Films

Rufus Gwertigan

just got back from seeing The Martian. really fantastic. had zero expectations for it (the name 'Ridley Scott' just makes me think 'ridiculously overblown epic' these days) but i enjoyed it thoroughly. funny, kept my attention for the full time, and was even quite heartwarming. Matt Damon nailed this role, and what a cast it had. go see it

Black Mass available. Really enjoyed it. Johnny Depp is really great in it. And not in an OTT cartoon way either.

I was slightly let down with the final act, didn't feel dramatic enough and just seemed to end, obviously it's based on true events but thought they could have handled how it come together at the end. Good film though and loved Depp in it.

Edited by When Jokers Attack

Ant Man sequel, Ant-man and The Wasp added to MCU Phase 3 :D

Black Panter is coming slightly earlier in Feb 2018 , but Captain Marvel pushed to March 2019, which is a shame but makes sense. (Also means 2017-2020 we are getting three MCU movies a year!)

http://marvel.com/news/movies/25244/marvel_studios_phase_3_update?linkId=17794833

2016:
05/06 – Captain America: Civil War
11/04 – Doctor Strange

2017:
05/05 – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
07/28 – Spider-Man
11/03 – Thor: Ragnarok

2018:
02/16 – Black Panther
05/04 – Avengers: Infinity War Part 1
07/06 – Ant-Man and the Wasp

2019:
03/08 – Captain Marvel
05/03 – Avengers: Infinity War Part 2
07/12 – Inhumans

2020:
05/01 – Untitled Film
06/10 – Untitled Film
11/06 – Untitled Film

Civil War is pretty much Avengers 3, yeah? Calling it Captain America because that's clearly who's side Marvel wanted you to be on in the comic. Even though I though Cap was a right fuckin turnip and Iron Man was right. I'll be interested to see how they side-step the "don't take our guns" message of the comic, because they're not going to put that into a film.

EDIT: Although that was pretty much Iron Man 2, wasn't it? Why shouldn't rich white American guys build superweapons in their homes and use them to intervene in warzones in the Middle East?

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

I was slightly let down with the final act, didn't feel dramatic enough and just seemed to end, obviously it's based on true events but thought they could have handled how it come together at the end. Good film though and loved Depp in it.

Agree yeah but

the real story of his vanishing, capture and trial is pretty long and drawn out. And boring.

OK-ish documentary here.

A little long and drawn out and a bit all over the place but tells the story.

Civil War is pretty much Avengers 3, yeah? Calling it Captain America because that's clearly who's side Marvel wanted you to be on in the comic. Even though I though Cap was a right fuckin turnip and Iron Man was right. I'll be interested to see how they side-step the "don't take our guns" message of the comic, because they're not going to put that into a film.

EDIT: Although that was pretty much Iron Man 2, wasn't it? Why shouldn't rich white American guys build superweapons in their homes and use them to intervene in warzones in the Middle East?

Yeah its pretty much turning out that way, plus Ant-Man & Black Panther turning up to. (Hulk is a maybe, Thor doesn't seem to be in it at all). So its at least an Avengers 2.5.

Think it says something about how integral Miyazaki was to Ghibli that it's shutting its doors completely now that he's gone.

I'm off to watch Porco Rosso and feel better about the world.

"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Do you know something I don't? Last I heard they said they were taking a hiatus to decide what the next phase will be after Miyazaki is gone. They've got so many talented people working there that I don't see them not starting it up again in a few years. Seems a smart move to take a bit of a break, Walt Disney Animations Studios didn't really know what to do with themselves after Walt died, spent 15 years in a very sorry state until they got re-energised with The Little Mermaid. Miyazaki is unquestionably the greatest filmmaker ever in my eyes, nobody else even comes close. He was integral to Studio Ghibli, but it was far from being just him. It's a pretty unique studio, for a lot of animators it'll be something they want to continue, they can't recreate this environment somewhere else and probably wouldn't want to, it's an institution. Besides, there's too much money in it for it not to continue, it's got probably the best financial hit-rate of any studio in the world, anything they make instantly makes mega-bucks, Pixar are doing that on a grander scale but probably wont keep it up for as long.

Do you know something I don't? Last I heard they said they were taking a hiatus to decide what the next phase will be after Miyazaki is gone. They've got so many talented people working there that I don't see them not starting it up again in a few years. Seems a smart move to take a bit of a break, Walt Disney Animations Studios didn't really know what to do with themselves after Walt died, spent 15 years in a very sorry state until they got re-energised with The Little Mermaid. Miyazaki is unquestionably the greatest filmmaker ever in my eyes, nobody else even comes close. He was integral to Studio Ghibli, but it was far from being just him. It's a pretty unique studio, for a lot of animators it'll be something they want to continue, they can't recreate this environment somewhere else and probably wouldn't want to, it's an institution. Besides, there's too much money in it for it not to continue, it's got probably the best financial hit-rate of any studio in the world, anything they make instantly makes mega-bucks, Pixar are doing that on a grander scale but probably wont keep it up for as long.

Yeah I did mean temporarily, but you'd still expect them to be doing something rather than shut down completely for a while. I'm not knocking the rest of them that work there, obviously they're all great, even though Miyazaki is still miles out in the lead ahead of every other Ghibli film that isn't The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

I actually think The New World is Malick's misunderstood masterpiece.

Funnily enough, I watched The New World again the other day after seeing Tree Of Life. It's a great film; a beautiful story told with great performances.

Tree Of Life tops it for me though, I think it's largely down to Lubezki's cinematography - it's so intimate. The whole thing is just fascinating.

Funnily enough, I watched The New World again the other day after seeing Tree Of Life. It's a great film; a beautiful story told with great performances.

Tree Of Life tops it for me though, I think it's largely down to Lubezki's cinematography - it's so intimate. The whole thing is just fascinating.

I just think that The New World strikes the best balance of any Malick film between the rhapsodic, abstract visual stuff and the mythic, archetypal characters and narratives. The way that some people feel about the bone/satellite jump cut in 2001, I feel about that final montage set to Das Rheingold in The New World. Along with the final shot of The Thin Red Line, it comes closer than just about any other piece of filmmaking to capturing the feeling of the last pre-epilogue line of Moby Dick:

"...and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."