2013/ the future of soni?

Guest lharris92

ok so seeing this year got scrapped, what does this hold for the future of soni?

obviously there was reasons that were untold as to why it got called off, and reasons that have been circulating round the net.

a. could those reasons be sufficient enough just for this year to be called off, or for future soni's to not take place as well?

b. if it were to take place what do you think the reaction would be and what the line up would hold?

just want to see peoples thoughts on these 2 things.

personally if it were to take place next year i'd imagine a big metal act fronting it, probably maiden.

and yeah, this thread is just speculation. and yes i do know this has been discussed in other threads but that's over a few of the boards so if there is just one thread about it, it is easier to follow. ;)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Promising that all 2012 ticket holders wil get their money back is a bold call, because I'd bet the organisation hasn't got it all to give back. That would mean further borrowing to pay back ticket holders - which I can't see the financial backers being too happy with.

Most likely, therefore, there will be a speedy announcement that 2012 tickets will now be accepted/exchanged for a 2013 event.

Promising that all 2012 ticket holders wil get their money back is a bold call, because I'd bet the organisation hasn't got it all to give back.

the normal thing is that ticket agents don't hand over the money until the event happens - so there shouldn't be an issue.

People like to moan about ticket agents fees, but those fees comes with benefits that you're unlikely to get if you buy direct from a festival's own box office (if they have one of course).

Promising that all 2012 ticket holders wil get their money back is a bold call, because I'd bet the organisation hasn't got it all to give back. That would mean further borrowing to pay back ticket holders - which I can't see the financial backers being too happy with.

Most likely, therefore, there will be a speedy announcement that 2012 tickets will now be accepted/exchanged for a 2013 event.

Well to answer Question a) This year Sonisphere Poland, Finland, Switerland, Spain have all been confirmed today as still going ahead. So it's not the end of the brand. What happens in the future though, is still up in the air. It'll depend on how things pan of for Kili, I certainly think they'll look into bringing it back next year - but that'll only be the case if the bands all fall into place in good time, and those bands are guaranteed crowd pleasers. So it's 50/50 really at the moment, could go either way.

ok so seeing this year got scrapped, what does this hold for the future of soni?

obviously there was reasons that were untold as to why it got called off, and reasons that have been circulating round the net.

a. could those reasons be sufficient enough just for this year to be called off, or for future soni's to not take place as well?

b. if it were to take place what do you think the reaction would be and what the line up would hold?

just want to see peoples thoughts on these 2 things.

personally if it were to take place next year i'd imagine a big metal act fronting it, probably maiden.

and yeah, this thread is just speculation. and yes i do know this has been discussed in other threads but that's over a few of the boards so if there is just one thread about it, it is easier to follow. ;)

If Soni wants to go ahead next year they already need to be speaking to bands and getting things signed.

Andy Copping seems to have finally understood this for Download, he's said that he's been talking with acts for 2013 for a while now, rumour is, he has one headliner booked already. But Download ARE the bigger fish, they have Live Nation backing and get to have less competition from the big fests cus they're all one company so are looking out for one another.

Plus Download get to say, play here and you'll be able to do Rock AM Ring, Nova Rock, Greenfields, Hellfest etc all Rock fests in Europe in the same month, its good business sense for bands to do the Download route, plus obviously they're established and bands know if they agree to play, it will go ahead and they'll get paid, its more difficult for Soni now in this regard.

These are the things that will prevent Soni going ahead or not. No matter what has happened if they get the major acts it'll be a success, Download getting Black Sabbath and Metallica this year has proved that. I really think Andy will be busting his ass to get Iron Maiden next year and Foo Fighters. Metallica aren't touring next year, its gunna be a difficult one I reckon for Soni. Can't see Linkin Park doing Euro fests 3 years running, aren't enough of them to sustain it, unless they do late summer.

Plus Download get to say, play here and you'll be able to do Rock AM Ring, Nova Rock, Greenfields, Hellfest etc all Rock fests in Europe in the same month, its good business sense for bands to do the Download route, plus obviously they're established and bands know if they agree to play, it will go ahead and they'll get paid, its more difficult for Soni now in this regard.

Honestly I really don't see room in the festival market for 2 major rock festivals, and it was quite obvious from the beginning that there just isnt enough acts for them both to last on the same scale.

Maybe in a few years they'll do another smaller scale in a different format but i doubt it'll be under the Sonisphere name

Honestly I really don't see room in the festival market for 2 major rock festivals, and it was quite obvious from the beginning that there just isnt enough acts for them both to last on the same scale.

Maybe in a few years they'll do another smaller scale in a different format but i doubt it'll be under the Sonisphere name

What I would like to see happen is a smaller scale festival, with headliners the level of the likes of Alter Bridge, The Offspring, Avenged Sevenfold etc. and charge around £120 for a weekend camping ticket. I reckon there'd be a market for a cheaper, scaled down version of Download.

What I would like to see happen is a smaller scale festival, with headliners the level of the likes of Alter Bridge, The Offspring, Avenged Sevenfold etc. and charge around £120 for a weekend camping ticket. I reckon there'd be a market for a cheaper, scaled down version of Download.

you mean like Bloodstock, which Kili already own? :lol:

It would look as though AEG are no longer part of Kilimanjaro - so I guess Kili will be self financing it, if it does go ahead (bearing in mind Metallica's contract with them is also up)

(though Kilimanjaro bosses did recently announce they had bought AEG Live out of their business)
Edited by 5co77ie