2013/ the future of soni?

Guest lharris92

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's the problem, those types of bands aren't available every year. It isn't like fantasy football where you can pick any player, the bands actually have to be interested in playing. They were competing with Download and R&L for the suitable bands (not just headliners) that were available, which lead to the poor line-up as there weren't enough of those types of bands to make three good line-ups..

Just seen a little bit of a lack luster post on Facebook from Sonisphere UK saying:

'Been a while since we checked in. How are we all doing, we all recovered. What gigs have you got lined up for the summer then? '

I wonder what they'll do next now this year hasn't really been a success. Will they be thinking about 2013???

personally although i hate to say it i don't think they should put soni on next year.

usually i like to back up my sizzle with references and put a good argument, but i don't know enough about download and Sonisphere, so if i'm very much mistaken i'm sorry.x anyway it'll be good food for though

Guys were in recession, again, that means people have less money and as we've seen all over the board that festivals arn't selling out- it is possibly perhaps to do with line up quality and not money, however its hard to say but if the recession isn't heavily influencing festivals it'll undermine this argument, meh, go try to fucking prove what is making festivals not sell out though... (that would be a good disertaion project perhaps actually... fuck load of variables though...)

Yes Metal festivals has more of a separated market compared to others but even so unless Sonisphere AND download can pull off a stellar line up they're going to be in trouble. i think they, as in Kilimanjaro, would be better to have one festival, download, which has a bigger capacity and has a better Modern history of doing well in ticket sales (that fact i can't confirmed only on the fact it hasn't had to cancel since the start of DOWNLOAD- (not monsters of rock- not sure of that))

what i'm saying surly is simple business, Download hasn't sold out ether, and you don't want to invest in two festivals and have Both sink.

also remember UK festivals have more and more competition from the European festivals, remember a ticket to Rock Am Ring is, i i'm right is 175 euros, which also with the fall of the euro is making it £140!, you could probably get to Germany for £80 so if you look at i its not much more at all...

Yeah i know, Sonisphere is awesome and a fantastic festival, but we have to fess up to the reality of the situation were in, it would be better for it not to be on for a year or two and then come back into play when the UK is in a better financial position.

Here is what i think soni should do in the mean time

I don't know it to be true for download, but for the last 2 years at reading certain Day tickets- as in the Sunday this year- have sold out first. Why not just do a day festival? Yeah, its not as good but if it'll sell out then perhaps it would be better in the long run for the festival. Considering we don't have many metal 'day-festivals' except perhaps Oz fest on occasion it might be a really good move.

I don't know about you but i would rather get a day ticket to a festival and see lots of bands than see a headliner right out, it works out you save more money* also me thinks that day tickets tend to be bought by older people- i.e ones with more moeny- but i don't know if this is true...

*(Metallica ticket wembly 2007?= £50,machine head, H.I.M mastodon. Or for £32 more Download 2012 saturday= £82 metallica+biffy+ tenacious D + steel panther+ trivium and others to choose from, which sounds better value?)

i know its not great to hear but remember i could be talking bollocks. be interesting to hear what u guys have to say.x

Edited by cheeseisamazing

I couldn't agree more with the post above and think it's going to be interesting to see how festivals get priced in the coming years. They usuall go up £10 - £20 a year but I think there will be a ceiling that ticket prices will hit. I mean, I couldn't see many paying £220 - £240 for a festival ticket in the next couple of years.

However, I do appreciate that that money usually gets invested in the festival and look at DL. it's a very different beast now to when it launched. More stages, more entertainment, better facilities.

I personaly think there a niche for a festiival between bloodstock and Download. Smaller bands headlining but more commercial than Bloodstock. But cheaper ticket prices.

Back to soni, they have a lot of work to do if they are to return and communication is the key. And sadly something they seem to have failed with this year.

I personally don't think we'll see it return but would like to be proved wrong.

personally although i hate to say it i don't think they should put soni on next year.

usually i like to back up my sizzle with references and put a good argument, but i don't know enough about download and Sonisphere, so if i'm very much mistaken i'm sorry.x anyway it'll be good food for though

Guys were in recession, again, that means people have less money and as we've seen all over the board that festivals arn't selling out- it is possibly perhaps to do with line up quality and not money, however its hard to say but if the recession isn't heavily influencing festivals it'll undermine this argument, meh, go try to fucking prove what is making festivals not sell out though... (that would be a good disertaion project perhaps actually... fuck load of variables though...)

