Biffy Clyro

Guest bekimo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biffy don't have a say, once you have released a song you've rights over the version you made and roylaties from that and other people's version.

They could throw a strop like Yoko did when the 2003ish winner released Happy Xmas War Is Over (despite the Iraq still being on) and get the orginal version out again.

It's a point that's probably allready been made.

But it is about time festivals stopped booking the same headliners they would have done, 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Now I can't understand why people would complain about Biffy as a headliner

If they were headlining the Friday and there was only 3 bands below them then there wouldn't be any complaints

But because they decided to have the big four play together, and have the smaller band on the Saturday, then it's a terrible decision

Sonisphere's definitely going in the right direction imo, taking risk but also growing

Rammstein are a bigger draw to the metal audience, but Biffy's popularity at the moment is soaring, and though they don't have pyro or stage props or anything like that, their own live shows prove how effective and powerful they are as a live band - as evidenced by their set at Reading 2010.

As for 'Many of Horror', that's their song, nobody does it better than them. They should play it live - its better than that soulless rubbish for a supposed cover version.

Yes, Biffy as a headliner is a risk, but they've been knocking on the door for a while and for me, its the right decision for Sonisphere to make. They've just done an arena tour and sold that out, so why can't they take on Sonisphere and rock it to the core?

Don't know why people are complaing about Biffy as a headliner for Soni, Soni is only 50k and their arena tours are of venues of 40k (at London at least) so it isn't a huge jump and it's not as if it's Glasto or Download that has crowd of over 100k people.

Edited by jump

Don't know why people are complaing about Biffy as a headliner for Soni, Soni is only 50k and their arena tours are of venues of 40k (at London at least) so it isn't a huge jump and it's not as if it's Glasto or Download that has crowd of over 100k people.

Oh dear you have got all of that that very wrong indeed !

Biffy played Wembley Arena in London which holds 12,500. Sonisphere is in a field. Yup a field. They can fit way more than 50k at Knebworth if they decide to set it up that way - Robbie Williams had 125,000 there each day for 3 days which means Sonisphere could do hold at least 100k if they could sell that many tickets.

Either which way Biffy is a great headliner for Sonisphere and I cant wait til July !

Yes you're right about last year selling out at 50k.

However at Knebworth Soni can increase the capacity each year if they like by providing more infrastructure, as long as the licence allows.Many festivals increase the capacity each year gradually (eg Latitude,Reading,Glastonbury)

Also if they increase the size i presume the ticket prices would go up. Would love to go and see Biffy headline and they will blow people away imo and its time for a new breed of headliners to start coming in instead of the same ones over and over but im working at Oxegen the same weekend

Edited by Furious-Red

Oh dear you have got all of that that very wrong indeed !

Biffy played Wembley Arena in London which holds 12,500. Sonisphere is in a field. Yup a field. They can fit way more than 50k at Knebworth if they decide to set it up that way - Robbie Williams had 125,000 there each day for 3 days which means Sonisphere could do hold at least 100k if they could sell that many tickets.

Either which way Biffy is a great headliner for Sonisphere and I cant wait til July !

As some people have said it shows that the bookers are looking for someone new to headline instead of the usual bands that have headlined maybe 2 or 3 years before and just repeat. Ive seen Biffy 3 and 1/2 times and they always put on a great show even when i seem them at Pukkelpop this year on a relatively small stage and small crowd they still put the same energy in as if they were playing to a few thousand.

I can understand people are worried about them headlining but if Lostprophets and MCR can headline surely Biffy can. I think people should not make up their mind till they see them at Soni. Imo they will be able to pull it off and will be a test to see if they can actually make the next step up

Also if they increase the size i presume the ticket prices would go up. Would love to go and see Biffy headline and they will blow people away imo and its time for a new breed of headliners to start coming in instead of the same ones over and over but im working at Oxegen the same weekend

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wakestock is organised by Team Sonisphere/Kili Live

So they are still exclusive, just the Kili probably wanted their moneys worth and decided they'd go down well at wakestock too (which is the same weekend)...fail to see how it makes them any less of a pull to soni because Wakestock is a completely different market :S

Wakestock is organised by Team Sonisphere/Kili Live

So they are still exclusive, just the Kili probably wanted their moneys worth and decided they'd go down well at wakestock too (which is the same weekend)...fail to see how it makes them any less of a pull to soni because Wakestock is a completely different market :S

Right and Wakestock is a kili event who own Biffy's contract for Sonisphere. They dont have any OTHER festivals so Biffy won't be anywhere else. Either way, do you really think Wakestock and Sonisphere share a market? I fail to see the big problem as it doesn't affect them playing Sonisphere and they aren't at any other major festival/competing festival

The article didn't say UK exclusive, it just said exclusive headlining set, which didn't specify in what way. They won't be at any other major UK festival it seems, as I said, Wakestock is the same weekend as Sonsisphere and organised by Team Sonisphere too, so they probably thought the band would work well at both, especially as they apply to a more poppy crowd too (Which makes up the line up for wakestock)