2014 1st headliner

Guest luckysalt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue is because there is only one major heavy festival in the UK despite the general climate towards festivals being very hostile Download is probably the only festival along with Glasto that can get away with duff bookings.

If any one of R&L/V/IOW/T in the Park book poorly a large amount of their audience can be accommodated by other festivals however Download has a niche that it has a near total monopoly over; if routine goers don't like the line-up there won't really be anywhere else for them to go, so they'll probably bite the bullet, buy a ticket and hope there are some good acts on the undercard.

I'm sure they would love Foo Fighters but I think 2015 is more likely. Pearl Jam seem the obvious choice as a new for Download but already established headliner. Van Halen are an outside bet. One thing I can't see is Nickelback and A7X being two of the three headliners, way too risky in my option unless they by some miracle had AC/DC or Zeppelin as the third headliner. With a strong chance of Metallica & QOTSA being at R&L it would seriously harm their ticket sales.

I'm sticking by my predication of A7X, Pearl Jam & Aerosmith although that's probably wishful thinking as much as anything.

I'm sure they would love Foo Fighters but I think 2015 is more likely. Pearl Jam seem the obvious choice as a new for Download but already established headliner. Van Halen are an outside bet. One thing I can't see is Nickelback and A7X being two of the three headliners, way too risky in my option unless they by some miracle had AC/DC or Zeppelin as the third headliner. With a strong chance of Metallica & QOTSA being at R&L it would seriously harm their ticket sales.

I'm sticking by my predication of A7X, Pearl Jam & Aerosmith although that's probably wishful thinking as much as anything.

Metallica are a touring band that would sell shed loads of tickets, will have played once in the UK in the previous three years and not at R&L in six years so I'd say there is a reasonable chance. They are also a core R&L band over the last twenty years so I see no reason why they wouldn't be booked.

they play R&L off the back of a new album, they don't have one. They've already done the last album at R&L and the only way they got the big thing at Download was the album in full thing.

Edited by BTK1609

I think maybe nickelback as a sub would possibly work. They've never played a UK festival, well i don't think so, meaning there is no previous indication of if they are diva's on festival position or if they're easy and just happy to play.

They sell out arenas but then again so do 30stm, BFMV, QOTSA, Biffy Clyro and they all subbed. Yes they'd be a big sub but i think they'd be a fairly decent booking in that slot.

I think it would be similar to 30stm, plenty of people up the front enjoying it, everyone else chilling at the back with it as background music or off elsewhere

I think maybe nickelback as a sub would possibly work. They've never played a UK festival, well i don't think so, meaning there is no previous indication of if they are diva's on festival position or if they're easy and just happy to play.

They sell out arenas but then again so do 30stm, BFMV, QOTSA, Biffy Clyro and they all subbed. Yes they'd be a big sub but i think they'd be a fairly decent booking in that slot.

I think it would be similar to 30stm, plenty of people up the front enjoying it, everyone else chilling at the back with it as background music or off elsewhere

Of course? I wouldn't be so sure. Look at florence and R+L last year, she was selling a shitload of tickets and only subbed R+L and she fits there demographic more than nickelback fit downloads. If you look at R+L and Download subs from the past few years are they really that much bigger, i don't think so.

SOAD, Chase and Status, NIN, BFMV, QOTSA, 30STM, Paramore, Florence, The Black Keys, Biffy Clyro, Soundgarden. The Strokes, Elbow.

5 of those bands played the 02 around their festival slot and I think chase and status, NIN, SOAD would all play the 02 if they did a headline UK tour.

Yes they could headline but its not out the question they would sub.

I've seen Avril Lavigne. She was ok. It was one of those jokey afternoon slots at T and I was pleasantly surprised. I find it strange that people whinge about Nickelback yet the likes of Chase and Status, Prodigy, Pendulum and Skrillex are considered acceptable. They all brought new people to the festival but have less crossover than Nickelback. They would bring a whole new set of fans in for possibly the first (and maybe last) time. They'd be ok with 2 strong headliners. A few beers, get in the mood for a cheesefest singalong and it could actually be quite good. Or I could be wrong. :)

I've seen Avril Lavigne. She was ok. It was one of those jokey afternoon slots at T and I was pleasantly surprised. I find it strange that people whinge about Nickelback yet the likes of Chase and Status, Prodigy, Pendulum and Skrillex are considered acceptable. They all brought new people to the festival but have less crossover than Nickelback. They would bring a whole new set of fans in for possibly the first (and maybe last) time. They'd be ok with 2 strong headliners. A few beers, get in the mood for a cheesefest singalong and it could actually be quite good. Or I could be wrong. :)

I'd be quite happy with them doing Download, saw them in Manchester last year & they were incredible. Seeing them again in London in November. You have to remember the online community is a very very small part of the audience & it seems to be the 'cool' thing to do by hating on Nickelback.

I'd be quite happy with them doing Download, saw them in Manchester last year & they were incredible. Seeing them again in London in November. You have to remember the online community is a very very small part of the audience & it seems to be the 'cool' thing to do by hating on Nickelback.