Will you be returning next year?

PurpleFire

Will you return to Glastonbury Festival in 2017  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Will you return to Glastonbury Festival (Tickets Aside) in 2017?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Welcome back. You've been sorely missed. Fallow year now looking like 2019 though, during which they wanna do something somewhere else. Was looking like longleat but the bigwigs rocked up this year, saw the carnage in the mud, the traffic and the mess and apparently now not so keen. 

Cheers Scruffy :) Nick Cave album out in a couple of months so you can expect my attendance to slowly ramp up pre-ticket day.

Gutted to hear it might be the 2nd though :( I'm at a wedding the Thursday before...

I did hear the news about Longleat. I'd be interested in giving an alternative location a go, to be honest, but I think I would have to look at it like an entirely different festival rather than as Glastonbury transferred. It could be interesting. 

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Afternoon all and welcome back :) It's quite nice to feel back in the same boat as you all again i.e. ticketless for the next festival and hopeful!

I've read this thread with a lot of interest. It always fascinates me how different people's responses can be to the same festival in terms of weather experiences, travel issues, crowding, the naughty corner, general crowd vibe etc... also how swiftly people can go from a "never again" to a "yes, count me in"! To be honest, though, nothing really shocked me beyond the pro-Ukip chanting mentioned some pages back...

This was the first year I've missed of Glastonbury since my first in 2008. I seriously caught the bug then and thought I'd never miss a year. But it's got harder and harder to get a ticket (although not impossible, by any means, especially if you're willing to wait until late in the day). In 2014 I held out to the resale, getting a volunteering place as a back-up that I then let go. Last year, though, I was devastated when missing out again and just didn't feel I could put myself through that winter-long wait. There are other festivals out there and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to try them. I also reasoned that I'd have to break my run at some point, so why not now?

That's not to say it was easy. I was in bits after both the coach and normal ticket days and I went back and forth on my decision multiple times before eventually giving the resale a miss. By then I had booked ATP and Blue Dot so I just couldn't justify the expense, especially with my work situation being a bit up in the air. I can't pretend I didn't have the odd twinge since then, but largely I've managed to avoid thinking about it. I've rarely clicked on many threads in Efests (used to be a regular), we went to Spain on the weekend in question - and then all the Brexit fallout kept me pretty preoccupied. The other day I even managed to watch a couple of performances on player (not LCD though, now going to Lovebox so will save myself for that!). 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was surprised, pleased and relieved to discover emotionally something that I already knew intellectually: that missing one isn't the end of the world. Perhaps it's good to have a break sometimes - and, given the weather, I think I picked a good year! I would have got on with it, of course, but I'd always prefer a dry year (my worst is 2011 so I've not had too many wet ones).  The line-up also didn't bowl me over this year (I know that's not everything - and I would actually like to go in a year when there's not much I want to see on the main stages). So I suppose what I'm saying is that if I had to miss a year (and in some ways I did) then this was probably the right one.

Things like the naughty corner being overcrowded I can totally relate to, but I rarely go there now anyway. I've never really found it enjoyable. Particularly in the mud. And the travel issues merely confirm my desire to only go by coach (I know people still got stuck in traffic for ages, but at least there wasn't that walk from the car park...)

I suppose at the end of the day it's about that balance between being hard work and good fun. If you still find it largely good fun, despite some hardships, then you're winning. Once the effort outweighs the enjoyment, perhaps time for a break. 

The way I've done the festival has changed a lot in the seven years I've gone. I do different things, camp with different people, camp in a different place... For a few years I was always trying to create the magic of 2010 - for me this was a perfect year - but last year I went with a partner for the first time and took a very different approach to things. I really enjoyed it and I'm really keen to go back and try this again. 

So there is life after Glasto, it turns out! I'm excited that this year's big festival still lies ahead of me and I'm excited to try some new ones. Glastonbury is a big beast and it's meant in the past that I can't try loads of others I'd like to give a go. Latitude and Green Man still appeal for the future. When I didn't get a ticket last October, I said that I'd try every year in the main sale and let that decided whether I go or not. I'd never rule out the pull of the resale though.

So, yes, I will be trying next year. The prospect of Radiohead and the likelihood of 2018 being fallow (is this still correct?) further spur me on. I don't know how many of my original group will be in, but me and my boyfriend will be (hopefully). It's good for me, though, to know that I can cope with missing one - and cope quite well! It's so popular now that I wonder if everyone should take a year out in rotation now and again (this will be unpopular, I know!).

Interesting to see how the weather/line-up impacts on ticket day 2017...

