Frank Ocean

FloorFiller

Gutting news and I'm disappointed for all the fans who picked up tickets desperate to see him. He's gaining a bit of a reputation for this sort of thing which is a massive shame because he's next level good and could be as big as he wants to be if he saw it through. I genuinely think he has it all and the platform is there for him to write his name in history. Whether or not live shows are deemed as important as records to Frank or artists of his genre, I don't know. Is it REALLY to do with the production? Because if it is, pull your finger out man. You have months to prepare a show and create something that will fulfil your artistic vision. I don't know what reasoning has been given in the past or what the real truth behind all the cancellations are but either way, its shit for everybody every time. Obviously I hope that the issues aren't regarding his health or friends and family etc. Performing live is a huge deal with massive pressure. I know there is nothing to suggest that at the moment but you never know. Fingers crossed in the future he'll manage to do these shows and they'll do the talking. Then he'll go down as not only a visionary - an innovative recording artist but also a great live performer with an outstanding live show. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that this isn't glasto related, but anyone else frantically searching 'Frank Ocean Parklife' on twitter every half hour for news?

Absolutely shitting myself.

Though he's meant to be playing Northside in Denmark tomorrow nigh which he hasn't yet cancelled. And I've just seen this tweet from what looks like a Danish journo:

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 10.20.33.png

Edited by ConorC

Just now, ConorC said:

Anyone else frantically searching 'Frank Ocean Parklife' on twitter every half hour for news?

Absolutely shitting myself.

Though he's meant to be playing Northside in Denmark tomorrow nigh which he hasn't yet cancelled. And I've just seen this tweet from what looks like a Danish journo:

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 10.20.33.png

Looking good then (for now). Fucking pissed that I was at the last festival he cancelled before he pulled his finger out mind - might have to begrudgingly try and get a day ticket for Lovebox from somewhere.

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Looking good then (for now). Fucking pissed that I was at the last festival he cancelled before he pulled his finger out mind - might have to begrudgingly try and get a day ticket for Lovebox from somewhere.

I've seen quite a few parklife Sunday tickets going on twickets if that's any good.

He can't carry on getting big bookings much longer though surely? He's a complete flake.

Went on his setlist.fm and counted 37(?) live shows ever, not sure he even turned up for all those. He's been active since 2011!

I expect him to go missing again for a couple of years at least after this tour cycle.

Looks like tonights performance is definitely going ahead then which is good news for you Parklife people. Gutted after having gone to Primavera last week, but excited to see the setlist/videos of the performance nonetheless.

Also curious to see this amazing stage setup he has that caused him to cancel the previous shows.

Edited by FloorFiller

56 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Also curious to see this amazing stage setup he has that caused him to cancel the previous shows.

I am curious what the reason is for him to keep dropping out of these shows, stage setup just doesn't seem believable at all. You'd think that festivals in the US are more important to him than Parklife. I saw that he was out shopping with Kendall Jenner the day that he was supposed to be headlining Primavera.

1 minute ago, rhg_99 said:

I saw that he was out shopping with Kendall Jenner the day that he was supposed to be headlining Primavera.

Yep I saw that and it pissed me off immensely. His stage show better involve some kind of floating platform and dancing robotic bears otherwise it really seems like he just couldn't be arsed.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep I saw that and it pissed me off immensely. His stage show better involve some kind of floating platform and dancing robotic bears otherwise it really seems like he just couldn't be arsed.

felt sorry for you FF as I go on the Primavera thread fairly regularly and saw how excited you and lots of others were for him. Can't imagine how annoyed I would have been last year had Radiohead or LCD Soundsystem cancelled. Definitely made me lose a lot of respect for him with the amount of shows he's cancelled but it will be very interesting to see what these remaining shows are gonna be like.

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I got a Sunday ticket just to see frank lol 

also went primavera so if he cancels ...

Well shit he's actually playing. Watched a bit of a live stream before deciding I was torturing myself and turning it off. Not sure how it's gonna go down at Parklife - very downbeat and very new material focused so far (in fact where I'd gotten up to there was nothing pre-2016). Probably/hopefully holding off the bangers for later in the set.

I saw Frank Ocean in 2013 in Paris. Weird gig. He sounded awesome as did his band, but there was something lacking. There was nothing going on onstage. Just a still band and him walking around. The crowd was shit. It was a sea of cellphones and girls screaming. 

There is surely a reason why doesn't play much live and all these cancelled gigs. There's nothing official on youtube as well for live performances. Only SNL.

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well shit he's actually playing. Watched a bit of a live stream before deciding I was torturing myself and turning it off. Not sure how it's gonna go down at Parklife - very downbeat and very new material focused so far (in fact where I'd gotten up to there was nothing pre-2016). Probably/hopefully holding off the bangers for later in the set.

Thinkin Bout You and Pyramids towards the end. He'll bomb at Parklife unless he switches it up big time. 

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I read a tweet from a Danish journo the other day that wasn't the nature of the stage show that was causing him to cancel- it was that his kit had 'gone missing'. 

Turned up in Denmark, evidently... 

2 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

I read a tweet from a Danish journo the other day that wasn't the nature of the stage show that was causing him to cancel- it was that his kit had 'gone missing'. 

Turned up in Denmark, evidently... 

Artists must be allowed to choose. Annoying though.

10 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Thinkin Bout You and Pyramids towards the end. He'll bomb at Parklife unless he switches it up big time. 

Yeah that is gonna go down awfully at Parklife. I thought it'd be new album heavy but just two songs from Channel Orange is a bold move and playing a fair few from Endless will surely have people looking at their watches. Look forward to feedback from people going. No Sweet Life is unforgivable.

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah that is gonna go down awfully at Parklife. I thought it'd be new album heavy but just two songs from Channel Orange is a bold move and playing a fair few from Endless will surely have people looking at their watches. Look forward to feedback from people going. No Sweet Life is unforgivable.

I honestly thought Endless was him taking the piss to get out of his old recording contract so I'm surprised he's acknowledging that at all. I am though pleased, for the sake of the crowd, that he's including Self Control. One of the few easily-accessible moments from Blonde.