Cricket

greeneyes1980

They would need to score at a run a ball to do that. Quite possible I guess. England just need to keep their cool, not lose discipline and bowl to their plans.

Then have the confidence to go out and bat for 5 sessions themselves. Do that, the game is as good as done.

I agree, but scoreboard pressure will make that far more difficult than a regular innings however. And its all well and good being in for 5 sessions but if we only come out of it with 350 then we'd still be in trouble

And yeah I think Australia will be looking at keeping a run rate somewhere in the 5's today, they have 9 wickets in hand.. no point plodding along at this stage in my eyes.

England on the defensive, so we will see how much character and strength is in our team these days. God I miss Collingwood for matches like this.

Not many would be moaning were it England in this position.

I agree though, test cricket should be a good even contest between bat and ball and this wicket looks too one sided...then again, we haven't seen what the convicts can do with a new cherry yet...

Even if it was England in this position you would still be looking at the Aussies coming in and doing something similar....

No, you'd be hoping that at 1 up already and 600 on the board, the pressure would get to the convicts and they'd crumble.

sigh... I hope its not like this at Edgbaston....

Two days without rain is my first concern.

He reminds me of Anderson at the beginning of his career in that his bowling often looks dangerous but he doesn't take enough wickets and bowls too many four balls.

Hopefully he can learn his craft and have a test career somewhere close to Anderson's.

He reminds me of Anderson at the beginning of his career in that his bowling often looks dangerous but he doesn't take enough wickets and bowls too many four balls.

Hopefully he can learn his craft and have a test career somewhere close to Anderson's.

Having half Anderson's Test career would still be a massive feat and huge contribution though.

Lyth needs to be given more of a chance. I get why the question is getting asked but we're just rotating openers constantly.

Also, every possible replacement suggestion - with the exception of Hales who looks like too much of a T20 player to me - isn't an opener but a middle order player. Are people really advocating moving Root from 5 where he averages ~80?

a very poor performance, some silly decisions made in split seconds whilst batting cost us badly.

aussies - 800+ runs for 10 wickets.

us... 400~ for 20.

I know there's talk of switching things, but I'd suggest keeping the same team for another game, if it fails again then make some changes.

also there was a stat I saw earlier on the bbc live text - Since July 2013 we have the lowest average score after 3 wickets have fallen, apart from Zimbabwe. sums up the struggles they've had recently

Bairstow played 14 matches and averaged 27 without a century to his name. He deserves a recall?

Lyth has played 4 matches and averages 25 with a century to his name. He's had his chance and deserves dropping?

Lots of those matches were in bursts of one or two, as cover for Prior/Bell/KP/Trott, he didn't have an extended run in the team. Also his county form is excellent right now.

That said, your point is well made. I've been saying we need to persist with Lyth and that it's too early to give up on him.

Would you make any changes?