2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Did a 6 mile run last night for the first time in a couple of months (injured my achilles running a half marathon in March and had to rest up). 53 minutes and it hurt to buggery.

Almost the same time and distance as me! Would love to get under 50/49 mins on a 10k before the festival.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This:

https://www.lesmills.com/uk/workouts/high-intensity-interval-training/les-mills-grit-plyo/

It's a world of pain, and half an hour of it feels like a lifetime.  But anything that hurts that much has to be good for you.

Is there a schedule of which you are meant to do when? I've seen they have at home workouts, but there are a number and different types...obviously don't want to jump right in at the last one!!

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

How's the achilles this morning?

Fine thanks. Had to go to A&E for a scan the day after the half because I was worried it was ruptured, luckily it was just badly pulled. My own fault as it had been pulling for a few weeks leading up to the half but I was ignoring it as I really wanted to run it. It got worse with every run, could barely walk for a day or two after each run. Finally it went pop about half way round the course, managed to finish (still went under 2 hours which I was proud of) but I couldn't put any weight on my foot afterwards and was advised to rest it for 6 weeks.

Did a lot of swimming in that time to keep my base fitness up and did a few light jogs on the treadmill over the last couple of weeks to test it. Finally went out yesterday and touch wood it's been fine. Felt great to be out again.

Edited by Hugh Jass

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fine thanks. Had to go to A&E for a scan the day after the half because I was worried it was ruptured, luckily it was just badly pulled. My own fault as it had been pulling for a few weeks leading up to the half but I was ignoring it as I really wanted to run it. It got worse with every run, could barely walk for a day or two after each run. Finally it went pop about half way round the course, managed to finish (still went under 2 hours which I was proud of) but I couldn't put any weight on my foot afterwards and was advised to rest it for 6 weeks.

Did a lot of swimming in that time to keep my base fitness up and did a few light jogs on the treadmill over the last couple of weeks to test it. Finally went out yesterday and touch wood it's been fine. Felt great to be out again.

Thats outrageous to be able to keep running a half marathon with a pinged achilles - thats some willpower. When I ran a half, my left knee had inflated to about twice the size - my lack of cartilage absolutely killed me, leaving me having to trundle in over the last 3 miles. Was dissappointed by it all, and tbh will probably be the only time I'll run something like that. I'm 25, my knee shouldnt be that bad.

My ankle injury from around 6-7 weeks ago is still causing me pain and hasn't gone back to normal yet. I'm not back at the gym properly but trying to phase in going for a swim to try and strengthen it up. With just 5 weeks to go I'm a little worried I'll struggle round the farm. Does anyone have any tips for supporting a weak ankle during the festival or for strengthening it now in the run up? 

20 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Well I did it.

But I still can't do it every time. 3 runs a week I probably manage 30 mins a 20-odd and a just below 20. It's the legs that give in more than breath though. 

They probably don't like supporting all this weight :lol: 

PS your missus finds your pump dull as dishwater?

Downloaded the app last night and went for the first run. Im still alive and it wasnt horrible. Hopefully can keep it up until the festival

I really really want to be in good shape for the festival but alas my gym pass sits untouched. My willpower is just non existent right now....perhaps I should cut back on my herbal sleep remedies. I'm going to Croatia beforehand and usually the thought of someone seeing me in a bikini like this will whip me into doing some mild cardio. Not this year. This year I don't really care. I do walk places occasionally but that in no way will prepare me for the marathon that is Glastonbury. :blink:  It's crunch time. Literally I need to do crunches. 

• 1 month later...

So how did everyone do this year? I felt the best ever. Upping the distance I run around Worthy farm during the year certainly helped. I felt wide awake and ready for every day. In fact a friend staying with us marvelled at the fact that we were the last in and first out each day - how could we possibly have so much energy.

This week has not been half as bad as previous years regarding tiredness. Now that could be due to the weather and ground being easier to walk on, but I think being several stone lighter and far fitter than previous years has definitely upped my enjoyment of the festival.