Yes Metal festivals has more of a separated market compared to others but even so unless Sonisphere AND download can pull off a stellar line up they're going to be in trouble. i think they, as in Kilimanjaro, would be better to have one festival, download, which has a bigger capacity and has a better Modern history of doing well in ticket sales (that fact i can't confirmed only on the fact it hasn't had to cancel since the start of DOWNLOAD- (not monsters of rock- not sure of that))

what i'm saying surly is simple business, Download hasn't sold out ether, and you don't want to invest in two festivals and have Both sink.

also remember UK festivals have more and more competition from the European festivals, remember a ticket to Rock Am Ring is, i i'm right is 175 euros, which also with the fall of the euro is making it £140!, you could probably get to Germany for £80 so if you look at i its not much more at all...

Yeah i know, Sonisphere is awesome and a fantastic festival, but we have to fess up to the reality of the situation were in, it would be better for it not to be on for a year or two and then come back into play when the UK is in a better financial position.

Here is what i think soni should do in the mean time

I don't know it to be true for download, but for the last 2 years at reading certain Day tickets- as in the Sunday this year- have sold out first. Why not just do a day festival? Yeah, its not as good but if it'll sell out then perhaps it would be better in the long run for the festival. Considering we don't have many metal 'day-festivals' except perhaps Oz fest on occasion it might be a really good move.

I don't know about you but i would rather get a day ticket to a festival and see lots of bands than see a headliner right out, it works out you save more money* also me thinks that day tickets tend to be bought by older people- i.e ones with more moeny- but i don't know if this is true...

*(Metallica ticket wembly 2007?= £50,machine head, H.I.M mastodon. Or for £32 more Download 2012 saturday= £82 metallica+biffy+ tenacious D + steel panther+ trivium and others to choose from, which sounds better value?)

i know its not great to hear but remember i could be talking bollocks. be interesting to hear what u guys have to say.x

its not money. the ipad and iphone are shifting record numbers. people have money, they choose very carefully where to spend it, and sub standard lineups, repeat headliners and a generally samey experience arent always a big draw.

I think Soni's disjointed lineup caused it to fail this year, if you to last year as an example, the Friday was always going to sell itself with the big four, the Saturday took the fest in a different direction with a lot more current British acts such as yma6, biffy, then weezer, who never tour in the uk so are bound to pull in day ticketers, and the Sunday was quite a 90s throwback with slipknot and limp bizkit. Whereas this year, the acts looked scattered all over, with no sense of flow to the lineup.

I also think soni and titp both shot themselves in the foot by failing to work together. Last year there was a small amount of overlap, strengthening both festivals and both sold out. This year, both went in complete different directions, resulting in one cancellation, and one failing to sell out.

I think Soni's disjointed lineup caused it to fail this year, if you to last year as an example, the Friday was always going to sell itself with the big four, the Saturday took the fest in a different direction with a lot more current British acts such as yma6, biffy, then weezer, who never tour in the uk so are bound to pull in day ticketers, and the Sunday was quite a 90s throwback with slipknot and limp bizkit. Whereas this year, the acts looked scattered all over, with no sense of flow to the lineup.

I also think soni and titp both shot themselves in the foot by failing to work together. Last year there was a small amount of overlap, strengthening both festivals and both sold out. This year, both went in complete different directions, resulting in one cancellation, and one failing to sell out.

Edited by jump

That'd be a really good idea I reckon! I mean the stage is perfect and It is a pretty well known venue to have an event. If you had a one day fest you wouldn't have to pay for space for camping, hiring the venue for less time would save money and there'd be less acts to pay. Start off like Sonisphere Poland with one stage as mentioned before with six or seven acts. Get 50,000 ish tickets sold of about 85 pounds each and get a good all round rock/metal line-up. Perhaps with Maiden or Metallica who importantly have links with Sonisphere and some other decent undercard bands (which HAVE to be good aswell). Let's say they need a well selling line-up with little risk and then they'll take in the money, money is what they need. As they say that this year they had a financially challenging year. This idea here would cost about a third of the cost for a usual Sonisphere and could then potentially make up for the money lost last year. Could potentially happen? People could go to Download as their three dayer event and then go to Sonisphere as an extra one dayer and not spend a huge amount through out the festival season. Reading could also be put into the mix as a more mainstream rock festival as well. Good point though for MK Bowl though!