Who else already has their travel masterplan?!

Guest LewesTom

Made the decision to save a day's holiday from work for later in the year as have taken or booked a fair bit already, so for the first time in a long time travelling on the Thursday morning. 7.06 train to London, 8.33 train from Paddington to Castle Cary to arrive at 10.10.

Will hopefully have the bonus of being quieter at Castle Cary than the nightmare Wednesday has become.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been super keen this year and taken a half day off work on the Tuesday so I can get my shit together and get organised.

We'll drop the dog off with the dog sitter, then head up to Wincanton where we're staying the night.

Up at about 5am on the Wednesday morning to head into the festival site and join the queue!

Edited to add I'm also coming from Brighton!

Edited by MissStarlight

I tried that in 2010 (showing off to a friend with my 'local knowledge') and got hopelessly lost in Bruton, which was some feat given the size of the place. Failed to pick up the right road out to Evercreech and ended up joining the main road into Shepton Mallet. BIG MISTAKE. Should have been parking up at 10am, instead parked up in East over 2 hours later, then joined a monster 2 hour queue to get in through Gate B. Finally camped up at 2:30ish. 6.5 hours!! It was the last World Cup year, but even so.

This year, I shall be cross-countrying it for the first 20 miles only joining the A303 PAST Stonehenge, then picking up the A371 at Wincanton. Usually quite a quiet road, even though it goes through Castle Cary.

be careful if your intention was to head to Evercreech and then cross the A371 down Easton Lane to exit opposite the entrance to Blue Route....Easton Lane is closed off to stop folks doing exactly that.

there are other ways though..... ;-)

Thanks Oblong (not allowing me to reply directly) will pass these comments onto the b/f, he's driving. Our problem is we are also travelling in convoy with someone who has only just passed their test so hasn't done a lengthy motorway journey before. Must prepare for stops!

Funnily enough I have no memory of getting in last year which must mean it wasn't particularly difficult or painful.

I certainly remember 2010 due to the humungous queues in the burning sun. (Gate D). We still had a good laugh int he queue but was flaking by the time we got to setting tents up. I think the only fluid we had readily available in the queue was cider. #badplanning

Last year was my shortest trip in ten years going to the festival (Cornwall / Aberdeen etc before) now just got to leave Yeovil and meet mates from Cornwall at Glastonbury Tesco's around 7am Wednesday morning and get in the queue! (By the way they did freshly baked croissants in Tesco that morning!)

Leave Glasgow 10am on the Monday (32 of us in 2 minbuses)

Drive down to glastonbury town

Overnight in hotel in Glastonbury

Tuesday go up the Tor etc

Meet 3rd minibus and transit van (another 20 peeps which are leaving tuesday am) with all the camping gear in at pub just outside Glastonbury (watch England game and have bbq at the pub)

Leave pub about 00:00/01:00 and head for the carparks.

Join queue (where myself and the other 3 drivers will start drinking)

In and tents up by 09:00 (hopefully)

:beach::beach::beach::beach::beach::beach: