2013/ the future of soni?

Guest lharris92

I think it would have to be under a new name - as you say Soni's name is ruined in the UK. A format would warrant a new name, esp if it was at a different venue.

£85 is steep, so would only work with the right line up. If you had a Metallica or a Maiden there doing a 2 hour set, plus another arena sized band or two below them, then wouldn't do too badly. But with a line up like that, they'd have to charge at least £70 or so to cover costs.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't taken into account the brand damage caused by this year's cancellaton and £85 for a 1 day festival with only 1 stage is a bit shit.

The 1 day fest with 1 stage was more aimed at the guy suggesting his new version of Soni.

At least with the Big 4 it was an event and they still had bands on apart from main but it was always obvious that they wouldn't be able to charge that for the KISS day and have people go for it. Can anyone remember how much they were charging for the Alice Cooper day?

The 1 day fest with 1 stage was more aimed at the guy suggesting his new version of Soni.

At least with the Big 4 it was an event and they still had bands on apart from main but it was always obvious that they wouldn't be able to charge that for the KISS day and have people go for it. Can anyone remember how much they were charging for the Alice Cooper day?

I do agree though, £85 for a half day is definitely too much, and most likely trying to capitalise on the Big 4 in 2011 - but that's because they had a limited number of day tickets which were always going to be massively popular. I have a feeling the pricing for this years Friday probably had a lot more to do with trying to keep KISS on board, couldn't have been cheap after they pulled all of their EU touring plans and had decided they weren't coming over to Europe at all.

They already put on lots of gigs and events though, so I don't really see the point in coming back with a 1 day festival. Either come back and try and build it back properly, or just leave it imo.

Edited by kipper64

I also don't think there would be enough profit in a one day even to make it worth while. So if it returned, it would need to be a weekend. And in order to compete with download, it would either need to be a cheap 2 day event or same price 3 day event with 3 days, all stages.

I personally don't think you'll see it back as Sonisphere as I think the brand is damage beyond repair. And as the venue is part of the brand, I can see a return being a new name and new venue.

A metal festival in Scotland would be nice. :D Maybe they could sort that out. :)

I also don't think there would be enough profit in a one day even to make it worth while. So if it returned, it would need to be a weekend. And in order to compete with download, it would either need to be a cheap 2 day event or same price 3 day event with 3 days, all stages.

I personally don't think you'll see it back as Sonisphere as I think the brand is damage beyond repair. And as the venue is part of the brand, I can see a return being a new name and new venue.

A metal festival in Scotland would be nice. :D Maybe they could sort that out. :)

I know it wasnt a metal festival but if you remember Download Scotland in 2004 that was a complete farce so if they do the complete opposite of what they did that year something along a festival like that would be good :D

Please stop with the hate campaign against Sonisphere, it got tired last year.

1) The brand hasn't been damaged beyond repair.

2) Sonisphere is still going, they have 5 events this year.

3) Kililive own or part own other festivals such as Wakestock, Rockness, Bloodstock and are promoting the UK edition of Warped Tour, so there aren't supposed "troubles" in their camp.

4) Why would they cut off ties with Knebworth House? the owners love Sonisphere, they make a killing from the event and it's an established rock venue, which is far greater than Castle Donington.

5) Kili have a 5 year license to hold Sonisphere at Knebworth House.

6) Why would they change the name of an established brand, when it is still going.

7) They've already started booking bands for next year and it's full steam ahead, try reading the interviews instead of making things up.

8. It's looking increasingly likely that Maiden are headlining next year.

3) Kililive own or part own other festivals such as Wakestock, Rockness, Bloodstock and are promoting the UK edition of Warped Tour, so there aren't supposed "troubles" in their camp.

It's not Kili that own Rockness, but AEG.

As far as I'm aware, there is now no link between Kili and AEG, as AEG have been bought out. But even when there was, Kili didn't have any involvement in Rockness as far as i'm aware.

Please stop with the hate campaign against Sonisphere, it got tired last year.

It's not a hate campaign dude, it's my opinion. :P Given how bad communication was at the beginning of the year and the cancellation I think the brand has lost trust with the fans and the fact it got cancelled means they have a lot of work in convincing artists to come on board. Which has damaged the brand. ;)

1) The brand hasn't been damaged beyond repair.