Sorry for rambling and glad you all (on the whole) had a good one xx

Yep, much as I had a superb time, if I had to erase a festival from existence it would be this year's. So you picked a good year to miss for sure.

All the fun I had was because of the group I was with rather than anything the festival did. I rather suspect I'd have had exactly the same amount of enjoyment at a number of other festivals, provided I was with the same people.

It's still my favourite festival because of the scale of it, but I didnt feel much of the "magic" this year. I cant blame the weather because 2007 was one of the most special festivals I can remember.

Will I try for next year? Yes. Will I be devastated if I have to go to somewhere like portugal to get my festival fix? Not really. Does a part of me hope I fail to get a ticket? Maybe.

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Cheers Scruffy :) Nick Cave album out in a couple of months so you can expect my attendance to slowly ramp up pre-ticket day.

Gutted to hear it might be the 2nd though :( I'm at a wedding the Thursday before...

I did hear the news about Longleat. I'd be interested in giving an alternative location a go, to be honest, but I think I would have to look at it like an entirely different festival rather than as Glastonbury transferred. It could be interesting. 

£17.50 my cave ticket cost! Cos it's at one of those fancy picturehouse cinemas. Was a fiver cheaper at the crappy odeons.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's weird though how it's always different for everyone. Out of the eight I've been to only 07 and 13 beat this year for me. And if 07 hadn't been my first i reckon this year would be above that. 

Agree with this. All my nightmare stories about mud are from 2007 - but still my happiest memories of recent festivals

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can see your point but when you're paying a fiver a pint cos you can't take your booze into the arena you may be thinking different. 

Things we take for granted yeah. Queuing for ages too elsewhere. The queues I experienced at The Roses in Heaton Park for example. An exception granted but no thanks. 

My 10th Glasto this year and right up there with the best. 

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can see your point but when you're paying a fiver a pint cos you can't take your booze into the arena you may be thinking different. 

well I'm going to latitude for the day on saturday, that's got an arena, but I assure you I will have a bottle of vodka in my hand!

but I agree with you. Being able to have my own booze with me is one of the major reasons I love it. That's quite sad really.

13 minutes ago, russycarps said:

well I'm going to latitude for the day on saturday, that's got an arena, but I assure you I will have a bottle of vodka in my hand!

but I agree with you. Being able to have my own booze with me is one of the major reasons I love it. That's quite sad really.

Not that sad really. I think being able to have your own booze is a part of the whole feeling of freedom Glastonbury gives you which no other festival can.

48 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Does a part of me hope I fail to get a ticket? Maybe.

This is an interesting point. At present I very much feel the opposite. If I'm honest I'm really not that arsed that about going next year, this year was a struggle for a number of reasons - both environmental and personal - and at the moment I feel like I need a year or two off to recharge my enthusiasm and to actually miss the place again. Felt like I attended this year out of a sense of duty rather than anything else.

That all said I will still be trying like mad come ticket day because if I do choose not to go I want it to be my choice rather than having the decision made for me due to not getting a ticket.

Edited by Hugh Jass

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Yep, much as I had a superb time, if I had to erase a festival from existence it would be this year's. So you picked a good year to miss for sure.

All the fun I had was because of the group I was with rather than anything the festival did. I rather suspect I'd have had exactly the same amount of enjoyment at a number of other festivals, provided I was with the same people.

It's still my favourite festival because of the scale of it, but I didnt feel much of the "magic" this year. I cant blame the weather because 2007 was one of the most special festivals I can remember.

Will I try for next year? Yes. Will I be devastated if I have to go to somewhere like portugal to get my festival fix? Not really. Does a part of me hope I fail to get a ticket? Maybe.

Good to hear. And I do know what you mean. Now I know I *can* miss a year, I feel like that devastation I've felt for the last two ticket days might not be so bad. I didn't enjoy waiting for the resale date and pinning all my hopes on that one thing. Making other plans has something to be said for it. 

£17.50 my cave ticket cost! Cos it's at one of those fancy picturehouse cinemas. Was a fiver cheaper at the crappy odeons.

We're going to the Barbican - was slightly better at £15. Looking forward to it anyway.

Very jealous that you'll be seeing The National! I've plumped for LCD at Lovebox instead...

53 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

This is an interesting point. At present I very much feel the opposite. If I'm honest I'm really not that arsed that about going next year, this year was a struggle for a number of reasons - both environmental and personal - and at the moment I feel like I need a year or two off to recharge my enthusiasm and to actually miss the place again. Felt like I attended this year out of a sense of duty rather than anything else.

That all said I will still be trying like mad come ticket day because if I do choose not to go I want it to be my choice rather than having the decision made for me due to not getting a ticket.

