Jessie J

Guest andymk

does jessie j write all her own stuff do you know?

I believe so. If I remember correctly she wrote "Do It Like A Dude" for someone else but then chose to release it herself. That might explain why it jars slightly compared to the rest of her stuff.

Obviosuly she'll now be "working with" other writers/produces, but it's a good sign that her background is in song-writing.

Probably less of a good sign that her background is also the BRIT school...

Edited by budvar

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe so. If I rememebr correctly she wrote "Do It Like A Dude" for soemone else but then chose to release it herself. That might explain why it jars slightly compared to the rest of her stuff.

Obviosuly she'll now be "working with" other writers/produces, but it's a good sign that her background is in song-writing.

Probably less of a good sign that her background is also the BRIT school...

Well I know her music is not aimed at the likes of me and I dont know a lot about her, but I will be surprised if she doesnt go the way of Duffy. I dont think she has enough about her to last another 2 years. I just think there will be a "new improved" version of her by then. Still, time will tell, maybe her 2nd album will be amazing. I didnt realise she was a Brit school product. I'm no fan of adele but somehow she's stuck around so what do I know.

I think a few bands who are huge now will have disappeared by 2013. Mumford & Sons is another one. But I guess some of them will have some longevity.

If you were in that crowd you are nothing more than a sheep who has a brain made out of plasticine which the marketing executives mould into whatever they please.

I wrote a big long well argued reply but in the end just deleted it and choose instead to say:

"f**k off russy"

just because it's not to your taste does not mean her crowd consisted entirely of amoebas.

An artist who writes her own stuff and has a HELL of a voice on her.... like to see you do f**king better but as usual I think you'll just carry on pissing on everyone else's parade

Jessie J = Music for Children

And next year there will be a new music for children, Radio 1 says they are brilliant, act. There is one every year and the only consolation is that within 2 years they are gone again. Of course she attracted more people than Rumer in the same way that westlife and take that fill stadiums.

Why is it important whether she writes her own songs? Did Aretha Franklin write her own songs? No.

If you can perform your own songs well, good for you.

If you can write songs that sound great when other people perform them, good for you.

If you can perform songs well, that were written by someone else, good for you.

And what's wrong with that?

Especially if we extend "children" to include people in their late teens.

Cos if you put on music for 16 year olds (Chipmunk, Jessie J, N-Dubz, Tinchy Stryder etc) and this is the stuff shown on tv then that's the type of person who will want to attend. Do you want to go to an enlarged version of T4 on the beach, if so I know a certain Mr Branson who will be only too happy to welcome you to his festival

Cos if you put on music for 16 year olds (Chipmunk, Jessie J, N-Dubz, Tinchy Stryder etc) and this is the stuff shown on tv then that's the type of person who will want to attend. Do you want to go to an enlarged version of T4 on the beach, if so I know a certain Mr Branson who will be only too happy to welcome you to his festival

Mm, but in recent years one of the big complaints about Glastonbury has been that there's too many old people. So the kiddie bands are just providing balance.

Also, when I was super excited about seeing Ash in '95, I expect there were older people being sniffy.

oh come on nobody kid yourselves, she's dross. do it like a dude is a lame attempt at being somehow subversive, and, even without the unbearable pretension, is a shite song. price tag is little more than a rip off of where is the love by black eyed peas. she really is the pits.

hahahahahaha

So all 16 yr olds listen to that type of music then. What a lovely sweeping statement that means nothing. It's great to see that the diveristy and inclusive nature of the festival is played out here on this forum. Jesus what a bunch of music snobs

V is an emlarged version of T4 on the beach. Glastonbury will always have something for everyone.

Also remember that there are loads of long time Glastonbury goers who take children who might be 8, 10, 12, 14? They might find it to be a better family weekend if theres some music for their kids too. This was certainly the case at Jessie J where there were loads of younger Glastonbury goers who had either dragged their parents along (under 10s), or wandered off and experimented with some Glastonbury independence for this set (young teenagers). It allows them to grow into Glastonbury with their own music, rather than just being taken to music their parents like.

