Cricket

greeneyes1980

If the convicts win I will do nothing but doff my cap to them.

Bored by the negativity....probably the same people criticising getting all out by playing positive cricket as the ones that moan about the team playing too conservatively and not declaring early enough...

Just remember the early 90s and be ecstatic

I think it was late 80s when I first got into cricket and we really were the whipping boys of international cricket. From memory some of the batsmen were decent eg robin smith and alan lamb, but most of the bowlers I remember were poor, Peter Such and Neil Foster come to mind,

Ha I've just realised - I have done OT, it's Headingley I haven't !

Probably because the 2nd day was a wash out and I got far too drunk on pedigree...

Excellent morning. It'd be really helpful if Lyth and Bell got some runs in the 2nd innings

To me the crowd in OT is what lets it down, there always seem to be drunken idiots who take things too far, where as the most anti social things the trent bridge audience do is make snakes out of plastic glasses.

If the convicts win I will do nothing but doff my cap to them.

Bored by the negativity....probably the same people criticising getting all out by playing positive cricket as the ones that moan about the team playing too conservatively and not declaring early enough...

I agree, to be honest I thought there was a lot negativity going into the series. Australia are a decent side, but not in the same league as their teams of the past, I saw it as a 50/50 series at the start and still do. The only disappointment about seeing Root doing well is it pushes a relative of mine GE tyldesly close to leaving the top 20 test batting averages!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/282910.html

Starc 'might' be fit for Lord's apparently.

Australia's bowling attack has gone from shockingly world class to dangerously bare boned in the space of 2 weeks. Losing Starc as well as Harris would be huge.

Johnson still hasn't proven he cant bowl in England, Hazelwood was far and away their biggest threat. And Lyon still sits in the average spinner category for me

Hazlewood looked good to me, outshone by Starc and the English bowlers, but I'm worried about him. I think Siddle would be dangerous as well, he's got a good record against us, although better in Aus.

Lyon seems a Test quality spinner to me, but not a special one. Mind you, Moeen isn't exactly any better. I don't think we'll be cracking out 400+ in the first innings all series though.

I wouldn't make the change yet, but could certainly see him moving up the order to replace an out of form player.

Now isn't the time to mess with the balance of the side but I don't see why you cant use Moeen as a batter with the advantage of having a very good second spinner (although Root might have something to say about that). His batting has been excellent and really has been a victim of batting too low down the order, having to hurry his innings while he still has a partner at the other end 

do you think Rashid will perform both with bat and ball?

As TGT says, effective at aggressive scoring when there's a platform already.

I'm not as convinced by his bowling as many punters based on what I've seen, though happy to give him a chance. Moeen's proven himself capable of getting top batsman out and has a 5-wicket haul to his name. Windies aside, he's performed impressively so far and I'd be reluctant to leave him out.

We'll see how things go though. I think it's a blow.

The thing that is worrying (other than the fact we bowled all day for 1 wicket) is the fact that the Aussies have the batting ability to score quick runs, they will know that a draw is very possible on this pitch, I can see them getting 600 before tea.

The thing that is worrying (other than the fact we bowled all day for 1 wicket) is the fact that the Aussies have the batting ability to score quick runs, they will know that a draw is very possible on this pitch, I can see them getting 600 before tea.

They would need to score at a run a ball to do that. Quite possible I guess. England just need to keep their cool, not lose discipline and bowl to their plans.

Then have the confidence to go out and bat for 5 sessions themselves. Do that, the game is as good as done.