Cricket

greeneyes1980

Ballance did great last summer, Cook hasn't had an opening partner he can get a good understanding with. Most of Cook's centuries have come alongside Strauss/Trott/KP/Bell. He was part of a settled top 5 and benefited hugely from that. It's no surprise he's being less fluent when the players around him are changing endlessly.

Ballance has looked great for England at 3 so far, not a good score today but to suggest he's a problem after his performances last summer is premature. Ditto Trott. Unless there is something going on that we don't know about, they all deserve to play at least this full series.

Bigger question for me is Broad and Tredwell.

• 2 weeks later...

1) I would think it's almost impossible to do. However, hypothetically I would think the answer would be yes, for the reason I guess you're thinking. It's certainly true that players often get out after reaching landmarks due to lack of concentration, playing more freely etc.

2) I would think a bigger factor in players scoring more runs though, would be playing for the themselves rather than playing for the team - see a certain Geoffrey Boycott OBE.

PS - what was Moeen thinking??

1) I would think it's almost impossible to do. However, hypothetically I would think the answer would be yes, for the reason I guess you're thinking. .

They would have to not acknowledge the crowd, which could come across as disrespectful in a gentlemans game. I would be interested to see it happen though! So many people seem to completely change the way of playing that got them approaching the landmark and end up getting out.

They would have to not acknowledge the crowd, which could come across as disrespectful in a gentlemans game. I would be interested to see it happen though! So many people seem to completely change the way of playing that got them approaching the landmark and end up getting out.

Cook and Gooch subscribe to the mindset without actually ignoring milestones. They talked of "daddy" hundreds - which basically meant not getting carried away after reaching the century, remaining calm, going on to score 150, 200 etc...

Not that its done Cook much good in the last 18 months...but better today.

The Samuels salute was funny !

Cook and Gooch subscribe to the mindset without actually ignoring milestones. They talked of "daddy" hundreds - which basically meant not getting carried away after reaching the century, remaining calm, going on to score 150, 200 etc...

Not that its done Cook much good in the last 18 months...but better today.

The Samuels salute was funny !

Think it's worth mentioning Joe Root in that. Apart from his very first century, he's gone big in all his following ones. 180, 200*, 154*, 149*, currently 118*.

He's just looking astonishingly good in this number 5 spot. Can't believe there's talk of shifting him back to open and risking this form.

They're so phenomenally moronic most of the time.

He's usually pretty sensible about cricket. But he came out with this at the weekend and it's just so stupid.

I think choosing your friends based on their view of the ideal England batting order would leave you with few friends.

trott should not be an opener, and its hard to see where he should fit into the team considering 3,4&5 are all settled positions.

plus not playing a full time spinner for that game was a bit of a joke, moeen ali hasn't lived up to the expectations that have been given to him since last summer, and root is part time at best. not changing the team to suit the pitch is a silly tactic, play the best team for the game. yorkshire must be livid that Rashid got called up and has just sat around for the 3 test matches when they could have used him in the county championship

not changing the team to suit the pitch is a silly tactic,

Absolutely. England have been guilty of it for years though.

I still don't like this tendency to pick bowlers who can bat. You absolutely have to pick your 4 best bowlers. Only one, maybe two, of Stokes/Ali/Jordan should be in the team. They're all a good 5th bowling option but a weak 4th and awful 3rd.

I don't know. It seems ridiculous to have someone in charge of the setup that was a part of it only a couple of years ago.

It's probably partially because England were successful under Strauss, but he had one of the best selections of players around, all in their prime, with few injuries. And he was still a conservative influence.