Films

Rufus Gwertigan

relevant I guess: (originally in things that annoy you topic)

Odeon's online booking system. Probably one of the busiest days for them when the star wars tickets went on sale at 8am and to say they were unprepared is an understatement. for the waterloo imax tickets anyway. made themselves look amateur. 

I got through to payment several times just for the system to crash each time..

on the bright side, having someone within walking distance of the cinema itself helps as they could be bought in person, where surprisingly they had a hell of a lot of the tickets left - due to the online system being ineffective.

No. 8pm Thursday. Last Star Wars midnight screening I was at was full of people chatting about it during the movie and a fair few people who had come directly from the pub who were just loud.

This is all I can think.  I'm sure when the cheer goes up for the title people at early screenings will feel exhilarated, but I'd be pretty sure that the spilling over of enthusiasm from the audience would pretty much ruin the film for me beyond that.  I'll be watching at some bizarre matinee slot a few days after release so I can actually enjoy seeing and hearing the film (the sound is almost the best part with the star wars films, I think).

Oh come on :)  Look at the reaction to the three new films :)  Or was you living in a cave or just too young to notice :)

One of those movies were utterly pish. The other two definitely have their moments, but people might have slagged them because George Lucas is dreadful at script writing, and he's not a great movie maker, and thus thought the movie was bad. I'm not sure what you're suggesting was ACTUALLY happening.

I have no doubt that the series is now in much better hands. JJ Abrams is a very good director, and has a good solid base to work with. Plus, he's a fan, so has a fair idea of what a fan would want.

i'll admit, i'm no fan of Star Wars. maybe it's because it wasn't introduced to me at a young age and by the time i finally got round to watching the original trilogy i already knew pretty much everything that was going to happen thanks to endless parodies elsewhere (watching the Family Guy almost shot-for-shot episodes before the actual things is one of the stupidest things i've done). but i'm mega excited about this new one - something about these huge 'event' films really excites me (Bond next week is another), and i'm definitely hoping to see it in the first week to be a part of all the excitement surrounding it. it's just gotta be great, hasn't it?

If you go in with such a high expectation level it will probably come up short...

I watched the original film when I was 5....  I love the spaceships, the lasers, the light sabres...  It was just epic...

If I go and watch this latest film like I do with most other films as a 35 year old, analysing the acting, the script, the direction and expecting it to be the film of decade then its going to up short.  When I watch the original films and view them critically they come up short.  Poor acting, poor scripts with daft lines, poor direction and so on...

Star Wars releases the five year old kid in me and I switch off the mini film critic in me...    And then it just becomes that epic film again with spaceships, lasers and lightsabers :D 

yeah that's what was missing for me - i didn't get to experience Star Wars as a young'un when all the lasers and spaceships would've been enough, i first experienced it as an adult, so was less impressed. gonna have to rewatch them all before this new'un

the cast of the new one was what initially sealed the deal for me - think they've nailed that part. let's just hope the film gives those fantastic actors something to work with

i do wish they'd kept it all a bit more secretive, mind. although i still don't know what';s going to happen (although i have an idea), i feel like i've seen a little too much in the trailers etc

Oh come on :)  Look at the reaction to the three new films :)  Or was you living in a cave or just too young to notice :)

BUT PRACTICAL EFFECTS!

Star Wars releases the five year old kid in me and I switch off the mini film critic in me...    And then it just becomes that epic film again with spaceships, lasers and lightsabers :D 

I think the latest Battlefront trailer sums up this part of Star Wars pretty well:

Still not my tickets yet, DAMN YOU BFI IMAX and Odeon >_>

Edited by LondonTom
  • Upvote 1

Tell you fucking what, I'll never again moan about Glastonbury tickets after the nightmare we've had with Star Wars tickets.

Odeon have taken payment for 5 sets of tickets out of my mate's account after the website repeatedly said his payment hadn't been successful. No confirmation emailed, Odeon have said they can't tell us for 5 days if it's gone through or not. So we may have far too many tickets for a midnight IMAX, or none at all. Fucking gut wrenching as I was on the AMC website and could have still got midnight tickets there, but have no way of knowing if I need to. I hate the Odeon.

i'll admit, i'm no fan of Star Wars. maybe it's because it wasn't introduced to me at a young age and by the time i finally got round to watching the original trilogy i already knew pretty much everything that was going to happen thanks to endless parodies elsewhere (watching the Family Guy almost shot-for-shot episodes before the actual things is one of the stupidest things i've done). but i'm mega excited about this new one - something about these huge 'event' films really excites me (Bond next week is another), and i'm definitely hoping to see it in the first week to be a part of all the excitement surrounding it. it's just gotta be great, hasn't it?

I'd seen the original films about 100 times each before I could even talk. This shit is in my DNA. I will hate you forever if it turns out I don't have tickets.

The new star wars is the most excited I've been for a film release since Dredd 3 years ago.  

I just watched inside out, absolutely a massive return to form for pixar, who I've been really disappointed with for a long time.  I'd read a few scraps about the concept, but the way they lay it out for the audience with the film's introduction was brilliantly done.  I hope they don't shit all over it with sequels.

I'd seen the original films about 100 times each before I could even talk. This shit is in my DNA. I will hate you forever if it turns out I don't have tickets.

not having seen or being in love with Star Wars has been one of my (not so) secret shames for so long. damn non sci-fi/adventure loving parents. see also, Back To The Future and Indiana Jones trilogies

not having seen or being in love with Star Wars has been one of my (not so) secret shames for so long. damn non sci-fi/adventure loving parents. see also, Back To The Future and Indiana Jones trilogies

I don't think my parents have ever seen it, a second hand VHS box set got into our house, my parents discovered I wasn't destroying things or wandering into the street when it was on the TV, free babysitter. My dad was a firm fan of 60s TV shows though, had loads of taped re-runs of Batman and Star Trek (no memory of ever seeing Star Trek, but apparently I was shown loads) and The Munsters and Doctor Who. I could never get properly in to the Nolan Batman films because I've got a weirdly primal sense that it's just not proper Batman.

Working in the Odeon and hearing how much traffic there was to order tickets is seriously worrying me. :sorry:

there was a hell of a lot of people attempting to get tickets for the Waterloo Imax. That's what kept crashing the server for ticket sales and whatnot. other cinemas weren't as bad online booking wise but as it was the same server the repeated cycle of people trying to buy as soon as they tried to make them available crashed it again.

there was a hell of a lot of people attempting to get tickets for the Waterloo Imax. That's what kept crashing the server for ticket sales and whatnot. other cinemas weren't as bad online booking wise but as it was the same server the repeated cycle of people trying to buy as soon as they tried to make them available crashed it again.

Regardless it'll be busy everywhere. It's a huge deal. Not looking forward to dealing with Spectre either, though I can't wait to see either of them. 

I can't believe people are clamoring for tickets for SW, there are hundreds of seats at hundreds of cinemas, undoubtedly over 100's of days. I also don't believe that they aren't going to shit all over the SW legacy. I simply don't trust disney to not fuck it up. 

I hope I'm wrong, but Jurassic World etc should have taught a lot of people that some things are best left alone.