• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetime

• mrtourette

• Mouseboy11

• the wonderwhy

It probably wont at leeds, they would still sell day tickets on the back of dm playing though.

There big enough to play, the same way cure were. My era they were on of the iconic bands and still are in my view, its proven reading bookers are willing to go that way so wouldnt rule it out.

You could if you were looking for an argument or to try and prove someone wrong on a technicality, however I didn't mention anything about Kasabian and Foos (especially not that they'd sold all of their tickets).

The point was not the comparison between the three headliners, it was about the difference between the bluster from a lot of Cure fans about the effect they'd have on ticket sales and it not entirely turning out that way, and that when people start saying the same thing about Depeche Mode (they'll sell a lot of day tickets as all their loyal fans will come from all over to see them at this one gig) I'm a bit skeptical.

Yes your perhaps right to be fair

I do think it adds alot to the festival having a few older bands, especially those who have a great back catalogue like the cure and depeche mode.

Its got to be better than reeling the same old bands like muse, killers, biffy etc etc.

Edited by mrtourette

It is better if the mix is right, but it's not always a realistic shout. I was wrong about The Cure as I plumped for them to do Latitude instead of R&L, I could bre wrong about Depeche Mode but that just feels even less likey to me. However as Neil says maybe they thought that The Cure was enough of a success to try a similar thing again, although that may be why they've been looking at Sabbath.

...also if you were a Depeche Mode fan (many of whom are a bit older) then why would you pay to go and see Depeche Mode at Reading surrounded by loads of drunk teenagers when you could go and watch them at the O2 Arena? And if you were booking Reading festival then why would you book Depeche Mode knowing this is the likely scenario?

The Cure where an exclusive at least.