Where can you take your own alcohol?

Guest dinthepark

This is my first time going to Glastonbury although I've plenty of experience going to other festivals in Scotland. The ones here you can take your own alcohol but it can only be drank in the campsite, they don't allow you to take it into the arena to watch bands.

Is this the same at Glastonbury? Or can you take your own drink with you anywhere?

Backpack is handy for carrying cans. If you're going to be in the same place for a while you might take a coolbag. Some folk put wine or spirit and mixers in a camelback. Anything goes - except no glass is allowed!

Drinks are expensive at Glasto although there is a lots of choice. Some people take all their booze with them, others mix and match. I like to take some wine and spirits with me, then I buy cold mixers from the general stores and the odd cold cider from the bars. Works a treat.

It makes for a long hard day to have stuff in a shoulder bag. I'd recommend a rucksack to spread the weight, and keep cans in the lockup till I pick them up. Travelling light, and a plastic bottle to fill at the water points. I wasn't going to queue for the Guardian bag, but I got several Yeo Valley bags as presents. Yeah, I'm all heart.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't compare Glasto to arena festivals - once you are in you're in. The only exceptions are the campervan fields, which are outside the main festival perimeter and you have to pass in and out each day. Which means you've got to be careful to look after your ticket and run the risk of being searched each time you go in.

You won't be troubled if you want to take in booze but be aware if you're carrying any illegal substances.

Edited by grumpyhack

Don't compare Glasto to arena festivals - once you are in you're in. The only exceptions are the campervan fields, which are outside the main festival perimeter and you have to pass in and out each day. Which means you've got to be careful to look after your ticket and run the risk of being searched each time you go in.

You won't be troubled if you want to take in booze but be aware if you're carrying any illegal substances.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

Good reminder P&P. Our caravan and campers only carry plastic glasses to drink from and even things like Marmite and jam go in the plastic container versions - not glass jars. Wine goes in boxes and beer in cans.

We know that having been many times before but useful advice for people new to the fest - whether in the camping or CV fields.

I am always the designated rucksack carrier.me and the missus carry variously in the bag,baby wipes,sanitiser,sun tan cream,rain coats,plastic bottles with various spirits,cans of cider(never lager warm flat lager is worse than the tuborg at the bars)

tubes of pringles,sweets and cans of mixer to with the spirits.never buy cans or bottles of coke from the shops or ice cream vans they charge anything up to 3 quid for a small bottle of coke.

generally anybody coming with us starts off taking the piss how well organised we are then at some point during the day they'll ask can I just put this in your bag or can I just pinch a can etc. I go back to the car each day to restock cans and booze to save carrying mountains in on the first day