Who else already has their travel masterplan?!

Guest LewesTom

Travelling from Wakefield, leaving at 2.30am ish on Wednesday morning. Coffee break at Birmingham and Bristol. Get to site about 9am hopefully (going for Gate D). Schlep the tent to Bushy Ground. 2nd trip for the beers. Then a beer or two and a little nap methinks!

Edited by shukeli

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday morning, going to Kettering with my missus to have her first scan. Driving up to Burton on Trent almost immediately afterwards to drop the dog off at my parents. Staying overnight.

Tuesday morning driving down to Street to stay in a hotel overnight. Will be heading up to the Tor to watch the sunset providing the missus is up to it, the weather stays alright and the parking is manageable.

Wednesday, leaving hotel around 6:30 after a decent breakfast and then heading towards orange or yellow car parks (hopefully) with the intention of being in Rivermead again.

well due to where I live - we have to catch a bus - then a tube - and then switch to a train to reach the crew pick up point { Tuesday Noon 24th June }
In fact when you add in time to reach the pickup point and ' red tape time ' { as they are crew coaches - there is lots of red tape } that is longer than the actual trip on the Coach.
These Crew Coaches dont hang about so everyone is expected to arrive early for all the red tape and the loading so No 1 coach will depart on the dot at Noon.
they will fill up five coaches and then get ready for the next departure time { they depart every two hours } - anyone who just arrives as they are about to depart will get Booked on the evening coach so they will have lots of time to kick themselves that they did not arrive early.
I don't have a clue what other WBC Organisers tell their volunteers but I know I warn all my Team - they have to be early and everyone in the past has taken my advice.
each year volunteers { not connected to me } will causally walk up and they think they can just hop on - you should see their face when the penny drops.
As its the Tuesday afternoon there is little traffic to worry about - coach will stop for a break but all going well it should arrive between 3pm and 3.30pm - as the Coach drives onsite a GFL official has to come on with their laptop just to issue the crew passes.
Once all the red tape is sorted out the barrier is up and we drive up the production road to our crew campsite
I should have the tents up by 4.30pm and then time for a drink { we have a crew bar - well we are not daft }
I have never heard any noise from the other side of the fence but I know that people are waiting - in the morning I am standing beside Gate D although I suspect they open up Gate A first as I have spotted people walking up from Bushy Ground who were not crew.

Leave Birmingham area sometime around 2pm Tuesday. straight drive down to Michaelwood services. Stop for a break. Need to be on site by 6pm Tuesday evening to get crew pass and stuff sorted. Hoping to have the tent up and cider in hand by 8pm, with a bit of luck. Catch up with old friends and meet some new ones (even if it is only for the week)

Mega plan of mega travel.

Homeland: Manchester.

Leave Manchester Monday morn as I have to go spend the day in London in work. Will spend the day engaging in team building by discussing Glastonbury with team who couldn't get tickets.

From London to Birmingham Monday night to pick up my niece for her first Glastonbury that I've been waiting to take her to for 17 years!

Train from Brum at 10am to Bristol, meet a few of our gang, then bus from Bristol to Glastonbury Town, check in to hotel. Many beers. Rest of the Tuesday night lot turn up then.

Bus at 7am from Glastonbury Town to gate A. Schlep from Gate A to Dairy Fields (Arcadia is where I usually camp, sob), hope to have all the tents up by 11am. Much rejoicing.

well due to where I live - we have to catch a bus - then a tube - and then switch to a train to reach the crew pick up point { Tuesday Noon 24th June }
In fact when you add in time to reach the pickup point and ' red tape time ' { as they are crew coaches - there is lots of red tape } that is longer than the actual trip on the Coach.
These Crew Coaches dont hang about so everyone is expected to arrive early for all the red tape and the loading so No 1 coach will depart on the dot at Noon.
they will fill up five coaches and then get ready for the next departure time { they depart every two hours } - anyone who just arrives as they are about to depart will get Booked on the evening coach so they will have lots of time to kick themselves that they did not arrive early.
I don't have a clue what other WBC Organisers tell their volunteers but I know I warn all my Team - they have to be early and everyone in the past has taken my advice.
each year volunteers { not connected to me } will causally walk up and they think they can just hop on - you should see their face when the penny drops.
Edited by thomfrench

Leave Glasgow 10am on the Monday (32 of us in 2 minbuses)

Drive down to glastonbury town

Overnight in hotel in Glastonbury

Tuesday go up the Tor etc

Meet 3rd minibus and transit van (another 20 peeps which are leaving tuesday am) with all the camping gear in at pub just outside Glastonbury (watch England game and have bbq at the pub)

Leave pub about 00:00/01:00 and head for the carparks.

