The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On the monday morning of last years festival, I saw a nearby group of teens leaving with their bags but having left their tents behind.

After a couple of hours of procrastination (stalling on packing away before having to head back to normality) and keeping a beady eye on the tent to see if the group came back, I thought as I needed a new tent anyway and not liking leaving crap behind, I'll have that!

Turns out it was a Eurohike Avon which looked like it hadn't been used before the festival. It was pretty much spotless and the guy ropes hadn't ever been undone. Will be taking it this year (and bringing it back!) but thought I'd purchase one of these Gelert Mini Tent Canopy so I have something to sit under in case of r**n (NFR NFC obviously).

Not purchased yet but was wondering if anyone had used one before and how good they were? £25 seems like a bargain for a little more space.

gelert-mini-tent-canopy-charcoal-3507-p.

I'm liking the look of that. I have a vango theta 300 and the porch is non existent and pretty useless. Would be great to be able to sit outside my tent sheltered from the sun... Obviously. NFR NFC

Yup, this, or the Anker equivalent are great.

Takes all the pressure off, I needed to keep in touch with my wife and kids even during the debauchery..

So how do they work? Do they come charged? Or you have to plug them in at home till they are fully charged and connect your iPhone let's say when you need to?

Would they last the 5 days?

So how do they work? Do they come charged? Or you have to plug them in at home till they are fully charged and connect your iPhone let's say when you need to?

Would they last the 5 days?

I would say the 16000 would last the 5 days! Depends how much you use your phone. I use mine for photos, and possibly 1 FaceTime from my grandpa. But I need to recharge each night.

On the monday morning of last years festival, I saw a nearby group of teens leaving with their bags but having left their tents behind.

After a couple of hours of procrastination (stalling on packing away before having to head back to normality) and keeping a beady eye on the tent to see if the group came back, I thought as I needed a new tent anyway and not liking leaving crap behind, I'll have that!

Turns out it was a Eurohike Avon which looked like it hadn't been used before the festival. It was pretty much spotless and the guy ropes hadn't ever been undone. Will be taking it this year (and bringing it back!) but thought I'd purchase one of these Gelert Mini Tent Canopy so I have something to sit under in case of r**n (NFR NFC obviously).

Not purchased yet but was wondering if anyone had used one before and how good they were? £25 seems like a bargain for a little more space.

gelert-mini-tent-canopy-charcoal-3507-p.

I like the look of that thing too. Not only can you shelter from the sun or the r**n but it would also act as a useful funnel at night in getting you into your tent. Right when you need some walls for guidance and an attempt at stability there they are for you in the walls of this fabulous tent extension (the real estate guys are gonna love this). The only flaw I can see is that tensioning line at ground floor level at the front entrance. Possibly a trip hazard and / or a slap stick comedy moment to be had there with that in your flight path.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

I like the look of that thing too. Not only can you shelter from the sun or the r**n but it would also act as a useful funnel at night in getting you into your tent. Right when you need some walls for guidance and an attempt at stability there they are for you in the walls of this fabulous tent extension (the real estate guys are gonna love this). The only flaw I can see is that tensioning line at ground floor level at the front entrance. Possibly a trip hazard and / or a slap stick comedy moment to be had there with that in your flight path.

I have bought something similar. If anyone has a coleman instant dome 3, what do you think of it. Will I be ok in it?

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Coleman/InstantDome3FrontExtension.aspx?gclid=CP7R4Pns0MQCFRQatAodZ2oAvA

I like the look of it but wonder if the sleeping area is double skinned?

No it is single skin mate but it had a pretty good waterproof rating. The extension goes right over the top of the sleeping part anyway so am hoping it will be ok. Just wondered if anyone else has one.

No it is single skin mate but it had a pretty good waterproof rating. The extension goes right over the top of the sleeping part anyway so am hoping it will be ok. Just wondered if anyone else has one.

I was told that colemans have an excellent HH rating but you need to drench them first to make the fibres expand and make it truly waterproof?? Did I dream this? I think I'm right.

No it is single skin mate but it had a pretty good waterproof rating. The extension goes right over the top of the sleeping part anyway so am hoping it will be ok.

That good to hear. I know fuck all about tents other than I've had single skinned ones that have led to water dropping on to me from above, and double skinned ones that haven't. Could have been leaks, could have been condensation - too wasted to ascertain.

I was told that colemans have an excellent HH rating but you need to drench them first to make the fibres expand and make it truly waterproof?? Did I dream this? I think I'm right.

That good to hear. I know fuck all about tents other than I've had single skinned ones that have led to water dropping on to me from above, and double skinned ones that haven't. Could have been leaks, could have been condensation - too wasted to ascertain.

We have nothing to worry about anyway, the weather will be glorious.

Unfortunately there is no doubt that I will be sick at some point. I am thinking of it as a challenge to try and overcome rather than a weakness :-)

Are you young? I drink 21.5 hours a day at glasto but never seem to feel ill. When I was a youngster I'd always throw up after a few hours out. My mate threw up outside of her tent last year and the grass was scorched!! Funny really to think our stomachs must be made of sturdy stuff to withstand the acid. ... Sorry... I digress.