See, this is interesting. I feel the opposite - that if the decision is made for me by "fate" or the "ticket gods" then it's out of my hands somehow. That idea of feeling like you attend out of a sense of duty is interesting. Deciding not to try the resale was an interesting moment for me as it made me really assess how much I actually wanted to go, as opposed to just going because it was something that I do. 

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Good to hear. And I do know what you mean. Now I know I *can* miss a year, I feel like that devastation I've felt for the last two ticket days might not be so bad. I didn't enjoy waiting for the resale date and pinning all my hopes on that one thing. Making other plans has something to be said for it. 

We're going to the Barbican - was slightly better at £15. Looking forward to it anyway.

Very jealous that you'll be seeing The National! I've plumped for LCD at Lovebox instead...

See, this is interesting. I feel the opposite - that if the decision is made for me by "fate" or the "ticket gods" then it's out of my hands somehow. That idea of feeling like you attend out of a sense of duty is interesting. Deciding not to try the resale was an interesting moment for me as it made me really assess how much I actually wanted to go, as opposed to just going because it was something that I do. 

It'll soon be time to resurrect the cave thread. Good times.

I'm no fan at all of LCD, but I can report they were absolutely brill at glastonbury so you might just have made the right choice there. Easily the highlight of the weekend. A sensational end to the festival!

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

It'll soon be time to resurrect the cave thread. Good times.

I'm no fan at all of LCD, but I can report they were absolutely brill at glastonbury so you might just have made the right choice there. Easily the highlight of the weekend. A sensational end to the festival!

Well it was a tough one, but I've seen The National a lot in recent times and this could be my only opportunity to see LCD... plus it's a tube journey rather than however the hell I'd get to Latitude. 

I'll definitely trying for tickets next year. It's so weird how people react so differently to the weather/mud. I personally had a great year, this year. It was onne of my favourites for sure. Mud didn't get me down at all, although I did find I was drinking a hell of a lot more than usual so I didn't seem to notice it too much. Some of my mates on the other hand really couldn't hack the mud - I'm hoping more people think like them though, will definitely make October easier :P

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the festival and all it stands for. But there is a lingering sense that I go simply because it's what I do. I have been incredibly fortunate in that ever since I started going in 2004 I have never missed out once for tickets (only year I didn't go was 08 and even then I chose not to go late when tickets were plentiful) so I've never really had to experience missing out or consider what it means. Maybe I take it all for granted now. Maybe a year off would be best for me.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the festival and all it stands for. But there is a lingering sense that I go simply because it's what I do. I have been incredibly fortunate in that ever since I started going in 2004 I have never missed out once for tickets (only year I didn't go was 08 and even then I chose not to go late when tickets were plentiful) so I've never really had to experience missing out or consider what it means. Maybe I take it all for granted now. Maybe a year off would be best for me.

Oh no, I understand what you meant. But I also understand that feeling. It's definitely made me reassess and I think I'll appreciate it all the more for taking a year (hopefully just the one!) out. 

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh no, I understand what you meant. But I also understand that feeling. It's definitely made me reassess and I think I'll appreciate it all the more for taking a year (hopefully just the one!) out. 

I just know that the year I take off will be the one that Eavis convinces The Smiths and Led Zep to both reform and finally books Radiohead.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I just know that the year I take off will be the one that Eavis convinces The Smiths and Led Zep to both reform and finally books Radiohead.

In the last few years we've gone from 'every year' to 'every other year' - mainly due to family/money. What I will say is once you come to terms with it missing one isn't toooooooo bad. But the fact this year the headliners didn't do much for me does make me fear next year will be ones who I don't want to miss (RH), now that, would be bloody typical. However, still grateful we made it the year of the Stones.

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Really understand your views, I was edging towards this opinion but have tried to banish the thought, main motivation is the (over-optimistic) desire not to miss a sunny, dry Glastonbury. Which is 2017, of course!

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

ever since I started going in 2004 I have never missed out once for tickets (only year I didn't go was 08 and even then I chose not to go late when tickets were plentiful) 

Exact same as me and didn't miss it that year. Mainly due to going to another festival. But I'd much rather be anywhere in Glasto sipping a beer and doing nothing as opposed to watching it on the telly. 

I agree with you Scruff  - the first time you fail in the main sale. I would have moved heaven and earth to get there in 2014. The second failure...maybe that's different. Having been through the resale wait once I didn't fancy it again. Plenty here do though. 

4 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I know this is easy for me to say as not yet had to rely on resale - it's surely gonna happen soon - but I just can't see me not trying if that does happen.