Biffy Clyro

Guest bekimo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love biffy clyro, but surely they don't deserve the headline slot. They can't come up against slipknot as a headline group. Fair enough, they could be brilliant 2/3 from the top or maybe even friday night, but i just don't think they have such a 'pazzarrrrr!!' as rammstien did this year.

It's a booking that shows guts. It's a booking that saves a bit of money to either make Friday bigger or stack the lineup with pretty large non-headlining acts further down. It's an ambitious booking of a band on the up rather than a cyclic lineup, and giving them a chance to pull off a massive headlining stage show. Festivals have to give bands the break occassionally to increase the pool of available headliners.

That said, Biffy have played a LOT lately. They've been touring incessantly for years, they've been doing Download and/or R/L for years. They're supporting the Foos just before. While they're probably bigger than Rammstein, that was Rammstein's first UK date in ages (possibly ever?), which made it a huge coup for Soni to pull off.

Mind you, as someone who isn't that big a fan of Biffy, and has been turning down the chance to see them headlining small venues, doesn't attract me. Still, kudos for the ambition, even though it won't get my ticket.

It's a booking that shows guts. It's a booking that saves a bit of money to either make Friday bigger or stack the lineup with pretty large non-headlining acts further down. It's an ambitious booking of a band on the up rather than a cyclic lineup, and giving them a chance to pull off a massive headlining stage show. Festivals have to give bands the break occassionally to increase the pool of available headliners.

That said, Biffy have played a LOT lately. They've been touring incessantly for years, they've been doing Download and/or R/L for years. They're supporting the Foos just before. While they're probably bigger than Rammstein, that was Rammstein's first UK date in ages (possibly ever?), which made it a huge coup for Soni to pull off.

Mind you, as someone who isn't that big a fan of Biffy, and has been turning down the chance to see them headlining small venues, doesn't attract me. Still, kudos for the ambition, even though it won't get my ticket.

Edited by jump

As some people have said it shows that the bookers are looking for someone new to headline instead of the usual bands that have headlined maybe 2 or 3 years before and just repeat. Ive seen Biffy 3 and 1/2 times and they always put on a great show even when i seem them at Pukkelpop this year on a relatively small stage and small crowd they still put the same energy in as if they were playing to a few thousand.

I can understand people are worried about them headlining but if Lostprophets and MCR can headline surely Biffy can. I think people should not make up their mind till they see them at Soni. Imo they will be able to pull it off and will be a test to see if they can actually make the next step up

Depends on how you want to look at it, Biffy last album sold twice as much as Rammstein in the UK (maybe more) and far more people know Biffy.

I tried explaining Rammstein to someone once and 1st I said the music video of the dwarves with Snow White, no luck, then I said the band at the start of XXX and she still had no idea but she knows Biffy without any help.

Agreed! I doubt Biffy would jump on a giant cock and spray the crowd (who've had rockets fly just over their heads and been scorched with fireballs, flamthrowers, and blasts of smoke) with foam, after battering their brains with metal techno, crowd surfing over them in a rubber dinghy, and having them sing along to Teutonic choruses where they didn't know the words. Biffy's live act is distinctly 'Meh' by comparison.

I actually think Biffy are bigger than Rammstien in the UK and with the Sonisphere crowd but...

Rammstein have played one headline date at a UK festival ever, they rarely ever tour, and they were effectively a one off special attraction, kind of like Germany's Harlem globe trotters.

If Rammstein played as often as Biffy did then I doubt there'd be much of a difference.

I'd say Biffy are the bigger band, but Rammstein are the bigger draw.

I actually think Biffy are bigger than Rammstien in the UK and with the Sonisphere crowd but...

Rammstein have played one headline date at a UK festival ever, they rarely ever tour, and they were effectively a one off special attraction, kind of like Germany's Harlem globe trotters.

If Rammstein played as often as Biffy did then I doubt there'd be much of a difference.

I'd say Biffy are the bigger band, but Rammstein are the bigger draw.

Agreed! I doubt Biffy would jump on a giant cock and spray the crowd (who've had rockets fly just over their heads and been scorched with fireballs, flamthrowers, and blasts of smoke) with foam, after battering their brains with metal techno, crowd surfing over them in a rubber dinghy, and having them sing along to Teutonic choruses where they didn't know the words.

Edited by TheSeventhOne