Join queue (where myself and the other 3 drivers will start drinking)

In and tents up by 09:00 (hopefully)

:beach::beach::beach::beach::beach::beach:

Leaving Essex at 2pm on the Tuesday, heading to our hotel in Shepton Mallet. Watch the football, have a hearty dinner, and a few beers, good nights sleep, then looking to drive the last couple of miles at 7.30 the next morning.

We usually go into the car parks down Pyle Lane as we've historically gone North up the A37 (in fact, I've sadly, just sat on Google Earth following the route in...) Can anyone tell me the name of the road that leads into the Purple car parks, as this year we'll be heading down the A37 instead.

My crew and I will be leaving the Newcastle area somewhere in the region of 23:00 - 00:00 on the Tuesday. Going by last year's times, and factoring in a half hour stop to stretch our legs and for the driver to fill up on coffee, we should arrive on site and be in the queue by around 05:00.

Leaving Rosslare on the 21:00 sailing on Tuesday 24th June which arrives in Fishguard at 00:15. Hoping to be off the ferry and on the road by 00:45.

Probably looking at around a 3hr 45min drive (fully loaded campervan) and stop for 30mims.

Hoping to arrive in CV West sometime between 5.00-5.30am on the Wednesday morning!

Edited by Festivalnut87

Half day work in City on Tuesday.

Back to Croydon, change, in car and travel to Cobham Services to meet other car.

Drive in convoy to Yeovil Podimore travelodge, get there before 5 for England game.

Dinner, drink & bed.

Up the A37 at 6:00 to get on site asap.

Can't wait.

I think my train leaves West Drayton (west London) at 06:49 in the morning Wednesday. After a change at Reading I will be at Castle Cary just after 9. I'm hoping the queues won't be too brutal when I arrive at the train station (someone reassure me?). Then onto the site to join the queue at gate A (I think?). If last years queue is anything to go by then I should be in the site itself after an hour of queueing. I remember it wasn't much of a wait because my friends who had been in the car park tuesday night got in after I did, much to their annoyance ;)

I think my train leaves West Drayton (west London) at 06:49 in the morning Wednesday. After a change at Reading I will be at Castle Cary just after 9. I'm hoping the queues won't be too brutal when I arrive at the train station (someone reassure me?). Then onto the site to join the queue at gate A (I think?). If last years queue is anything to go by then I should be in the site itself after an hour of queueing. I remember it wasn't much of a wait because my friends who had been in the car park tuesday night got in after I did, much to their annoyance ;)

Used to do the hotel thing on the tuesday, but since 2010 (and the opening of the carparks on tuesday night) it sets you back - you end up in a massive traffic jam anyway (as you always do) but a million other people have beat you to the punch in getting a space!

Finish work Monday :)

Hitch up the trailer tent and leave Coventry around midday Tuesday, drive down to Michealwood services and stopping in a room at the hotel there...

Just gotta hope that the car and trailer make it through the night OK and then leave around 4-5am to join the queues...

Great being able to drive straight to our pitch though, if all goes to plan we'll be having a wander round with a cider by 12pm :)

Leaving Essex at 2pm on the Tuesday, heading to our hotel in Shepton Mallet. Watch the football, have a hearty dinner, and a few beers, good nights sleep, then looking to drive the last couple of miles at 7.30 the next morning.

We usually go into the car parks down Pyle Lane as we've historically gone North up the A37 (in fact, I've sadly, just sat on Google Earth following the route in...) Can anyone tell me the name of the road that leads into the Purple car parks, as this year we'll be heading down the A37 instead.