There has to be a better way to buy tickets

Guest purell

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seetickets does become a lottery each year. This is wrong. I like the idea that those who most want to get tickets most deserve to get them. If you've organised an army of friends to help you out then good on you I say.

I have been lucky every year so far but not always in the original sale in which case I have then tried seetickets every day since in the hope of a secret sale.

I really think that this long term, slow sale of tricking the tickets online (that I suggested earlier) would benefit those willing to put in the most effort.

This year, most of our crowd failed. The successful ones were either people wanting a cheap stones ticket, people going just to tick glasto off their bucket list and IT geeks. The old hippy crowd who live for glasto and make the festival what it is didn't get a look in and are now slagging the festival off. It's very sad.

If they had 3 months to try for tickets with small batches being released everyday then eventually, those desperate to go who tried every single day would stand a much better chance than a casual glasto goer who's going just to see their favourite Son of Mumford or whoever else. They might as well go to V fest for that.

And this method doesn't have to alter the excellent anti-touting scheme currently in place

I think it would be good if some of the tickets were sold at gigs/weird events/theatres/bookshops/random places like donkey sanctuaries.

So people who aren't computer savvy can have a chance. I think that having all the tickets sell out to people who can jump through all the hoops required means the demographic becomes rather narrow.

I realise my suggestion wouldn't really work with the photo tickets and registration and so on, but I think it would be good to have a bit of an alternative to computers and F5.

That gives you 6 chances every week for 3 months with the system I'm proposing. Let's not forget those who have to work Sunday morning at 9 am who get zero chances with the current system.

These sales I'm proposing would only last minutes don't forget. Wouldn't be hours of your time.

I think it would be good if some of the tickets were sold at gigs/weird events/theatres/bookshops/random places like donkey sanctuaries.

So people who aren't computer savvy can have a chance. I think that having all the tickets sell out to people who can jump through all the hoops required means the demographic becomes rather narrow.

I realise my suggestion wouldn't really work with the photo tickets and registration and so on, but I think it would be good to have a bit of an alternative to computers and F5.

To be honest the way it is done now is as fair as it can be the one thing I wish they could limit is the number of time out's etc as in October we got through 4 times before we actually managed to purchase any tickets.

As I only go with my husband and don't really have many other friends who are interested in going I am technically at a disadvantage but I don't really see anything that could be done to make it fairer other than when you pre-register you already provide all your payment details etc so that all you have to do is actually get on the landing page and click a box that says you agree to pay the price.

Though it does still annoy me when people who couldn't be arsed to get up get the tickets but then maybe that's down to those who put the work in to be more discerning. I'm not sure I'd be willing to buy a ticket for somebody who wasn't willing to get up as well to maximise my chances of attending.

Digi, on 22 Apr 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Now this I do agree with - bring back buying tickets for your local independent record stores. I have had some great times being sat in a queue for hours waiting for record stores to open - I would get my ticket and then browse for something to buy - Win/win - I get to go to whatever gig and the shop profits

Edited by bsolxiv

Yeah I think the expense is the problem - installing the system, extra staff to deal with it, the issues of supervising and simply not being able to handle the queues that build up.

Edited by Digi

Yes maybe too easy for touts. Maybe you coukd just buy a code or voucher and then trade it in for a photo ticket? Dunno really but current system seems like a military operation rather than a "woo let's go to a festival" vibe.

I know it is simply supply and demand though.

Actually, thinking about it now, you can actually register with the festival office via snail mail. All you would need to take a long with you would be your registration number

As for the queues - the queues would be nothing like they were 20 odd years ago when that was THE only way we could buy tickets to gigs.

But then what would the record shop do with that number? I suppose they'd basically be doing what you're doing now at home - logging into seetickets and using the number you'd physically given them to buy your ticket for you. Would they have the equipment and time to process a ticket at that point and print it off or would they just give you a completed order and tell you it will be in the post? For people without computer access it would work in theory but do you say you can only get tickets at the record shops (leading to massive logistical headaches due to the sheer volumes of people) or do you say that you can do both (which makes it sort of pointless as tickets sell out so quickly and the window to buy them in a shop would be so small).