There has to be a better way to buy tickets

Guest purell

But I suppose it also wouldn't sell out as quickly so it would keep hope alive for longer. I didn't get a ticket in 2011 despite trying on the main ticket day as well as all the resale days and i was lucky this year as I must have gotten them about 2-3 minutes before they sold out. I just think everybody who ends up going should at least be willing to get up early on one Sunday morning. If you are not at least that committed to the cause then I'd rather the ticket go to somebody more worthy.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think that tickets should be sold and fully paid for before any official announcement about acts?

I would have bought my ticket with no hestitation. It might stop the "i will try for the deposit and wait to see if the line up is any good" people. And it should stop casual people who discover their favourite band is playing and jump on the re sale.

In regards to the actual process, well life isnt fair. There is going to be winners are losers which ever way its done as it looks like demand>supply.

Same problem would still exist, just moved to the 'open the doors' point.

I may get flamed for this - but 2013 will be my 7th in a row. I have managed this by being organised, nothing more than that. 8 tickets per transaction? Organise friends into groups of 8. Each of those trying as many methods (laptops, phones, iPads etc) at once. Try from 8.30am onwards. Proven that once 'in' you can get in again - so become friends with other groups organised into 8s. Coordinate efforts through msn messenger, ghat, and now Facebook. Back door links on efests forums, keep that open in another window. I usually go into work on the October sale day as the connection is so much larger.

This is more effort than I feel the average punter goes to, which is why I have been 'lucky' so regularly.

We are an organized lot, as described by a couple of others in the thread. We scored zero in October, we were looking for around 28 I think. Today we were after 11 as others have made other plans. Of that 11 we had lots of people in various locations trying and failing. Eventually we scored 3 tickets on a coach from Swindon, for 3 of us who live on the Lizard!! The others are gutted.

This is after 5 straight wins from 2007-2011, with ever growing numbers, ending up with a full 30+ of us in 2011.

Organisation definitely helps, but there is a huge element of luck.

See you in a few weeks

I believe numbers banded around were 1m trying for 135000 tickets in October. So say 1 in 9 chance on face of it. If there is a group of you trying for each other then odds can be slashed dramatically, as you could of got 8 for your mates. Mind starts boggling with stats thereafter, as you think about superfast connections, and possible edge it gives if your closer to exchange or have a super computer.

I haven't failed to get tickets, and neither have my group since 2007.. Therefore statistically we are stuffed next year, either that or we are lucky...

Its not a perfect system but with a bit of imagination you will get a ticket. Get yourself into a syndicate or get as many friends and rellies to try as well on your behalf, particularly ones that live in supafast broadband areas. If you didnt get one this time out, better luck next year.

I wish people would stop saying that having better broadband fixes it for you, or being "the rich" with fast PCs.

The allocation of server bandwidth that the glasto server offers you on the day is many times smaller than your own personal bandwidth. The bottleneck is at See's place, not yours.

I managed to get tickets thanks to some kind soul helping us out with them. I would say that we are very orgransised, there is just 2 of us and the group of 8 that got tickets in the main sale did so because one person got up!

Yesterday we got a lot of friends (who aren't even going to the festival) to try to get onto the page for us - they also had no luck.

But I have no idea how you could make it fairer, it's just pot luck. I would've been gutted if I didn't get tickets but I would've just said it was the luck of the draw.

I agree that the line-up should be announced after all tickets are sold or maybe keep registration closed after the first sale, so no one else can throw themselves into the pot - maybe.. but then my head goes what about those people who just forgot to renew their details!

In answer to the question, I can see why people would be annoyed, not once did I see a booking page aside from at 8.50 when I was waiting for the buy button to appear!

Ticket suggestion.

Every day from October 350 deposits go on sale as well as 650 tickets requiring full payment. Half of which sold at 7am the other half at 7pm, so people working odd hours get a chance.

This gives those really desperate to go to Glastonbury a better chance as many casual customers will more than likely not be trying everyday for +12 weeks. Also mid-month, many will be waiting for pay day so again, those desperate for tickets will have saved so stand a better chance of purchasing the full price tickets.

Also, to raise more money for charity and to reduce demand. Charge a non-refundable registration fee which goes towards the charities supported by the festival. £10/£20 multiplied by the number of those registered will raise more for charity than the festival has ever managed before.

Also, to raise more money for charity and to reduce demand. Charge a non-refundable registration fee which goes towards the charities supported by the festival. £10/£20 multiplied by the number of those registered will raise more for charity than the festival has ever managed before.

I think See have got it right, I know I would be absolutely gutted if I didn't get a ticket, its a lottery getting them. But I'd rather this than other ticket sites, which sell out to other ticket sites etc, and then they get inflated beyond what people can pay for them.

I do wonder why people go onto the booking site when they have tickets already, I know people want to help, but my thinking is if you stayed off the booking page, would people without tickets have a better chance at getting onto the booking page and getting tickets themselves ? (edited to say unless its part of a group going kinda thing)

Edited by Mrs*E*

I think See have got it right, I know I would be absolutely gutted if I didn't get a ticket, its a lottery getting them. But I'd rather this than other ticket sites, which sell out to other ticket sites etc, and then they get inflated beyond what people can pay for them.

I do wonder why people go onto the booking site when they have tickets already, I know people want to help, but my thinking is if you stayed off the booking page, would people without tickets have a better chance at getting onto the booking page and getting tickets themselves ?

Edited by Alabama shook

I don't have a problem with See, I managed to get a ticket this year - but if I hadn't i wouldn't be blaming the ticketing process. The only fair way I can see would be either

1. Some kind of random selection such as a ballot - the problem is you may never get to go if your number doesn't come up.

2. A "turn" based system - Everyone who goes this year has to re-register and gets put to the back of the queue. Problem would be registration day - same traffic overload.

Why not sell the tickets at 3am - that would sort out some serious punters, or perhaps a 500 word essay to justify your presence at the festival.