Pukkelpop 2013

Guest benrothwell

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just booked my flight (£135 return from Norwich to Schiphol), hotel already sorted so it's just festival ticket and line up I need now!!! I think I'm more excited about this Pukkelpop than any other I've been to - they say absence makes the heart grow fonder so missing out last year has definitely wetted my appetite for this summer. Also got a good feeling about Monday's announcement, partly based on bands touring at that time and who has been confirmed for Rock Werchter (not much there I want to see so far and they always take 3/4 acts each year I'd like at PP).

DiscothequeDave - just seen Snow Patrol on Comic Relief, is it a sign?????

Better bloody not be.

are you in the Holiday Inn?

We got the last couple of reasonably priced rooms at the Villa Saporis, near to the railway station. Bit more pricey than last years hotel but looks worth the extra money.

the line up is still the deal breaker though. If its anything like 2011, we'll probably look elsewhere.

Just booked my flight (£135 return from Norwich to Schiphol), hotel already sorted so it's just festival ticket and line up I need now!!! I think I'm more excited about this Pukkelpop than any other I've been to - they say absence makes the heart grow fonder so missing out last year has definitely wetted my appetite for this summer. Also got a good feeling about Monday's announcement, partly based on bands touring at that time and who has been confirmed for Rock Werchter (not much there I want to see so far and they always take 3/4 acts each year I'd like at PP).

DiscothequeDave - just seen Snow Patrol on Comic Relief, is it a sign?????

I'm booked at the Holiday Inn Express but you're right Johny, it has got very expensive. Think it probably will be Eminem as the big announcement for both festivals, although I'm hoping it's someone else. Wasn't sure if Lowlands would book him as they seem to shy away from big name (and expensive) headliners. Never really understood that as they sell out in hours every year and have the money sitting in the bank for months? Granted they have a smaller capacity than Pukkelpop but I've read interviews in the past with one of their promoters saying they don't have the money to spend on big names.

Just had a look at your hotel Dave, very nice! You done well with it too as all they've got left now are suites at about a grand a pop! Fingers crossed we're all happy with the first names they give us on Monday!

First names are up. Not bad.

Pleased about Neil Young. Not bothered about Eminem, but that was always a gimme that he'd be there.

Are they really implying that The XX are the third headline act? They were very good in the Marquee in 2010, but a main stage headliner...?

NIN might be good. The Prodigy always are (if they bother to show up on time).

Franz Ferdinand were rubbish in both 2004 and 2005. Think I'll swerve them this time.

Very pleased to see that Arctic Monkeys aren't on the list...

Edited by Trufflehound

Nine inch Nails both the best and most dissapointing festival bands ive seen ..... leeds 07 WOW

soni 09 .. meh .,..... best band on the lineup for me though but doubt i will go ... never know though

once again if anyone want my food and drink vouchers .. have 2 sets will be 25 quid each

ooo just noticed Opeth .. amazing band

Headliners: Eminem was predictable, Neil Young is fantastic and The XX is a joke, isn't it? They are not so big to headline a major festival.

Rest: I miss classic punk - melodic hardcore bands like every year. Shelter stage will be full of metal and teenager emohardcore shit...

My opinion... not bad, not good... the only surprise for me is Quicksand... rest of the names (except NIN and Deftones and Frank Turner) are boring and predictable

Edited by johnybegood

never been on any rock festival seem like pretty good lineup so far

(except the 3rd day which is bad)

can you tell me important things about the festival

how is the whether in august usually? also about showers,electricity,food

when the timetable will confirm?

thank you

Well I'm pretty happy with that, considering it's not even half of the acts who will play. Looking forward to the Prodigy, pretty sure they've got some new material ready to play out and the classics will be great to hear again. No one else at the top of the list that really jumps out at me, although I will do some research on the Knife before August as a lot of people rave about them. If you read the press release on the news page, there's no mention of the XX headlining or even closing the Main Stage so I'm not convinced they will top the bill that day. Would love to see Kraftwerk alongside them, that would certainly beef things up but I'm pretty certain there will be someone of that stature announced. Loads of names I haven't heard of that I am looking forward to exploring over the coming months on youtube and myspace, sure there will be a few gems to come out as always. Dance wise, really happy with TEED, SBTRKT, Julio Bashmore, Maya Jane Coles and all the Drum and Bass DJs.

