Football 2011-2012

Guest eFestivals

Well you definitely called that right! As a wales fan I was gutted, after a toothless performance at cardiff we deserved a draw today. Earnshaw has built a career scoring tap ins and its typical he chose today to miss. I have a bit more hope that we can compete with scotland for 4th place in the next qualifying and improve our ranking. As for England, when the tabloids next June proclaim how england are top contenders to win the tournament, they only need to look at that game. England are generally efficient at beating poorer teams but you dont have to look too deep to see the many flaws.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• kaosmark2

• strummer77

Of course being scottish you have natural optimism as will fans of every team in the group. However Scotland are in the 4th ranking pot, ranked 4th out of the teams in the group and 4th favourites by the bookmakers, so suggesting they would play for 4th is hardly a contreversial statement.

I agree its an unpredictable group with the top 2 seeds amongst the weakest in their seeding pots while Belgium, Scotland and Wales are amongst the strongest in their groups, I have to admit I dont know much about how macedonia are doing at present. I can see a close group with teams taking points off each other. Belgium are so hard to predict with the likes of vermaelan, kompany, hazard, luakaka etc they have players that the other teams in the group would dream about having but for some reason the team isnt as good as the individual parts.

Hats off to you good Sir,your first paragraph is a point well made and i see the reasoning in your origional post.

I don't think aiming for second is optimism though.I definately feel it is a realistic possibility and I also think Wales are just as entitled to believe that although I haven't ever followed your results against nations like Belgium.

I'd forgotten about Macedonia,I think they will be the whipping boys of the group.Everyone else I think has the chance to get second.A very competative and open group in which I dont think the rankings will make a difference or dictate outcomes.

Howler from Vorm there. Shame for Swansea that, Arsenal been on the front foot most of the half, but Swansea up to then handling it reasonably well, and had just had a good 5 minute spell themselves, with Taylor's cross that Graham couldn't quite get onto.

Bit of luck for Arsenal probably what they need at this time, and would anticipitate that should relax them a bit and they'll run out comfortable winners now.

Mertesacker and Arteta both had some good moments so far.

My observations from today

1. Expected Arsenal to come out strong and have a comfortable win against swansea, surprised it was so close. I suppose the main thing for them was the 3 points and also a bonus for them to half the gap between them and liverpool.

2. I remeber someone earlier in this thread saying liverpool would be favourite for every one of the next 5 games apart from liverpool. I personally would never have put them favourite for stoke away, I suspect stoke will end up with one of the best home records in the league. I personally felt liverpool fans/media overreacted to the first 3 games with a lot stating liverpool were certs for top 4 and also likely to compete for 3rd with chelsea. I can see a close race between arsenal and liverpool for 4th place but also spurs who I think were written off too easily after getting a rough deal from the fixture list computer.

I think Stoke should challenge for europa league if they are lucy with injuries. Pullis has managed that squad perfectly since promotion. I remember a few years ago seeing john walters in league 2 and thinking he was a guy who would never do anything. If you had told me then he would score a wining goal against liverpool in a premiership mad I would have called for the men in white coats.

3. After last season following a world cup, there was a noticable reduction in the gap between top and bottom. After a greater rest this season, it looks like business as usual. I can see the 2 manchester clubs handing out many a thrashing. Its great to see city making the best use of their talent this year.

My observations from today

2. I remeber someone earlier in this thread saying liverpool would be favourite for every one of the next 5 games apart from liverpool. I personally would never have put them favourite for stoke away, I suspect stoke will end up with one of the best home records in the league. I personally felt liverpool fans/media overreacted to the first 3 games with a lot stating liverpool were certs for top 4 and also likely to compete for 3rd with chelsea. I can see a close race between arsenal and liverpool for 4th place but also spurs who I think were written off too easily after getting a rough deal from the fixture list computer.

I think Stoke should challenge for europa league if they are lucy with injuries. Pullis has managed that squad perfectly since promotion. I remember a few years ago seeing john walters in league 2 and thinking he was a guy who would never do anything. If you had told me then he would score a wining goal against liverpool in a premiership mad I would have called for the men in white coats.

Stoke didn't need.another shot on target though. Their style may be pragmatic but sensible. Their defence may be slow but its hardly conceded a goal all season despite playing 2 strong teams. As for the advantage they get from pitch manipulation they would argue rightly so in ky opinion, that its nothing compared to the advantage Liverpool and other big teams get from spending more in players and wages.

I am not overly impressed by Liverpool, arsenal or spurs but one will finish 4. Liverpool have had a solid start to the season but the 2 teams they beat, man utd have put 13 goals past. I wouldn't read much into beating bolton at home or losing to stoke away. Neither were.shocking results. I personally see very little difference in the quality of the teams chasing for 4th place, which is progress for both Liverpool and spurs.

It's funny chelsea are flying under the radar, may not be putting performances in but picking up point, still very dangerous.

Another example of my criticism of people reading far too much into early season for. On sunday supplement yesterday they were taalking about stoke as contenders for top 4. They seem to do this every year with a side that starts well, while I think stoke will do well, they dont have the squad for top 4 which is why it is silly making judgements so early before injuries nd suspensions kick in.

I think Samuel was taking about them "challenging" for the top 4 - the group of 7 or 8 clubs that will be in and out of that spot a few times over the course of the season. I agree with you that (given theyre in Europe aswell) they don't have the depth to last the full season in 4th spot.

Dreadful f8cking style of football they play though. Tiny pitch, hackmerchants like Shawcross (no idea he was so big btw... fella is enormous) going through players like a shortcut, long throws. Effective - but brutal stuff.

I personally would never have put them favourite for stoke away, I suspect stoke will end up with one of the best home records in the league.

I reckon that Stoke are a shoe-in for 6th or 7th this season. They're defo a team on the up.

I'm not entirely sure it's something that'll manage to sustain beyond this season tho unless they spend a similar amount next summer as they have this summer - most of their new signings are towards the end of their career, and either cost a lot in that context, or are likely to be on higher wages than their input on the field is likely to justify.

As for the Manchester teams - wow! It looks like they're going to be streets ahead of the rest by xmas. They didn't really click so much this weekend, but Rooney and Young are looking like they're going to be a formidable partnership, and the rest are on fire too .... and god knows how strong City are going to be once the squad becomes more settled.

The only hope for the rest of the league is that they'll fade at some point, but I can't really see it unless (unlikely, I know) Utd reverse their normal season fortunes and start strong and finish weak, and (slightly more likely) Mancini has the same bottle problems he's shown the last two season.

As for the Manchester teams - wow! It looks like they're going to be streets ahead of the rest by xmas. They didn't really click so much this weekend, but Rooney and Young are looking like they're going to be a formidable partnership, and the rest are on fire too .... and god knows how strong City are going to be once the squad becomes more settled.