Cricket

greeneyes1980

I'm fine with giving Lyth more time. He's not a reassuring presence though.

I'm still unsure about Hales, not sure he's a Test style player. Personally I'd give Sam Robson another go, doubt that'll happen any time soon though.

I'm just fed up of the constant 1-2 series each opener gets. This instability isn't helping either.

A Test century isn't nothing, and I'd argue the NZ bowlers are incredibly well suited to Headingley, moreso than most foreign attacks on English pitches. He's also seeing off the new ball, the problem is that after that he tries to get aggressive too quickly and gets himself out. I'm not convinced his technique is the problem so much as temperament. 

There's also no point dropping someone if you can't improve on it. I liked Robson more than Lyth, but I'm not sure Hales would be a step up. Who would you bring in in his place?

What's amazing is we're not actually THAT good. Fair play to broad yesterday, but other than root, who from this crop of players would get into our 2005 side?*

And we're gonna be three one up.

*obviously bell and Anderson were there but you know what I mean.

Cook and Broad definitely. Anderson was only in the squad for the 5th test and didn't play. Edited by TheGayTent

I don't think there's even a question is there? Harmison was better than just a bully on a wicket that suited, but he wasn't the all round cricketer that Broad is. How often did Harmison win test matches almost single handedly against the very best sides?

Broad has done it 3 times in ashes test matches alone. He's also mentally strong, something that can't be said of Harmison.

Finally, statistically broad beats Harmison hands down. There really isn't any question who was the better player.

If we go back to the original question, the only doubt is if you want to argue about the balance of a team and whether the 2005 side had a great balance to it, and replacing Harmison with Broad would disrupt that balance. Personally, I don't think so, but I can see that being a valid argument.