Interesting point at the very end of the press release: 'We’ll be back with more new names even sooner than you expect!' Lowlands are supposed to announce today as well and I thought that would be at the same time as PP (no news on that as I type). I thought it would be that Eminem is playing both festivals but maybe that's not the case and it's someone else??? I'm wondering if we will hear something from them both later this afternoon?????

Frankly Mr Shankly - although the stage breakdowns have not been released, I'm pretty sure all the acts you mentioned will play the Main Stage so there won't be any clashes. The Main Stage is the only outdoor stage at the festival and the Marquee (which is the second stage and is a tent) would not be big enought to house either the Prodigy or NIN. I haven't been to R/L so can't draw direct comparision but PP does usually get about 40 or so bands from their line up each year. What I can say though is that PP is an amazing festival that always has a great, trouble-free atmosphere where people just come to have a huge party. It's extremely well organised - you hardly have to queue for anything all weekend - and the line up is solid across a whole range of genres. My advice is come along to PP, you won't regret it at all!

amfest12 - aside from 2011, it's been warm and sunny every year I've been. I've never camped but they do have showers and there are mobile phone charging points in both the camp and festival sites (if this is what you mean by electricity?). Loads of food options both in the arena and campsite, as well as on the road outside (which is cheaper). Locals set up stalls in their gardens and sell different food and drinks - beers are cheaper here too but you're not supposed to take them into the arena (easy to do though). Timetable usually comes out a few weeks before the festival but they try to stagger the stages against each other. There will obviously be clashes but they do a pretty good job of spreading it out.

thank you for the good quick answer

are there any cheap hotels near the festival site?

also I want to know if there is a website or something to search partners for the festival cause it doesn't seem I'll find someone from my country...

thanks

Edited by amfest12

i am from the city where Pukkelpop takes place, so you can ask me anything.

@Dave villa saporis is actually 30m from my place :)

you can see the daily schedule at www.pukkelpop.be/en

main stage thursday will be: Fall Out Boy around 7pm, NIN around 9pm, Eminem around 11pm, so Eminem and NIN wont clash.

(probably slayer or deftones will clash with nin thou)

and i've got no connections with the organisation, but i can honestly say it's one of the best festivals in the world: good organized, but still alternative and very relaxed. and i travel a lot, to compare well.

edit: who wants to go and see NIN on Thursday has to be quick. it will sell out before the end of April we guess (cause Nin, Slayer and mostly Eminem are very popular)

best way to look for partners is at their facebook: www.facebook.com/pukkelpop or at www.wattes.nl/forum

the b&b's in the neighbourhood are sold out, but i could advice everyone Ibis, cause it's walking distance to the station where you have a shuttle to Pukkelpop

Edited by mantra

Now I've had time to digest it..

Thursday.

Literally nothing good for me about it. Maybe Eminem at a push, at least I can cross him off the list of bands/artists seen.

Friday

Pleased about Neil Young. I'd imagine the running order would be NY, The Prodigy then Boys Noize to follow. Other highlights are Proxy and Fun will be ok for a Sunny afternoon I suppose.

Saturday

XX headlining, really? As Sempreni says, there should be a bigger band to compliment them. Fatboy Slim to finish the party off would be great. Alabama Shakes are tremendous and Franz Ferdinand are always good to watch in my opinion.

Dance line up is very weak so far.

marks out of 10?......5. Vastly let down by the first night. Might just spend the first night in the Irish Times, but I think it's enough for me to make the trip.