Line Up Incredulity! - The Other Stage Conspiracy

Guest wrongturn

I will add that I was on a real bummer as I couldn't go - not because I didn't have a way in but because my Dad was expecting a heart op at any day so I was kind of stressed Loads of what i saw on TV failed to lift my shitty mood but Rita Ora, Example and Chic impressed me loads whereas the acts I mentioned did zip for me. I'm sure that had things been different I might have enjoyed it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just watched the video posted above. I think my friends went to see Jake Bugg last year, I can't quite remember.. and my 14 year old step brother has taught himself how to play one of his songs on guitar. That's about all I know of him up until I watched that video. I can't get my head around his voice, surely he doesn't sound like that when he's speaking?

He also doesn't seem at all interested in entertaining the crowd. Hardly any movement from him, it almost looks like it's a chore for him, and he's thinking about what he might have for dinner instead.

I'm sure he is great for those that like him, but he looks incredibly boring to someone who has no idea about him. Each to their own. I can only assume they didn't want too big of a band against Metallica, no one can deny the risk of putting Metallica as a headliner, they would want to ensure they get as much of a crowd as possible.

I think that the Other Stage headliners are indeed questionable.Although I wasn't there, on TV The XX and Portishead came across as downright dull. (This was confirmed by a friend who took shelter from The XX in her tent) Jake Bugg may be popular with the youngsters but it's hardly going to be a spectacular knees up is it? Only a few years ago we had Prodigy, Groove Armada, Queens Of The Stone Age, Pet Shop Boys -in other words stuff you can jump around to. - big lights, lasers, a proper show.

There are other factors beyond size/popularity though. I think most people would agree that certain acts work better on certain stages, times of day, etc.

My opinion is that as a very young, inexperienced solo act that plays the guitar while singing he might seem lost trying to fill the headline slot on the other stage. Bands have it a bit easier because the focus isn't all on one person. Solo acts that aren't playing an instrument can dance around a bit to fill the stage. More experienced acts generally have better stage presence.

He seems a bit lost here on the Pyramid Stage:

But maybe he's got better live since then?

A lot of people described Jake Bugg as the new Bob Dylan so I had to have a look at him. Have to say he reminds me more of George Formby than Bob Dylan.

As for which slot a band plays I think there are a lot of different things that go into the mix, only one of which would be who has sold more records. Could be Pixies asked for that particular slot.

I for one am happy because if I am not working I get to see both them and Metallica.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

Pixies vs Metallica would've been a ridiculous clash. they were originally supposed to sub them, so having them up against them just wouldn't of made sense. Jake Bugg provides a great counterpoint to Metallica (although maybe not as good as a big dance act would've)

but yeah, as many have said, Jake Bugg taking that slot is a huge blessing as it stops that awful awful clash (although provides a whole new one with Pixies vs Jack White)

There are other factors beyond size/popularity though. I think most people would agree that certain acts work better on certain stages, times of day, etc.

My opinion is that as a very young, inexperienced solo act that plays the guitar while singing he might seem lost trying to fill the headline slot on the other stage. Bands have it a bit easier because the focus isn't all on one person. Solo acts that aren't playing an instrument can dance around a bit to fill the stage. More experienced acts generally have better stage presence.

He seems a bit lost here on the Pyramid Stage:

But maybe he's got better live since then?

seetickets just popped up on my Facebook news feed announcing a new Jake Bugg tour - he's playing some arenas as well as London Alexandra Palace, so i guess there must still be sizeable interest in him

(although had a look at the Liverpool date and he's not playing the main arena room - just the smaller one. thought that seemed far too big for him)

We were chilling in the afternoon sun near the pyramid and overheard a somewhat uninspiring Jake Bugg set last year, a world apart from the electrifying performance that Portishead put in on the Friday, which was a stand out gig in my experience of decades of live music. There is no accounting for taste of course, but I didn't hear anything that made my ears prick up.