Outkast

100borrowedfilms

As has been said before, there are two ways of reading this

1. Their closest gig to Glasto is in the US a week before :(
  2. They have a whole week after playing their last gig in the US before Glasto! :)

The UK is certainly not the home of festivals any more as lineups are concerned. Even stuff you've never heard of in the US is delivering spades more than we get.

yeah a good chunk American lineups make me incredibly envious. obviously it's because a lot of the bands i love are American and so these festivals are on their doorstep, but still, all of these fantastic bands touring so close to Glastonbury and more than likely not travelling over is a killer

The UK is certainly not the home of festivals any more as lineups are concerned. Even stuff you've never heard of in the US is delivering spades more than we get.

Woah, let's not go over the top now! Some decent stuff on that Firefly lineup but lots of dross too. I can't imagine anyone here would be too happy with Sky Ferreira and Tegan and Sara being named in the top dozen or so acts!

And Jack Johnson as a headliner, lol

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

Woah, let's not go over the top now! Some decent stuff on that Firefly lineup but lots of dross too. I can't imagine anyone here would be too happy with Sky Ferreira and Tegan and Sara being named in the top dozen or so acts!

And Jack Johnson as a headliner, lol

the fact that Jack Johnson can headline festivals in America is just crazy to me. those silly yanks!

and whilst definitely not anywhere near the top of the bill, if both Sky Ferreira and Tegan & Sara are at Glasto, i'll more than likely be there (along with a large handful of other bands on that lineup)

Edited by FloorFiller

the fact that Jack Johnson can headline festivals in America is just crazy to me. those silly yanks!

and whilst definitely not anywhere near the top of the bill, if both Sky Ferreira and Tegan & Sara are at Glasto, i'll more than likely be there (along with a large handful of other bands on that lineup)

The Sky Ferreira album is actually pretty good. Quite surprising really, I thought she was just some over hyped hipster/model.

The Sky Ferreira album is actually pretty good. Quite surprising really, I thought she was just some over hyped hipster/model.

Just saying we'd be pretty amazed if she were in the top dozen or so acts announced for a big festival over here. Firefly has 60,000 punters and she's supposed to be one of the big draws.

Just saying we'd be pretty amazed if she were in the top dozen or so acts announced for a big festival over here. Firefly has 60,000 punters and she's supposed to be one of the big draws.

but surely similar to how, say, Biffy Clyro can headline our festivals and yet are right down the bottom of American festival bills (or how Phoenix headlined Coachella but were further down for us)?

nothing to do with how big the acts are - just that the quality (for me, personally, i must add) is a lot better overall

But Phoenix have never had anything close to OutKast's level of success in Europe...

I don't think it's totally unrealistic to think OutKast would sub in the UK. But if they do it'll be somewhere like Wireless or Reading where the big pay day is still on offer. I don't see them offering to sub to Kasabian at a discounted price anytime soon.

I feel inclined to point out that Phoenix are massive in Europe :P Its only the UK they've failed to really crack (which is a shame)

Anyway, yeah Outkast are a lot more successful here than Phoenix, they've had two top 10 albums and about half a dozen top 10 singles, something Phoenix don't come close to

but surely similar to how, say, Biffy Clyro can headline our festivals and yet are right down the bottom of American festival bills (or how Phoenix headlined Coachella but were further down for us)?

nothing to do with how big the acts are - just that the quality (for me, personally, i must add) is a lot better overall

Biffy Clyro weren't high up on bills after one album. Nothing against Phoenix but them as a headliner is more evidence the grass isn't greener in the US.

Headliners aside, that Firefly lineup looks no better than an average Bestival/Latitude lineup to me, and it's bigger than either. Who else is it on there that's got you so excited?

Biffy Clyro weren't high up on bills after one album. Nothing against Phoenix but them as a headliner is more evidence the grass isn't greener in the US.

Headliners aside, that Firefly lineup looks no better than an average Bestival/Latitude lineup to me, and it's bigger than either. Who else is it on there that's got you so excited?

for me personally, i'd take:

Outkast, Weezer, Chance The Rapper, Sleigh Bells, Tegan & Sara, Iron & Wine, Sky Ferreira, tUnE-yArDs, Phosphorescent, City & Colour, Local Natives, Phantogram, Washed Out and Young The Giant

none of which are HUGE names (well, apart from Outkast of course) but those acts would suit me down to the ground, and if Glastonbury has even just a couple of the best ones, i'd be over the moon

why do you think Sky Ferreira is high on the lineup by the way? maybe i've missed it but all of the announcements i've seen are seemingly in random order / alphabetical

The likes of tUnE-yArDs or Phosphorescent certainly aren't impossible dreams (unless there are any clashes that I'm unaware of.)

yeah there are a few on there that i'm really hoping make the trip over. can't be bothered checking all of those acts tour dates to make sure but i'm sure SOME of them will do Glasto

You've named 14 acts there - surely for anyone with a good, broad taste in music (as you certainly appear to have) there are at least that many acts at any decent UK festival? Weezer, Sleigh Bells, Iron & Wine, Tune-Yards, Phosphorescent, City & Colour and Local Natives (at least) have all played UK fests in recent years and surely many of those named will be on the UK circuit this year. I just don't buy the 'US festivals have better lineups' argument, and I'm surprised to see people on this thread thinking otherwise. Perhaps it's just because their lineups come out earlier?

yeah there will almost definitely be that many acts in Glasto's lineup that i like, but American lineups always seem to have my FAVOURITE acts (Coachella's lineup is another one i'm particularly envious of this year, although last years was absolutely appalling, so i guess it goes both ways)

although i'm not gonna lie, this is somewhat based on last years Glasto lineup, which i wasn't over the moon about. this years' may be completely different and totally change my mind. here's hoping. imo, 2011's lineup, for me, was almost perfect (even though i didn't go)

So they are playing a festival in the states the weekend before Glastonbury, does that make them more or less likely to appear?

Both.

As someone mentioned previously on here or another thread it could mean it's their last gig before coming over to the UK, or it could mean they're going to be playing in America still.

As long as they don't get announced anywhere else Glastonbury weekend (or the US the weekend after) that seems too far to travel then i'd say we can write them off.