a RM. I had him and Luke Shaw at Plymouth in League Two before they broke through at Southampton, so it's nice to see them doing well now :P

While Arsenal played well yesterday, it was a weakened Arsenal side playing a very weakened City side who put in very little effort. The result is meaningless.

I do, however, think Arsenal needed the win more than City, to give them some confidence about playing big teams and carry on the momentum from the FA Cup win. Still need a CB, CDM and ST to finish above 3rd.

while the result is pretty meaningless, I do think that it shows Arsenal are on the front foot going into the new season, much as they were last year (apart from the 1st match result). The likes of Ramsey looking sharp is a good sign.

Last season they ran out of steam in the league, as a result of injuries and the likes of Ozil finding an English season hard-going. I don't discount similar happening again, but hopefully they'll hang in there a bit better this time around.

Play Football Manager much?

Perfect timing with my last post, eh? :lol:

It's true, though. They won't finish above third with Giroud and Arteta starting, and if they have two injuries at CB they're screwed (and this is Arsenal, so they probably will). Their main problems last season were in CDM and up front, and neither have been sorted.

while the result is pretty meaningless, I do think that it shows Arsenal are on the front foot going into the new season, much as they were last year (apart from the 1st match result). The likes of Ramsey looking sharp is a good sign.

Last season they ran out of steam in the league, as a result of injuries and the likes of Ozil finding an English season hard-going. I don't discount similar happening again, but hopefully they'll hang in there a bit better this time around.

I agree they'll hang in better this season, but currently still only see them as high as 3rd. With Sanchez and hopefully Walcott for most of the season I think Özil will turn it properly.

While getting those players willl improve their chances, thats not to say they couldnt achieve a top 2 without. Going into last season you would have thought that the flaws in the liverpoool squad would have prevented a top 2 finish as well.

If Ramsey had stayed fit last season they may have been in the mix for the title and thats without Sanchez. I do however worry that the world cup may hit them harder than some of the other teams.

Better squad now. Ozil bedded in. Sanchez is a great signing. They're stronger. Most of the teams going for top 4 are.

Apart from Liverpool and Utd who both needs defenders.

I was at Wembley yesterday. Huge number of empty seats in the City end. Just shows how important the charity shield is to supporters I guess - my ticket was £35 which I thought was fairly reasonable.

In fairness there were a lot of cancelled buses and trains from Manc. Think it was actually a sell out.

I agree they'll hang in better this season, but currently still only see them as high as 3rd. With Sanchez and hopefully Walcott for most of the season I think Özil will turn it properly.

Better squad now. Ozil bedded in. Sanchez is a great signing. They're stronger. Most of the teams going for top 4 are.

Arsenal's squad always looks superb, but their major problem is how many are on the treatment table.

I'd love this season to be different, but I doubt it will be .... and so they'll lose at least one of their major players for most of the season.

Liverpool particularly, tho they do now have Lovren.

I think both clubs have problems outside defence. Liverpool last season had a midfield who didnt support the defence, while man utd seemingly didnt have a midfield at all. Im also confused what the plan is for Liverpool if Sturridge is injured. While i think he is a players who has the confidence to be the main man at the club, surely they need another option up front.