Cricket

greeneyes1980

Unchanged? Surprised by that, I'd have brought Finn in. Probably for Jordan as I reckon Woakes has looked a bit more threatening but neither has impressed.

Can't see how there was any choice other than to bowl first.

The phrase you shouldn't change a winning team will be (Jonathan) trotted out presumably. Not that I agree with it necessarily.

The phrase you shouldn't change a winning team will be (Jonathan) trotted out presumably. Not that I agree with it necessarily.

I'd argue you shouldn't tinker with a winning team. Don't experiment and change for the hell of it, but I don't think Finn would be such a change.

They would argue it's not going to bad at the moment though, and Jordan in the wickets too. Woakes...?

I reckon Finn would be better than either. I don't think either Jordan or Woakes will be key players ever, but I think Woakes is fractionally more likely to and while he's taken fewer wickets I think he's looked better than Jordan.

That said, they've both done well this morning. England to win tomorrow?

Agree re Finn over either.

Though I think Woakes is absolute toilet from what I've seen. James Kirtley mk II.

I don't rate Woakes. He's bowled decently at times but still hasn't done anything to make me think he'll be a good long-term option. I just think he's bowled less dirge than Jordan and a higher number of threatening balls.

So is this all down to England finally coming good or India just being woeful...

I think you can argue from both sides of the coin. No doubting the bowling is much better though!

Bit of both. England have got better, particularly in fielding/catching. India have been atrocious though.

Another time the 10th wicket is the hardest to get though. Keeps happening again and again...

Disappointing shots from Cook and Ballance to get out. I thought Ballance looked brilliantly set for a century, unlike Cook he hadn't been giving chances before the one that was taken.

Worried about Bell's form, another failure when he should be setting himself up for a score.

Does the schedule need looking at? Perhaps Sri Lanka have earned a 5 match test series and perhaps the Indians should get only 2...?

I did think it a bit ridiculous that we scheduled a 5-Test series against India just because their ego wants it considered as important as The Ashes. I don't have a problem with them getting a 5-match, but the reason seemed stupid.

Almost certainly would have been better cricket if we'd had another test or two against SL though, far closer and more of the tense excitement that makes test matches so special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So KP: The Vendetta has been released.

Haven't read the book itself and don't intend to, but some of the quotes are interesting. Hardly anyone comes out of it well.

I think what's most interesting is the idea that the bowlers+Prior's "clique" and "bullying" over dropped catches broke Trott. If true that's probably the most damning thing in there, as the quotes (and most conversations over the years) show that KP himself would be hard to deal with personally, but it does raise the questions about how a number of other talents have been mishandled lately. Finn, Tremlett, Monty, Trott. Interesting but definitely should embarrass KP himself.