Recommend me a Mobile Phone

luckysalt

Just had an interesting conversation over the phone with Orange/EE.

I have been recently experiencing a drop in the quality of my signal, both in the area around work, and the area around home. They confirmed that they have recently switched off a mast, and offered me either free release from my contract, or a 50% discount on my line rental. Strange stuff. I'm undecided, as I dont wanna jump ship and end up with a worse signal.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had an interesting conversation over the phone with Orange/EE.

I have been recently experiencing a drop in the quality of my signal, both in the area around work, and the area around home. They confirmed that they have recently switched off a mast, and offered me either free release from my contract, or a 50% discount on my line rental. Strange stuff. I'm undecided, as I dont wanna jump ship and end up with a worse signal.

I'd jump out of the contract and move to GiffGaff. It runs on the O2 network so the signal is always pretty decent, and it's cheap as chips. £10 a month gets you unlimited text, 500 minutes and 1Gb data. You need an unlocked phone though. I belive orange will unlock your phone for £20, though you may be able to convince them to do it for free if you complain enough.

http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

Edited by windy_miller

I'd jump out of the contract and move to GiffGaff. It runs on the O2 network so the signal is always pretty decent, and it's cheap as chips. £10 a month gets you unlimited text, 500 minutes and 1Gb data. You need an unlocked phone though. I belive orange will unlock your phone for £20, though you may be able to convince them to do it for free if you complain enough.

http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

I left O2 for orange cos their coverage at home was fecking awful, which is why im not rushing to do anything.

If you get released from your contract - I'm with 3 and my contract ends in a couple of months - can you get it unlocked and switch to a different provider? And if you do, can you take your number with you?

you can take your number to another provider... or at least you used to be able to. haven't tried in a while though so it could have changed. and you should be able to get the phone unlocked but no idea how :P

If you get released from your contract - I'm with 3 and my contract ends in a couple of months - can you get it unlocked and switch to a different provider? And if you do, can you take your number with you?

Yes to both. You just need to call your provider at the end of the contract and ask them to unlock it, some providers do it remotely, others send you a code you need to enter into the handset, it will then be "sim free".

You can take your number anywhere you wish, you again call them and ask for a PAC code (porting authorisation code) which you then give to your new chosen supplier and they can port the number over.

That's the crappy 5S though I'm talking the other one the 6

Isn't it going be the 5S (S for slight upgrade :P) and 5C (Shity version for "emerging" markets) annouced today? The 6 will be next year.

I've been convinced by the Note 3, been holding out upgrading my S2 for like a whole month :P Don't think I'll bother with 4G for now though, fast speeds seem pointless if you have data caps stopping you from streaming on the way to work everyday anyway especially with the extra charge most seem to be going for.

Isn't it going be the 5S (S for slight upgrade :P) and 5C (Shity version for "emerging" markets) annouced today? The 6 will be next year.

Would the conformist get any version of a five on a 12+ month contract with the 6 on the horizon (6 months away) is the point I'm making.

Edited by 5co77ie

Would the conformist get any version of a five on a 12+ month contract with the 6 on the horizon (6 months away) is the point I'm making.

Yes there will be miles of queues to conform in an orderly fashion....this is what Apple and their purchasers do :P

Why Android fans conform to removing the best features of the best phones in order to have custom roms.

While you're all taking the piss out of conformism, I must admit that I deliberately got the Jukebox Zen instead of an ipod, just because I wanted to be different.

I'm still a bit bloody minded, which is why I've got a Kobo instead of a Kindle.

And I'm perfectly well aware of how stupid it is.

There's a reason why certain products are popular. It's because they're user friendly and not only suitable for technophiles.

Edited by feral chile

I do like Creative's portable music players. I've been getting them for aeons.

Also, while iPods themselves are user-friendly, iTunes is a HORRIBLE program. Truly hateful. That program is why I would never consider buying an apple product (in addition to the higher price for its fashionable nature)

I do like Creative's portable music players. I've been getting them for aeons.

Also, while iPods themselves are user-friendly, iTunes is a HORRIBLE program. Truly hateful. That program is why I would never consider buying an apple product (in addition to the higher price for its fashionable nature)

Oh I've slowly come round to the idea. My Zen kept having to be reset. And my Kobo keeps freezing. I don't yet own an apple product though.

And, thinking about it, a friend whom I respected recommended the Zen. And colleagues I respect (one who's a techie) recommended the iphone/ipad.

So I suppose I'm a conformist deep down.

Edited by feral chile

There's a reason why certain products are popular. It's because they're user friendly and not only suitable for technophiles.

I wouldn't say that's really true, most people go on what their friends have

(Conforming :P). Iphones are/were fashionable more than anything else due to great marketing (and the fact big companies still release apps just on iOS at least at first) . Android phones work just as well as iOS out of the box....it's just they also have the ability to customize if you want to.

Though I'd say say they got the IPod right even if Itunes is a piece of shit on Windows....well at least the classic. I'd love to get another classic so I can have all my music on one device but my hate of Itunes does get in the way. I have no idea why no one else makes a decent high capacity mp3 player without adding on stupid screens for video playback to make it more expensive.

Edited by LondonTom