Pukkelpop 2013

Guest benrothwell

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Provided everything falls into place, I should be back next summer for my 6th visit to Pukkelpop!!

Our daughter's arrival a couple of weeks before last year's festival meant I had to give it a miss but I've booked the dates in and started to make provisional travel plans. The only question mark really comes down to finance. We moved house a couple of months ago and have quite a lot of plans for various alterations we'd like to make, which of course don't come cheap. Although I still consider Pukkelpop to be excellent value for money, the costs have gone up massively since I first went in 2007. Between flights, ticket, hotel, car hire and money for beer and food, I spent over £1000 in 2011. I'm not sure I can justify the hotel now so may well look to camp this time round. Having a proper bed and shower is lovely but I stay in the room on my own and it's coming in at around £360 for 4 nights. I always fly to Amsterdam and drive down but the friends I go with went via Eurostar last year (as they live in Ashford and will be doing the same this year) so I'd have to cover the car hire and petrol costs on my own. I think I'll price up the train from Amsterdam to the Belgian border and use that if it's a lot cheaper. I'm sure I will get everything sorted but it's going to need some financial discipline over the next few months!

As for rumours, I haven't picked up much yet but there's a few early indicators around. Frequency Festival in Austria (which is the exact same dates as PP) announced some bands this week, one of which was SOAD. They also announced Nice Cave and the Bad Seeds, who has a history with PP (think he's played 5 or so times before), so I'll be surprised if he isn't there. Arctic Monkeys have been ruled out for Rock Werchter so could be a possibility. There's another RW line up announcement in the next two weeks so that may well rule out a few others. There's also usually some overlap between the Pinkpop and PP line ups so Queens of the Stone Age are another one to consider.

As for who I would like to be there, I think the Chemical Brothers and Underworld are long overdue return visits (not even sure if the latter are around this summer but I live in hope!). I'd love the Stone Roses but that isn't going to happen, same probably goes for Daft Punk. Orbital would be nice, along with Tame Impala and Friendly Fires. Got loads of DJs I'd like to see as well but won't bore you all with the list!!

First self-confirmation is in - the Irish band Kodaline. They announced it during a Dutch gig this week, as well as saying they will also be at Lowlands.

There was a picture of a hand-written summer festival schedule for the Polyphonic Spree doing the rounds a month or so ago that had PP on it. A few of the other festivals listed had the wrong dates though, which casted doubt on its authenticity.

On the plus side, Werchter have got Kings of Leon, thus saving us from their drudgery. However, does Depeche Mode being there 100% rule them out for Pukkelpop, if so that's left me disappointed at best. Would also have liked to see of Monsters and Men at Ppop.

I'm not going to commit to being concerned about the Ppop lineup yet, I've looked back at their history and they nearly always deliver, but with Green Day, Depece Mode, Blur unlikely due to Werchter I'm wondering where they are going to pull the big names in from (by that I mean headliners, they always deliver further down the bill).

If it was, as speculated above, Eminem, SOAD and AN Other, I would be disappointed. That said, there is plenty more to do there than watch headliners. With no sense or reason, I am going to go for Eminem (disappointingly), Some metal band, someone huge in Belgium. Weak guess I know.

If Jurassic 5 play, I will forgive one weak headline act.

if Lowlands is any sort of guide to Ppop, I'll take Alabama Shakes and Slayer right now

Edited by TheNewUnion

On the plus side, Werchter have got Kings of Leon, thus saving us from their drudgery. However, does Depeche Mode being there 100% rule them out for Pukkelpop, if so that's left me disappointed at best. Would also have liked to see of Monsters and Men at Ppop.

I'm not going to commit to being concerned about the Ppop lineup yet, I've looked back at their history and they nearly always deliver, but with Green Day, Depece Mode, Blur unlikely due to Werchter I'm wondering where they are going to pull the big names in from (by that I mean headliners, they always deliver further down the bill).

If it was, as speculated above, Eminem, SOAD and AN Other, I would be disappointed. That said, there is plenty more to do there than watch headliners. With no sense or reason, I am going to go for Eminem (disappointingly), Some metal band, someone huge in Belgium. Weak guess I know.

If Jurassic 5 play, I will forgive one weak headline act.

SOAD totally passed me by, so I don't know if they are really big enough to be considered a headline act or not. I know nothing of them, I'm sorry to say.

Basing my thoughts on nothing other than the last few years, PPop seem to have "stadium" acts headlining on one night (Foo's, Maiden, The Killers etc in recent years) then meduim to big acts on the other two.

Looking back on prior years, I think you could expect to see something like Arctic Monkeys, Eminem and SOAD/QOTSA (QOTSA headlined 3 years ago). I will however stand by my Eminem, A Metal Band (SOAD/QOTSA?) and someone massive in Belgium (unless SOAD are the massive in Belgium band, then someone else for the "rockier" slot)

All of this to say, I have no idea but I need some distraction from speculating who will headline Glastonbury, or specifically who will headline alongside Arctic Monkeys, fill in when The Rolling Stones ultimately let the festival down (again) and who will play on the Sunday.

Edited by TheNewUnion

I can't find the source to confirm it but someone on a local forum has said that Polica will be playing. Don't know a lot about them myself but just had a listen on youtube and they sound alright.

I'm always wrong but my predictions for the headliners are Eminem, SOAD and Arctic Monkeys.