Lana Del Rey ( confirmed ) :)

Guest ksalem

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think she's f**king amazing and from NFR onwards has absolutely stepped up a gear. Some of my favourite records of the last decade.But I also think she's way better on record than live, and that's absolutely fine. There are artists who are phenomenal live and mediocre recorded. She's the opposite. Almost no acts can do both equally well..

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That review's still baffling, mind - talking about how Lana peaked in the mid 2010s and that she's an "icon for the dour and terminally online"

yeah, that line 'Both Del Rey and the festival saw a peak in the mid-2010s' is so far off the mark.

NFR, which I'd argue is the start of her Imperial phase, is 2019.

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

I think she's f**king amazing and from NFR onwards has absolutely stepped up a gear. Some of my favourite records of the last decade.But I also think she's way better on record than live, and that's absolutely fine. There are artists who are phenomenal live and mediocre recorded. She's the opposite. Almost no acts can do both equally well..

I think sometimes live she attempts to stay in character too much to the detriment of her performance. The quality of the songs however make all of her gigs worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

yeah, that line 'Both Del Rey and the festival saw a peak in the mid-2010s' is so far off the mark.

It certainly feels that way for Coachella, which had slow ticket sales and seems to have more of a "Eh, so what?" quality to it this year.

I'm not as well versed in LDR's music, so I won't jump in on that argument. Though I was under the assumption her recent releases were well received.

I managed to find a copy of the steam on youtube, not sure if it's still up, I think they get taken down pretty quick. 

I think the review is a bit of a hatchet job and it is no way as bad as they are making out. 

It is clear that there are sound issues meaning the vocals are not loud enough in the mix throughout which I think saps the power of the songs.

LDR's voice can be a bit hit and miss live. I thought she was great at glasto (for the set we got) but have seen recordings where it isn't good. 

I'm inclined to think it was mainly sound issues rather than voice issues. 

The production was massive and spotlight have taken a lot of rehearsal so any criticism of not caring or trying is pretty off. 

Totally agree that lana is releasing great albums and so saying she is past her best is frankly ridiculous, I don't think anyone who likes that sort of music and has heard "there's a tunnel..." would think that. 

Also, referencing the review, I know there is a pile on of criticism for coachella this year, and yeah, probably not my jam to be honest, but it's not like it's dead. It's a very different beast to a uk festival and I expect if they pull together a lineup that people like more next year it'll mainly be forgotten.