In my opinion it has. Your opinion is it hasn't.

2) Sonisphere is still going, they have 5 events this year.

Good for them.

Didn't say there was.

4) Why would they cut off ties with Knebworth House? the owners love Sonisphere, they make a killing from the event and it's an established rock venue, which is far greater than Castle Donington.

How is Knebworth more established as a rock venue than donington. Not say it is or isn't just interested to see how that would be quantified. Other then Knebworth and queen playing decades ago.

5) Kili have a 5 year license to hold Sonisphere at Knebworth House.

Assuming Soni continues and is commercially viable in future years.

6) Why would they change the name of an established brand, when it is still going.

Because it is damaged? Most people I knew hadn't heard of sonisphere until it got cancelled. So that will be what a lot of people associate with when it's mentioned.

7) They've already started booking bands for next year and it's full steam ahead, try reading the interviews instead of making things up.

What have I made up exactly?

8. It's looking increasingly likely that Maiden are headlining next year.

Sure, it's been on the books for while now. See that I did read. :D

Ha ha ha a mid week festival with 7 acts per day? Of course it was a farce. Made a friday at Soni look like value for money. :P One stage, limited bands.

I was joking, however it would be interesting to see if something done properly would be a success.

Was there camping at DL scotland?

I hope it comes back. I'll be fucked if T are getting my money again when all they are serving up is tired repeats and X factor rejects. I never did Soni and if it doesn't come back I'll feel like I missed out (even if I didn't really) :)

I've never liked the dates that Sonisphere is on. It clashes with T in the Park and Relentless Nass. Plus it's just a week or two before we break up for the summer holiday so I cannot exactly take time off. Reading and Leeds are definitely helped by the fact it's on a bank holiday weekend and in the summer holidays (bonus for students an pupils at school like me) Sonisphere 2010 I saw was held on the 30th July - 1st August, much better dates there and definitely a better line-up helped. Don't really like that first/second weekend of July there.

Guys i thought i'd add a few things

firstly regarding the ONE DAY EVENT (if they opted for that)

i think i would be important to keep the 2 things that have made Sonisphere popular

The A & B stage system- i don't know about you guys but the lack of clashes and the fact it aloud me to see A LOT more bands made me go to Sonisphere

I dunno about you guys but the Knebworth legacy was another pull for me to go- its possible as well that this is a big pull for the bands that play

The price would have to be £80 or (preferable) less to compete against the day festival tickets (download £82, reading £90) but also Hard rock calling and wirless prices which are £40-£60 i believe?

In regards to previous comments i dont think the brand has been damaged too much. if anything i think cancelling it due to the weak line up (and other factors) was a smart move and maby people will recognize that. However to be honest as long as it has a good line up people will go.

Next year i suggest (if possible)

MUSE. Rage Against the machine. Kiss (probably the best headliner booking). Red hot chilies. . Foos (even though they've played a lot they're still a ticket pool)

I also think they should have possible one headliner, like biffy, that they give a 'big break too' any suggestions?

Guys i thought i'd add a few things

firstly regarding the ONE DAY EVENT (if they opted for that)

i think i would be important to keep the 2 things that have made Sonisphere popular

The A & B stage system- i don't know about you guys but the lack of clashes and the fact it aloud me to see A LOT more bands made me go to Sonisphere

I dunno about you guys but the Knebworth legacy was another pull for me to go- its possible as well that this is a big pull for the bands that play

The price would have to be £80 or (preferable) less to compete against the day festival tickets (download £82, reading £90) but also Hard rock calling and wirless prices which are £40-£60 i believe?

In regards to previous comments i dont think the brand has been damaged too much. if anything i think cancelling it due to the weak line up (and other factors) was a smart move and maby people will recognize that. However to be honest as long as it has a good line up people will go.

Next year i suggest (if possible)

MUSE. Rage Against the machine. Kiss (probably the best headliner booking). Red hot chilies. . Foos (even though they've played a lot they're still a ticket pool)

I also think they should have possible one headliner, like biffy, that they give a 'big break too' any suggestions?