Headliner clues from Michael

Guest SonOfTroyMcClure

The nature of the chat on here suggests to me that even after Metallica are confirmed there will be some expecting/hoping/predicting Prince et al still to be announced to headline the Saturday. Too much denial going on for a mere confirmation from the festival to put people off dreaming up a way for their favourite act to be confirmed.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The nature of the chat on here suggests to me that even after Metallica are confirmed there will be some expecting/hoping/predicting Prince et al still to be announced to headline the Saturday. Too much denial going on for a mere confirmation from the festival to put people off dreaming up a way for their favourite act to be confirmed.

Thing is though Metallica are very much a 'super act' in terms of record sales/touring numbers etc. The fact that some people fail to realise that is down to their own misconceptions, nothing else.

the reason that many people fail to realise that is because despite them being that, they're still a niche act.

Most acts of similar size tend to have fans across all of the spectrum. The likes of Metallica do not.

You're not related to Michael by any chance, are you? :P

So I heard (tho I was drunk at the time, didn't take it in as well as I might, and might have entirely misunderstood the whole thing :lol:), Michael has a young relative called Will who's been badgering him to have more metal, and likes to tell people that one day soon he'll be running Glastonbury's metal stage.

But that might all be the effects of drink.

What I'm looking forward to is the look on the faces of those who've just stayed rather than moving to another stage. I can just imagine people watching Elbow, for example, because they love 'One day like this' then being blasted with 'Creeping death'. It'll be even better than the Mumfords fans bewildered looks during 'Stagger Lee' last year.

This is exactly it.

The first part of my post mentioned that Metallica were a huge act, but perhaps not to those who don't particularly like that genre or Metallica themselves - this includes me, not a huge fan of metal.

They don't have the mainstream appeal of most 'huge' acts, but there aren't enough of those acts for Glastonbury to have every year.

Metallica will be friggen awesome. Everyone I know going is well excited about it! its gonna be immense.. If you aren't bothered go somewhere else, beyonce was a truly horrific choice of headliner for me, so I went somewhere else that night..and it was badass wherever I went!. In all honesty I don't tend to watch headliners, so am usually elsewhere, but not this year. Sat night The Pyramid is gonna be rocking. Damn right

Edited by Perks

Thing is though Metallica are very much a 'super act' in terms of record sales/touring numbers etc. The fact that some people fail to realise that is down to their own misconceptions, nothing else.[/quote

Im not sure many of the comments I've read here are in any way doubtful of the calibre of Metallica. They are a massive band. No question.As for being open minded, having misconceptions etc. Its certainly not that in my case or I would say for most real music fans.But,being blunt, I could probably find something to happily listen to in any genre of music except metal.I honestly believe for most people not enthusiastic about this booking it really is a question of personal taste. Whatever way you want to look at it, its a polarising choice of headliner and certainly not common demoninator stuff like some previous years e.g U2 , Coldplay, Stones etc

Yes - it's certainly a polarizing headliner, the likes of which we haven't seen since Jay-Z. I'm hoping for a good alternative on another stage myself I must admit, but I can understand why Metallica are headlining. I just wish it was a different night - there's something a bit special about Saturday night at the Pyramid that I'll miss this year

Yes - it's certainly a polarizing headliner, the likes of which we haven't seen since Jay-Z. I'm hoping for a good alternative on another stage myself I must admit, but I can understand why Metallica are headlining. I just wish it was a different night - there's something a bit special about Saturday night at the Pyramid that I'll miss this year

Well don't miss it. I am about to start the "well Metallica surprised me" thread before the Monday afternoon posts start to land. Give them 20 mins, if not mooch off and be pleasantly surprised at what you might discover randomly. I did that with Jay z and Gorillaz out of curiosity. Weren't for me but ticked the box just in case.