2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the things i have enjoyed a lot over the years at Glastonbury is that smug feeling you have when walking past a stage, and a band you've heard of are playing. maybe they are playing their big hit, the one you hear on the radio, and you just think, yeah, ok, but i'm off to get a fish curry and wander around Glebeland for a bit.

wandering around is lots of fun.

And I have nothing against your take on things. Rather have a look around then spend an hour watching some half-assed one/two hit wonders.

But it makes no sense when people say they hope the music is bad so they don't have to go to Pyramid. If walking around is great, then you always have that choice. Makes no sense to wish there isn't something better to do, though. "Ah crap, Bowie is on Pyramid. That ruined by ability to wander over to Greenfields and get wasted in Shrangri La". Whatever.

And I have nothing against your take on things. Rather have a look around then spend an hour watching some half-assed one/two hit wonders.

But it makes no sense when people say they hope the music is bad so they don't have to go to Pyramid. If walking around is great, then you always have that choice. Makes no sense to wish there isn't something better to do, though. "Ah crap, Bowie is on Pyramid. That ruined by ability to wander over to Greenfields and get wasted in Shrangri La". Whatever.

one of the things i have enjoyed a lot over the years at Glastonbury is that smug feeling you have when walking past a stage, and a band you've heard of are playing. maybe they are playing their big hit, the one you hear on the radio, and you just think, yeah, ok, but i'm off to get a fish curry and wander around Glebeland for a bit.

wandering around is lots of fun.

That makes no sense and is exactly the kind of snobbish attitude that puts a lot of my friends off glastonbury.

You get smug because people are watching a band and you're eating a curry.

You can eat a curry any night, you can only watch bands at glasto once a year! Pay £200 for the satisfaction of eating a curry I'm gonna watch some bands I like

That makes no sense and is exactly the kind of snobbish attitude that puts a lot of my friends off glastonbury.

You get smug because people are watching a band and you're eating a curry.

You can eat a curry any night, you can only watch bands at glasto once a year! Pay £200 for the satisfaction of eating a curry I'm gonna watch some bands I like

Of course it makes sense. It's about having the luxury and the choice. It sums up Glastonbury for me, that on the Sunday of last festival, you could have seen Beyonce, QOTSA, Kool And The Gang or The Streets all at the same time, or you could easily have had as good a time just by not seeing any of them, and doing thousands of other things going on at the same time.

Of course it makes sense. It's about having the luxury and the choice. It sums up Glastonbury for me, that on the Sunday of last festival, you could have seen Beyonce, QOTSA, Kool And The Gang or The Streets all at the same time, or you could easily have had as good a time just by not seeing any of them, and doing thousands of other things going on at the same time.

This thread has turned into a joke.... Nothing about headliners anymore just people having a go at eachother over the way they like to spend there festival.

If you want to watch every band you can good on you!

If you want to wonder around enjoying the other stuff good on you!

Please dont write crap on here being critical of the way people like to enjoy Glasto. I promise you it bores the death out of everyone who comes on here.

This thread has turned into a joke.... Nothing about headliners anymore just people having a go at eachother over the way they like to spend there festival.

If you want to watch every band you can good on you!

If you want to wonder around enjoying the other stuff good on you!

Please dont write crap on here being critical of the way people like to enjoy Glasto. I promise you it bores the death out of everyone who comes on here.

true that, you didn't. And i agree, if you don't like the band then listening to a big hit shouldn't be an issue, but still being smug about it isn't need. Just accepting each to their own taste, i will admit i will probably be more inclined to see an act thats rarer and that i wouldn't say too, like stevie wonder but then thats my choice

I think, just like the original post, I didn't articulate myself properly.

The whole 'you see bands at glasto? Whats wrong with you!' crew really gets on my nerves and a post that essentially said 'I feel smug about getting a fish curry instead of watching bands' implies, to me, some sort of condescending attitude. That somehow watching bands and enjoying it is the wrong way to 'do glasto' and you're smug about it because you 'know' how you do glasto is better'.

Maybe you didn't mean smug, but if you did then that post belongs in the glasto cliche thread

Here's a novel thought maybe there should be a separate cheaper type of ticket that would just let you into all the 'non-music' area because the bands is why you pay £200

i wouldn't go and see Macca if he played so him being there makes no real difference to me. i'm still hoping for my days to end as follows:

Friday: somewhere other than Pyramid / Other

Saturday: Pyramid for Stones

Sunday: Other for Pumpkins

so Macca being there would keep that little plan in tact (if it all goes to plan and those acts are there, of course)