pulp

Guest LEDZEP66

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bit where it really gets going "rent a flat above a shop, cut your hair and get a job..." is lyrically and musically pretty much as good as it gets. You can really SING it, and really bounce around and go mental to it - what more could you need?

absolutely loving Mis-Shapes at the moment - such a good song.

I knew a few songs back when they were around (common people, something changed, disco 2000, do you remember the first time) but was a bit young first time around, got into them the last couple of years and have been hoping for a reunion. Essentially if I see them next year, I'll have seen all the bands I really like that i missed first time around (blur, oasis, verve, ocean colour scene - seen them all now)

It wasn't those lines in particular I was referring to, it was that section of the song. I love the way it is sung as much as what is said.....but to answer the question I guess it epitomises middle class slumming. It woke me up in a section of my life where I had been happy to just sink, and was possibly the beginning of me starting to pick myself back up again. If i'd rung my Dad he couldn't have "stopped it all" (nowhere near that rich - certainly not rich enough for me to not to really need to "get a job" either) but I did realise that "I'd never fail like common people or watch my life slide out of view". I realised that through a period of my life where I lived in a shit area in a shit flat with no money, although I didn't have much choice at the time, underneath it all somewhere, there was always a belief that I would move on from it at some point, even if I didn't acknoledge it to myself. I realised that there was no point when I really believed that that was my life, and that that was all there was for me. I always knew I could escape if I tried a bit harder, there was just a long while when I was happy not to try, but when I got really fed up, I did try, and I did get out.

So - to cut a long story short - I like it despite it's accusing tone, because it is, at least in part about me, not totally - but in places it gets me painfully spot on, and I've long since grown out of needing to deny that!

My favourite lyric though "I can't see into the future, but at least I can use the heater"