Weather thread 2011

Guest Paul ™

I was freezing at night last year but it was blessed relief after the blazing heat in the day. I've never felt heat like it in this country I don't think.

I would happily settle for last years weather but ideally warm (not hot) sunny days and a milder night would be perfect!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally last year was too hot for me. I couldn't enjoy myself until circa 5pm when the sun started to cool down a bit. I don't want rain but maybe some respite from the blazing sun now and again.

I just felt this thread needed a pinch of reality so i'm posting this quote from the lovely people at netweather AGAIN:

Summer June and July

As usual, the normal health warning applies here in that at this range confidence in the forecast does tend to drop away. Currently though the summer is expected to start on a drier than average note, with that theme continuing at least in the south of the country into July - but in a similar vein to this month (April) the north of the country is forecast see above average rainfall.

Temperatures across the first two months of summer are expected to be close to, or just above average - so potentially a good deal of dry and warm weather to be seen.

Everything at the moment is pointing to another glorious 5 days weather so all the haters stop hating and all the belivers keep believing.

AMEN.

Let's have 2010 weather, wall to wall sunshine, but knock 5 degrees off the daytime temperature and add it on to the night time temperature please. And no rain. Obviously.

First time I've really dared to look at the weather thread this year but now I've got my ticket sorted :-)

Last year was my first Glasto and there was nothing better than the banter and excitement that was flying around on the weather thread last year. I look forward to this and also the good weather again. I loved the heat in the day but found myself chilly in the nights, if I didn't put a jumper or fleece on, but that was because we were experiencing such a vast change in temperatures + clear skies! Also keeping hydrated in between those beers is ever so important. I remember being shocked at the number of people who experienced heat stroke last year - over 3000!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/27/glastonbury-best-michael-eavis

OK, so as well as the fact that I'm right, what have we learned? That's right a bit like a mattress after a night on the ale, dryness is good. How do we get dryness? Anyone? Anybody, yes, Mr PJFreak? That's it, SUN. The sun is our friend, it keep things dry as it's nice and warm. So who are the enemies of our New Best Friend, Mr Sun? No-one, OK I'll tell you, clouds, they block the sun and contain nasty horrid rain. Rain is also on the list and let's not go into puddles and localised flooding, that's for the 'A' level course. Wind is OK as long as he doesn't get all bolshy and start gusting to high as wind also helps keep things nice and dry.

I don't appreciate your cowardly concessions to compromise. You're scared of a few blessed, shade-giving clouds, just because you're scared they'll rain on you. A gutsier man would insist on some clouds, while also insisting that they drop their rain elsewhere.

I demand perfect weather. You're willing to accept "too hot" just because of your fear of "too wet".

I don't appreciate your cowardly concessions to compromise. You're scared of a few blessed, shade-giving clouds, just because you're scared they'll rain on you. A gutsier man would insist on some clouds, while also insisting that they drop their rain elsewhere.

I demand perfect weather. You're willing to accept "too hot" just because of your fear of "too wet".

One of our nerdy mates (well, he's a meteorologist) takes various bits of stuff with him everywhere he goes. His thermometer bottomed out at 5 degrees during one night last year, that's a bit chilly for me!

Out of interest, the highest daytime temp he got was 29 degrees down at the Other Stage.

I think it's a matter of genetics, mind -- some of us aren't built for heat. I'll happily go for a run in icy conditions wearing shorts/tshirt; I've seen people out running in the recent heat wearing long sleeves and long trousers. Nutters.