Cricket

greeneyes1980

I wish I could remember his name but some ex player was confirming some of it on Five Live... and Ricky Ponting has confirmed some of it as well...

To be frank the whole setup sounds a bit toxic...

Tremlett made some comment suggesting the atmosphere could be unpleasant if you weren't one of the gang. Vaughan backed up the bullying bowlers comment. I wouldn't trust what any Aussie says about the England dressing room though.

Tremlett made some comment suggesting the atmosphere could be unpleasant if you weren't one of the gang. Vaughan backed up the bullying bowlers comment. I wouldn't trust what any Aussie says about the England dressing room though.

There's nearly always a batting/bowling clique in a cricket team. I've played in plenty myself, it's only natural. That's not the same as one clique bullying all or individuals from the other.

I wonder why Tremlett would possibly side with KP...

I wish I could remember his name but some ex player was confirming some of it on Five Live... and Ricky Ponting has confirmed some of it as well...

To be frank the whole setup sounds a bit toxic...

How the fuck would Punter know?!

This ex player that you can't remember who it was...what exactly did he comfirm...? I'm guessing nothing other than he held the same opinion as KP?

Lastly, I don't think Monty, Tremlett, Trott, or Finn have been mistreated. There were bloody good reasons why all of them went from being in the team to not being in the team.

Individuals, including KP himself could no doubt have been handled better - but that's a lot different to being mistreated.

Edited by TheGayTent

Lastly, I don't think Monty, Tremlett, Trott, or Finn have been mistreated. There were bloody good reasons why all of them went from being in the team to not being in the team.

Individuals, including KP himself could no doubt have been handled better - but that's a lot different to being mistreated.

Trott's form diminished and he left the England setup because he had a mental breakdown. That suggests to me his employer/manager let him down. I was one of the biggest critics of Trott's form but mishandled mental health issues does show problems in the management. Of course, those problems might not be anything to do with what irked KP.

Personally, I think Finn's been handled terribly over the years, and a number of others should have been managed differently, but whether KP's accusations are at all relevant is a different question. As you say, mishandled and mistreated are different beasts.

If it was a breakdown that Trott suffered with, and he himself has comes up with conflicting stories on that, I think it's extremely harsh to put the blame on the management just like that. Particularly when Trott has said he hadn't made the management team aware there was even an issue until very close to the point at which he could no longer continue.

If it was a breakdown that Trott suffered with, and he himself has comes up with conflicting stories on that, I think it's extremely harsh to put the blame on the management just like that. Particularly when Trott has said he hadn't made the management team aware there was even an issue until very close to the point at which he could no longer continue.

Someone going through a mental breakdown not being completely coherent on what they're going through? Not exactly remarkable or a conclusive counterargument.

I was less critical of the management at the time because of the suggestion that it was an immediate stress collapse after a difficult time in the first test, it's only in this ridiculously extended aftermath to The Ashes that there's been information come out about Trott having notable difficulties beforehand.

Of course, KP could just be bullshitting to add to his own agenda.

Ponting was talking about what was done and said on the pitch. So he would know quite a bit I presume...

If there were anything in that, we'd already know about it, given punter would only hear stuff whilst batting and 99% of the stuff said on and around the wicket is picked up by the microphones.

Any bullying that might be going on, isn't going on, on the pitch.

Someone going through a mental breakdown not being completely coherent on what they're going through? Not exactly remarkable or a conclusive counterargument.

It's also not a slamming indictment on the management is it. Remember, changes in one's behaviour can sometimes be a pointer to there being a problem. Trott was always different to the other guys in terms of his unusual (and solitary) warm up routines, superstitions, twitchiness, etc. Unless Trott was bullied by England players before he'd even been picked I fail to see how you can blame the England management for Trott's issues.

Perhaps the point that's been missed the most, is that Trott himself has not claimed anything of the sort of what his countryman is alleging. In fact, Trott has previously been one of KP's biggest critics.

All this from one of KP's biggest defenders previously...

And now Alex Stewart... And Vaughan.. and Ponting.. Plus other players have spoken out not on your list.

You are clearly postioning yourself not to believe anything regardless...

Vaughan didn't back up what KP has said other than to say exactly what I have - that there's often a a bowling clique within a cricket team.

KP in selling a book shocker...

He also said the bowlers could be disrespectful...

Like I said you clearly are not going to give this any consideration.

If you want to talk disrespectful which player admitted sending disrespectful text messages about the England captain....?

Not to just anyone but opposition players in the team that England were playing a test series against at the time!

Of course... Hence why there is a need for others to stand up and be counted if they are true... But it would seem you won't have any of it unless the accused stand up and say its true...

Whilst you take the word of someone that has proven to be guilty of much of allegations he is making of others...all at the same time as promoting a new book. Naive at best.

I am reading what he is saying... and watching as others come forward to confirm various parts of it...

I don't think you're doing what you're saying you're doing - because the opinions that others have given substantiate only what we already know.

That KP was ribbed with the parody account and bowlers often stick together.

Nothing to see here.

Its called being stupidly loyal to your "hero's" :D

They aren't my "heroes". However if they were, KP would be too. As I said previously, I've been one of his biggest defenders on this forum in the past.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why are other countries playing the real form while we're just practising for the world cup? Still, good to see James Taylor score runs for England, even if not in the test team.

Also pleased Sam Billings has been called up. I rate him higher than Kies and Bairstow as a wickie.

Why are other countries playing the real form while we're just practising for the world cup?

That's because money, er, because TV, er because the itinerary says we should be.

Still, good to see James Taylor score runs for England, even if not in the test team.

Agreed.

Also pleased Sam Billings has been called up. I rate him higher than Kies and Bairstow as a wickie.

As a Kentishman, have seen him a fair bit over the last couple of years. He certainly has potential, I would like to see more focus when it comes to his 'keeping though - it's whether he can do this without his batting suffering.

As a Kentishman, have seen him a fair bit over the last couple of years. He certainly has potential, I would like to see more focus when it comes to his 'keeping though - it's whether he can do this without his batting suffering.

I've only seen a small amount of him, but he certainly looks like he's got something about him. Bairstow's never convinced me behind the stumps, but it's always a worry with the all-rounders whether they can improve one side of their game without impacting the other.

I've only seen a small amount of him, but he certainly looks like he's got something about him. Bairstow's never convinced me behind the stumps, but it's always a worry with the all-rounders whether they can improve one side of their game without impacting the other.

I think Kent have done a fantastic job with him thus far. Getting the balance right between picking an exciting young prospect and over playing him.

I'm hopeful he will keep on improving, but then plenty don't (Denly being an obvious example).

Agree with you re Bairstow's keeping. Unfortunately, it looks as though the earliest we're going to see Kieswetter again in whites is 2016 so he's completely off the radar for now.

I think Kent have done a fantastic job with him thus far. Getting the balance right between picking an exciting young prospect and over playing him.

I'm hopeful he will keep on improving, but then plenty don't (Denly being an obvious example).

Agree with you re Bairstow's keeping. Unfortunately, it looks as though the earliest we're going to see Kieswetter again in whites is 2016 so he's completely off the radar for now.

My worry is that England seem to do a terrible job with prospects. They seem to give a really brief chance, and then either throw them out completely (Taylor in the test team), keep pulling them in and out of the team and not giving them enough chance of play cricket of any form (Finn, Bairstow), or exaggerate their importance, act reliant on them and then let their confidence get completely shot by picking them even when unsuited (Stokes).

This is probably a bit of an exaggeration, as there are success stories (Root, Ali, Ballance), but I get a bit worried.