Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

laura mvula ,cat power,the strpes .....cant stand jools up gonna watch just to see.....suede sound shite ah soz about this didnt think it had posted and didnt think it right just to start a new thread .......oh god its god music ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with jools cant stand him .....ah said that already best watch the show lol

Edited by guypjfreak

Someone else is hogging the tv just now so taping Jools to watch later, sounds like a good line up tonight.

Advantage of taping it is that I can forward through any of Jools Holland's dull patter.

Taping? Geez are you lot that far behind the times in Elgin that you still got the old VHS on the go? :P

laura mvula ,cat power,the strpes .....cant stand jools up gonna watch just to see.....suede sound shite ah soz about this didnt think it had posted and didnt think it right just to start a new thread .......oh god its god music ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with jools cant stand him .....ah said that already best watch the show lol

Few shandies tonight? ;)

Cat Power looks like she's checking her pockets for her keys.

Brett Anderson does not have a good live voice but really liking The Strypes.

I thought Suede were excellent, I think every now and again Anderson does miss a note but for the most part he's still excellent.

Cat Power & Laura Mvula = not impressed.

The Strypes & John Fullbright = great. Presence, energy, enthusiasm and & talent.

The rest (inc.Suede) = Meh.

Suede's new material isn't great and the 2 guitarists they have now combined aren't a patch on Bernard Butler. It's never going to be anywhere near without him.

a few observations - Holland's piano face is stupid

the strypes - look 14 complete with spots (this is annoying because it makes me feel old, possibly because i am)

james brown impersonator needs to get a size up in his clothes

suede don't have bernard butler in( this is bad)

solo bloke with guitar was pants

i don't understand sleeveless double breasted waistcoats.

Edited by hedgepeg

Cat Power looks like she's checking her pockets for her keys.

Brett Anderson does not have a good live voice but really liking The Strypes.

Having been at Ally Pally i couldn't disagree with you more, personally thought he sounded great on Jools, not as good as ally pally but bands never are as good on TV as they are at gigs.

Suede's new material isn't great and the 2 guitarists they have now combined aren't a patch on Bernard Butler. It's never going to be anywhere near without him.

The 2 guitarist combo, you mean the combo thats been part of Suede since 1996.

Richard Oakes wrote some of suede's best songs with Brett. Bernard was only there for the 1st two albums.

Trash, Filmstar, Beautiful Ones, Saturday Night, Electricity, Can't get Enough, She's in Fashion and obsessions were all written by Oakes and Brett

Don't get me wrong Bernard is an awesome guitarist and I love the first two suede albums, but he hasn't been in Suede for nearly 20 years now, he wasn't in suede when they were at their commercial peak of 'Coming Up' and wasn't in the band when they wrote some of their best known songs.

Fan boy knowledge coming out here but surely you're trolling, didn't know when bernard left the band or are just stupid...

Also Charles Bradley was great another one to see at Glasto :D

• Upvote 1

a few observations - Holland's piano face is stupid

the strypes - look 14 complete with spots (this is annoying because it makes me feel old, possibly because i am)

james brown impersonator needs to get a size up in his clothes

suede don't have bernard butler in( this is bad)

solo bloke with guitar was pants

i don't understand sleeveless double breasted waistcoats.

great post old son agree with you also that cat power only did one silly song and shes headlining ??

Having been at Ally Pally i couldn't disagree with you more, personally thought he sounded great on Jools, not as good as ally pally but bands never are as good on TV as they are at gigs.

The 2 guitarist combo, you mean the combo thats been part of Suede since 1996.

Richard Oakes wrote some of suede's best songs with Brett. Bernard was only there for the 1st two albums.

Trash, Filmstar, Beautiful Ones, Saturday Night, Electricity, Can't get Enough, She's in Fashion and obsessions were all written by Oakes and Brett

Don't get me wrong Bernard is an awesome guitarist and I love the first two suede albums, but he hasn't been in Suede for nearly 20 years now, he wasn't in suede when they were at their commercial peak of 'Coming Up' and wasn't in the band when they wrote some of their best known songs.

Fan boy knowledge coming out here but surely you're trolling, didn't know when bernard left the band or are just stupid...

Also Charles Bradley was great another one to see at Glasto :D

Of those suede songs you mentioned, I don't like any of them. I don't really like their more 'poppy' sound. Maybe like me he just doesn't like post-Bernard version of Suede? They miss his guitar work to me.

None of those songs would fit on Dog Man Star for example - not that they should, it's good to change. I just didn't like what came after. It seemed too obvious - almost like Brett said let's get a bit more mainstream success by writing some 'hits'. I gave up on them a long time ago and to be honest with so many other bands out there, I've no inclination to hear any of their new stuff.

Doesn't mean he's a troll or stupid because he has a different opinion. Nobody is 'right' on this. :)

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't suggesting they're that similar to listeners like you and I...... But to Mr Eavis? All he hears is Roskilde. I wish he could look past it but I really get the impression that he's (slightly understandably) terrified of the same happening on his lovely farm!

Eavis,pisses his pant over roskilde which was a total one off

The songs on are definitely based upon the Coming Up era for me. Big choruses, very much 'pop' songs. Some of the stuff from Dog Man Star resembles this as well, We Are The Pigs, New Generation etc. However there is something about Dog Man Star which is pretty unique, some real moments of genius on that album.

In truth, when I heard Suede were going to 're-create' their sound I was expecting the worst. There's some pretty decent pop songs on the new album, and I don't think being able to write songs like that 20 years later should be underestimated!