Latitude 2013

Gingerbond

You expect wrong. It depends on your personal preferences, I'd much rather walk around Reading than Latitude.

You may well personally prefer it and are perfectly entitled to, I accept that some people (silly people) would rather take the piss up of R&L over Latitude any day. What I'm saying is that after walking round Latitude and seeing where the money goes, can you really say it's too expensive?

Well I've already got tickets (more for the experience than the bands to be fair) and it looks like I'll be Spotifying a lot of music over the coming months! I know I'm a bit out of touch but I've never even heard of half of the acts on the line-up. I was hoping for at least one exciting headliner but none of these are really doing it for me. The 3D Kraftwerk will be kinda cool I suppose.

Beth Orton and Villagers are the only two acts on my "must-see" list so far. Where should I start with anyone else?

If you're into some more chilled out stuff, Beach House and Modest Mouse will be great alternatives to headliners. Also check out loads of the "appearing at other stages", some real gems in there, plus the i arena (whatever it's called this year, the funky one in the woods, ex-sunrise) is such a terrific venue

Edited by Tuna

You may well personally prefer it and are perfectly entitled to, I accept that some people (silly people) would rather take the piss up of R&L over Latitude any day. What I'm saying is that after walking round Latitude and seeing where the money goes, can you really say it's too expensive?

If the things you came across weren't of any interest to you then of course you could.

But you're allowed to expect that everyone would prefer Latitude to Reading, so why aren't I allowed to expect that I wouldn't?

Are you even reading what I'm posting? I didn't say they'd prefer it, I said they wouldn't consider it a rip off because they'd see where their ticket price was going. As you've pointed out, you've never been, so you're uninformed on the matter.

And you saying "If the things you came across weren't of any interest to you then of course you could." is a bit like saying if you don't like metal then Download's tickets are a rip off, or if you're a vegetarian then sausages are a rip off.

Are you even reading what I'm posting? I didn't say they'd prefer it, I said they wouldn't consider it a rip off because they'd see where their ticket price was going. As you've pointed out, you've never been, so you're uninformed on the matter.

And you saying "If the things you came across weren't of any interest to you then of course you could." is a bit like saying if you don't like metal then Download's tickets are a rip off, or if you're a vegetarian then sausages are a rip off.

And what's wrong with that? You asked if someone could really walk around Latitude and still consider it expensive, the answer is yes. That might sound incredulous to you but it's true, and your refusal to accept it and your assertion that all you'd need to do is to walk around Latitude to change your opinion that's it's expensive is pompous superior fanboyism. Value is based on what worth an individual places on something, if I don't happen to place much value on what Latitude (or any other festival or product) offers then it's too expensive in my books. If I don't place any value on metal or meat then there's a good chance that what is being charged for Download or sauages is going to be 'too expensive' in my opinion.

EDIT: Apologies as that fanboy comment is probably a bit harsh, but it just reeks of the "how can you not like Glastonbury, it caters for everybody" cliche.

And I'm not arguing against Latitude, it seems like a great festival and I've said the line-up looks good, it's sweeping generalisations like "anyone who thinks it's expensive just needs to walk around for an hour and they'll change their mind" or "I'm sure people wouldn't be bothered about the price of Latitude compared to Reading if only they spent an hour at both" that I'm calling out.

Edited by mrtourette

How do you know though? Its not a subject you know anything about so best to stop quiet until you do.

Stop quiet?

Anyway I'm not arguing about how good Latitude is (how could I? I've never been), I'm arguing about how silly it is making generalisations like "anyone who thinks it's expensive just needs to walk around for an hour and they'll change their mind".

Haha yeah don't like something accuse the author of trolling.

Well you're clearly determined to have an argument one way or another.

I'm not responding to your bleating anymore, I'll just sum up my point nicely in a neat little package and leave it at that.

Those looking at the Latitude line-up and saying the tickets are too much when you can go to see bigger acts at Reading and Leeds for a similar price aren't taking into account that the ticket price at Latitude is not just for the line-up, it's for much more than that, there's so much more to the festival than just the bands, whereas at R&L you're paying only for those bands.

At no point have I said that a walk around the site will make anybody love the festival, just that you need to actually go there to see what it is that you're paying for.

Well you're clearly determined to have an argument one way or another.

I'm not responding to your bleating anymore, I'll just sum up my point nicely in a neat little package and leave it at that.

Those looking at the Latitude line-up and saying the tickets are too much when you can go to see bigger acts at Reading and Leeds for a similar price aren't taking into account that the ticket price at Latitude is not just for the line-up, it's for much more than that, there's so much more to the festival than just the bands, whereas at R&L you're paying only for those bands.

At no point have I said that a walk around the site will make anybody love the festival, just that you need to actually go there to see what it is that you're paying for.

I love it when people on the internet try to take the 'I'm not arguing any more because I'm better than you' line. Just don't reply dude, you don't have to tell everyonr that you aren't going to reply.

And that is a lovely neat package that makes perfect sense and if that was your point all along then I couldn't afgue with it as it's watertight and logical, unfortuntaly it's not just what you've been saying up until now.

I expect the people with niggles about the price compared to R&L would not be so bothered if they walked round one of the R&L sites for an hour and then spent an hour walking around Latitude.