Anyway - I really enjoyed it, but I don't take music that seriously.

I'm 46 and a borderline obsessive fan. :O

Jessie was moaning (very rare) yesterday about how people set up twitter accounts seemingly just to slag her off "If you hate me why make an account to tweet me day in day out to tell me" It does seem that she divides opinion somewhat ;).

All I hear is great singing, great song writing and an effortlessly open, honest, endearing, natural communicator who's mum must be very proud of her. If you don't agree fine, but please let us know what you prefer and why rather than this "it kid's music" nonsense.

Why is it important whether she writes her own songs? Did Aretha Franklin write her own songs? No.

If you can perform your own songs well, good for you.

If you can write songs that sound great when other people perform them, good for you.

If you can perform songs well, that were written by someone else, good for you.

Yep. And sometimes its harder to sing someone elses songs and make them your own (sorry "ones own").

If its good enough for the Chairman, its good enough for me.

"Whatever else has been said about me personally is unimportant. When I sing, I believe."

Frank Sinatra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-h4F-nZQg

If 99% of bands nowadays sang with half, or even a quarter of this feeling and passion we wouldn't be in the dire situation we're in now.

Edited by The Nal

oh come on nobody kid yourselves, she's dross. do it like a dude is a lame attempt at being somehow subversive, and, even without the unbearable pretension, is a shite song. price tag is little more than a rip off of where is the love by black eyed peas. she really is the pits.

so basing opinion on the two songs that have been commercially successful and 'popular'.

Was very interesting to see the amount of thirty plus in that field who to all intents and purposes were just there as nowhere else to be at that moment, and watch the surprise on their faces as she opened with 'mamma knows' and absolutely belted it out. Field was also RAMMED and as someone who was there I can tell you the audience was

NOT predominantly kids, teens and tweenies.

Rather than all this 'she's shit, end of' bollocks I'd respect people far more if they could be a little more constructive and say what exactly their issue/problem with her music.... and beyond that I think the 'navel-gazing, oooh I'm so intense and serious music snobbery' thats often directed to (quite frequently) 'popular' artists that gies on is a steaming pile of w*nk

as someone who was there I can tell you the audience was NOT predominantly kids, teens and tweenies.

I wasn't there, but having seen some clips on local TV the other day when they had the 10 year old who got up on stage with Jessie into the TV studio, it looked completely dominated by those aged about 22 or under. Not exclusively, but dominated.

Rather than all this 'she's shit, end of' bollocks I'd respect people far more if they could be a little more constructive and say what exactly their issue/problem with her music.... and beyond that I think the 'navel-gazing, oooh I'm so intense and serious music snobbery' thats often directed to (quite frequently) 'popular' artists that gies on is a steaming pile of w*nk

this isn't something I'd have bothered about if I hadn't have been making this post for the comment I've made above, but here goes...

It's disposable pop music of the very worst kind. It's Westlife in a 'wacky' haircut (that's about as wacky as a wacky hat). Westlife can sing in tune too you know.

I was there. She is fit. Don't care if she can sing.

As a side note, I didnt hear any of these "kids" moaning about the festival being full of old farts only there for U2. Why is one age group more deserving of being in attendance than another?

I was there. She is fit. Don't care if she can sing.

As a side note, I didnt hear any of these "kids" moaning about the festival being full of old farts only there for U2. Why is one age group more deserving of being in attendance than another?

Cos the older age group has a lot better taste in music than we younguns do. true fact that, apart from dubstep, we do well with dubstep, there should be more dubstep

Cos the older age group has a lot better taste in music than we younguns do. true fact that, apart from dubstep, we do well with dubstep, there should be more dubstep

yes, you younguns should be very proud about about liking a shit version of reggae that exists for those people who don't get the real thing. :lol: