Weather thread 2010

Guest remote

Why is everyone so bothered about dust?

Surely I can't be the only one on here who actually likes baking hot days and the dust that comes off the ground? Seriously, I've been on a good few mountain biking/hiking holidays inc. to the Pyranees, Alps, Sierra Nevada and there is nothing better than working up a bit of a sweat, catching the sun, getting crusted in dust. Easy (and feels great when it's warm) to rinse it off with cold water. Much much much (to the power infinity) better than the alternatives IMO.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely sign up to the NRNC train of thought but not with the idea of a scorcher! Have done several of the really hot & really wet Glastonburys & I say both types of weather make it more of an effort for me....though I've never not enjoyed one because of the weather.

Cos of chemo/transplant I have to stay out of the sun as much as possible so the really sunny ones are quite tough as there is not that many places to hide from the sun (yes there are the tented stages but they get hot & crowded plus I wouldn't be able to see many bands). Have tried the umbrella as sun shade approach too but people do moan at you for blocking their view (and no I don't stand anywhere near the front!).

So not supporting the sun worshippers but 100% with the NRNC!

Hope people still like me....... :unsure:

Why is everyone so bothered about dust?

Surely I can't be the only one on here who actually likes baking hot days and the dust that comes off the ground? Seriously, I've been on a good few mountain biking/hiking holidays inc. to the Pyranees, Alps, Sierra Nevada and there is nothing better than working up a bit of a sweat, catching the sun, getting crusted in dust. Easy (and feels great when it's warm) to rinse it off with cold water. Much much much (to the power infinity) better than the alternatives IMO.

The strange thing is, I actually don't want it to rain! At no point have I said I want rain, all I want is a bit of cloud cover (i'm sensitive to the sun!). Anybody would have thought I'd been doing a raindance in readiness!!!!

I totally agree with you that rain would ruin the festival for those people who had crutches/walking difficulties etc I struggled in 2007 with al the mud so I certainly dont want that again!

Ah, but clouds lead to - oh what was it now, oh, that'd be it - RAIN!

No clouds = no rain. It's an extra layer of insurance, not a zero tolerance thing.

Jackones latest,

As promised this is the updated look at Glastonbury featuring 2 days of GFS runs.

First the 00Hz run of Wednesday 8th High Pressure over the UK on the weekend before the festival, but this edging away to the wast, allowing slighlty lower pressure and the potential for some showers for the first few days of the festival. <_<

06Hz High presume slowly losing dominance over the UK the weekend before the festival, with low pressure taking its place from the Atlantic, for the Wednesday and Thursday of the festival, with some potential for heavy outbreaks of rain. :angry:

12Hz Deeply unsettled conditions the weekend before the festival, with Low pressure bang on top of the UK, but High Pressure starting to ridge up from the SW, and this settling things down a bit in time for the festival. :)

18Hz

Now followed by the runs of Wednesday 9th

00Hz

06Hz

12Hz Unsettled the weekend before the festival, but signs of High Pressure building to the west of the UK, this ridging across all parts by Wednesday so a dry first 3 days of the festival would be likely. Temps likely to be in high teens. :clap:

18Hz

More detail;

As promised this is the updated look at Glastonbury featuring 2 days of GFS runs.

First the 00Hz run of Wednesday 8th High Pressure over the UK on the weekend before the festival, but this edging away to the west, allowing slighlty lower pressure and the potential for some showers for the first few days of the festival. <_<

06Hz High presume slowly losing dominance over the UK the weekend before the festival, with low pressure taking its place from the Atlantic, for the Wednesday and Thursday of the festival, with some potential for heavy outbreaks of rain. :angry:

12Hz Deeply unsettled conditions the weekend before the festival, with Low pressure bang on top of the UK, but High Pressure starting to ridge up from the SW, and this settling things down a bit in time for the festival. :)

18Hz High Pressure in control for much of next week up to next weekend, but slowly losing control allowing Atlantic fronts to start to push in from the NW, on the Wednesday reaching Glastonbury late Thursday. :(

Now followed by the runs of Wednesday 9th

00Hz High Pressure in control for much of next week up to next weekend, but slowly losing control allowing a Low Pressure system to sit bang on top of the UK for the start of the festival, giving some very heavy rain at times, and mud bath potential. :wallbash:

06Hz High Pressure over the UK slowing diminishing on the weekend before the festival, but this edging away to the SW, allowing slightly lower pressure and the potential for some showers for the first few days of the festival. <_<

12Hz Unsettled the weekend before the festival, but signs of High Pressure building to the west of the UK, this ridging across all parts by Wednesday so a dry first 3 days of the festival would be likely. Temps likely to be in high teens. :clap:

18Hz

The High pressure tends to stay a little further west on this and never really dominates the scene over the UK, and by the start of the festival, it remains only sightly to the west of the UK, however that is enough to allow low pressure to push over the UK and give a wet start to the festival.

In many ways the weather pattern up until the weekend before Glastonbury is firming up, with settled weather for much of next week.

However that is where the confidence starts to really fade away. there is the chance of the High pressure slowly diminishing and edging back South West, with an unsettled period of weather following this either with rain or showers is possibly the most likely outcome, But todays 12Hz looks a little bit more promising.

/index.php?showtopic=133023&st=1460">Source

Edited by Buddhafish