Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

15 hours ago, mjsell said:

Caught up with this last night - And have to agree, might even have been slightly better. She's a perfect replacement.

It's often the choice of guests that seem to let it down.  There has been a trend to have a relatively unknown (to me anyway) woman on the panel (tokenism?), but not even the usual suspects of Brand, Long, Pascoe, Ryan, - but an aussie or one from Ireland.  Nothing wrong with that per se, but they have to be funny.

6 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

It's often the choice of guests that seem to let it down.  There has been a trend to have a relatively unknown (to me anyway) woman on the panel (tokenism?), but not even the usual suspects of Brand, Long, Pascoe, Ryan, - but an aussie or one from Ireland.  Nothing wrong with that per se, but they have to be funny.

father-ted-careful-now.gif

• Upvote 1

I find Jo Brand hilarious, each to their own.  I get what you say about tokenism though, sometimes as bad as the exclusion it purports to avoid but in the case of panel shows I am grateful for the attention as there was clearly under representation for a long time which is at least trying to be addressed, however clumsily.

• Upvote 1

Still thoroughly enjoying Westworld, which has maintained it's high production values, intriguing plot and characters.  The reveal last week (for those who spotted it) was excellent and this week's episode, while quite different was equally gripping.

I really like the pianola reel, which has played some great music, including Soundgarden, Radiohead, DJ Shadow and others.

Yep, Planet Earth II was utterly breathtaking as expected. 

Morbid thought of the day: I have realised that there is no one (outside of my family/friends) who is of old age that I would be more upset about losing than the big DA. Unlike most of other icons of his age he continues to put his efforts into creating world beating works and is truly phenomenal at it too. 

21 hours ago, Spindles said:

Still thoroughly enjoying Westworld, which has maintained it's high production values, intriguing plot and characters.  The reveal last week (for those who spotted it) was excellent and this week's episode, while quite different was equally gripping.

I really like the pianola reel, which has played some great music, including Soundgarden, Radiohead, DJ Shadow and others.

yep Westworld is great, although there are literally SO many mysteries/questions going on (and more coming every episode) that i really hope they have the answers all lined up and that it doesn't go the way of, say, Lost where it just keeps piling them on until there's no way they can possibly all be resolved in the end. enjoying it a lot though - looks great, fantastic cast who are all putting in great performances and very intriguing storyline 

The thing I like is that I was discussing it with a friend and he floated a theory at about episode 3 or 4 that was completely in the opposite direction to what I was thinking was going on.  Last week he was proven right.  I don't want to say too much because not everyone will have watched it yet and I think you need to figure it out as you go along to get the best from it (which makes it hard to sing the praises of).

With Stanger things just a couple of months or so back and now this I have to say it's been a great year for original television.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Footage of the Snow Leopards last night was off the hook. Never been filmed like that before. Vicious little c**ts. 

Snow leopard footage was class, I'm stuggling to accept that the golden eagle footage (around the fox carcass) wasnt a set up though. Was far too fortunate that the carcass was within filming sight of the pre erected cameras. Still cracking stuff though. 

And it frustrated me that they didnt explain the eagle shots where it looked like the camera was on its back. I know they showed how they re-enacted their flight with the paragliders but there was a few shots used where you could see the eagles head whilst flying/diving.

I genuinely would be happy if they did an off shoot series that just chronicled all of the expeditions that occurred to capture all of the footage - I'm massively interested in the human stories as well as the amazing footage captured. I'm guessing they wouldnt want to do that though as they wouldnt want to show some of their secrets.

11 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Snow leopard footage was class, I'm stuggling to accept that the golden eagle footage (around the fox carcass) wasnt a set up though. Was far too fortunate that the carcass was within filming sight of the pre erected cameras. Still cracking stuff though. 

And it frustrated me that they didnt explain the eagle shots where it looked like the camera was on its back. I know they showed how they re-enacted their flight with the paragliders but there was a few shots used where you could see the eagles head whilst flying/diving.

I genuinely would be happy if they did an off shoot series that just chronicled all of the expeditions that occurred to capture all of the footage - I'm massively interested in the human stories as well as the amazing footage captured. I'm guessing they wouldnt want to do that though as they wouldnt want to show some of their secrets.

I don't think they were pre erected? I think he spotted the carcass and then set up the shot didn't he?

And yeah, clearly theres always production that goes into it. Particularly with the hunting scenes. What makes it so good to watch! They capture in 2-3 minutes what really takes an hour or so. Like the foxes hunting the ibex. That probably lasted an hour or two. 

Edited by The Nal

22 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I don't think they were pre erected? I think he spotted the carcass and then set up the shot didn't he?

Nah according to that last 10 minutes of last nights episode he had been in the hide for a while and had captured nothing and then he suddenly 'got lucky' with the carcass footage. I shouldnt be so cynical - because either way, it was great footage, but all my set-up alarm bells were ringing.

22 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And yeah, clearly theres always production that goes into it. Particularly with the hunting scenes. What makes it so good to watch! They capture in 2-3 minutes what really takes an hour or so. Like the foxes hunting the ibex. That probably lasted an hour or two. 

Yeah I find the stories surrounding the production so interesting - like the penguins last week (getting on and off that island) - almost as tense as what they ended up recording. 

Edited by mjsell

14 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Nah according to that last 10 minutes of last nights episode he had been in the hide for a while and had captured nothing and then he suddenly 'got lucky' with the carcass footage. I shouldnt be so cynical - because either way, it was great footage, but all my set-up alarm bells were ringing.

Sorry yeah thats what I meant. Assume they set the hide at a height and where they know eagles can spot food easily enough. 

I'm pretty sure theres fairly strong ethics around this type of stuff - not messing about with nature etc so I'd be surprised if it was a plant.