Yes, to make an informed judgement people should go there, but believe it or not some people will still walk around Latitude and decide that's it's too expensive for them. That is all my point has been, and I've yet to see a decent repsonse to that other than 'lol is he trolling'.

No good old tourettes just very protective over reading festival.

Not so much Reading, I'm just as critical of it as others when I think it's justified (Eminem lol), more the stuck-up superior attitude of "surely if they saw x they would like it/think it's value for money, how could they not?" bollocks. And the answer is always they could not because they think differently.

It just so happens that Reading usually comes up as it's normally the example given by those who go to Glasto/Latitude/EOTR/Bestival/etc. as the devil and the antithesis of everything that a festival should be (although admittedly I brought it up in this case when comparing ticket prices).

I'm a festival veteran so am used to beign patronised by those 'better' people, those 'real' music fans who go to 'proper' festivals, which is why people who can't or won't accept that others don't like the same thing make me laugh and start me 'trolling'.

Not so much Reading, I'm just as critical of it as others when I think it's justified (Eminem lol), more the stuck-up superior attitude of "surely if they saw x they would like it/think it's value for money, how could they not?" bollocks. And the answer is always they could not because they think differently.

It just so happens that Reading usually comes up as it's normally the example given by those who go to Glasto/Latitude/EOTR/Bestival/etc. as the devil and the antithesis of everything that a festival should be (although admittedly I brought it up in this case when comparing ticket prices).

I'm a festival veteran so am used to beign patronised by those 'better' people, those 'real' music fans who go to 'proper' festivals, which is why people who can't or won't accept that others don't like the same thing make me laugh and start me 'trolling'.

Fair point tourette.

Absolutely agree with all this.

Personally, I think Reading has a role and does it well - big names, big acts, and a bit of variety in terms of stages and genres. It's not got "something for everyone", but nor does any festival. I treat it as 'a gig in a field', but I'm OK with that as long as the acts suit me.

Still, I'm increasingly inclined towards these 'proper' festivals after several years of focusing on Reading/Download/Soni and the like. Although part of that's because I've seen most of the huge acts I want to.

The point I was making, which I think we all know, was simply that a festival (and its price) is based on the the various offerings it provides to the customer

R&L has a far bigger music focus, and hence has more and bigger bands, but less stuff to do other than music. it, I expect, pays more for the music and less for the opther stuff

Latitude has less 'big' bands, but compensates by having a much bigger comedy/arts/literature focus, which attracts its own (often different) audience from those who just want the music. It, I expect, pays more for the other stuff and less for the music.

Both can (currently) charge similar amounts for their tickets (providing the tickets keep selling out)

No R&L bashing, no Latitude bashing. No bashing at all! Happy days

Edited by dingbat2

But seriously now, Foals or Beach House, what's a man to do!?

Personally, unless the Special Guests end up w*nk, I'll be watching the first 15 minutes of Foals and if they're cracking, stick around, if not (as I kinda expect), wander off to Beach House.

It's a shame there's not more stuff lower down the Sunday though. Apart from Mum I don't know who I'd be watching until the headliners. Guess that might be the time for a bimble.

The point I was making, which I think we all know, was simply that a festival (and its price) is based on the the various offerings it provides to the customer

R&L has a far bigger music focus, and hence has more and bigger bands, but less stuff to do other than music. it, I expect, pays more for the music and less for the opther stuff

Latitude has a more comedy/arts/literature focus, but has less 'big' bands, but compensates by laving a much bigger comedy/arts/literature focus, which attracts its own (often different) audience from those who just want the music. It, I expect, pays more for the other stuff and less for the music.

Both can (currently) charge similar amounts for their tickets (providing the tickets keep selling out)

No R&L bashing, no Latitude bashing. No bashing at all! Happy days

Agree.

And apologies again to GETOFFMYLAWN, my original point that is seems odd that Latitude is only £12 cheaper than Reading may have been one born of ignorance (or at the very least underestimating the importance of the comedy, etc.), but I still maintain that it's possible for someone not to value that even after they've experienced it. Suggesting otherwise and that if they experience then they wouldn't consider it too expensive is something I'll never be on board with because it can't possibly be right.

Is it just me or is Latitude shaping up as R&L's rival this year? T and V have gone a bit too pop, I'm guessing. Quite a few R&L favourites at the top. And also, quite a few posters who inhabit the R&L bit of the forum are commenting on how good the lineup is, me included. Hmm.

Not that its a very good way of judging, but twitter seems to be that way as well...

Is it just me or is Latitude shaping up as R&L's rival this year? T and V have gone a bit too pop, I'm guessing. Quite a few R&L favourites at the top. And also, quite a few posters who inhabit the R&L bit of the forum are commenting on how good the lineup is, me included. Hmm.

I wouldn't say rival. I imagine the 'Reading goers move onto "proper" festivals' idea is something that FR have considered, and they've decided to try and get them to move onto THEIR "proper" festival. I'm starting to think FR have decided that they'll lose some of the Reading regulars in the next few years, and they've looked to drive them to Latitude this year and get them to get some loyalty to a different festival they run, while bringing in a new market to R+L.

Or maybe I'm just being cynical.