True Blues Music

JanieM28

My husband is a proper blues fan and has not been particularly impressed by the line-up so far. In the Sixties he was heavily into the likes of Muddy Waters, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson etc.

As far as he's concerned the 'real' Fleetwood Mac is way before theRumours album! Peter Green is a favourite and I am very partial to Gary Moore and Joe Bonamassa/Beth Hart myself. Shame so many of the above are dead!

Of  the up-and-coming younger blues musicians, he cites Oli Brown, Ainsley Lister, Marcus Bonafante and suchlike. We like St Paul and the Broken Bones too.

I suppose what I'm asking is whether there is anyone unknown to him on BSR's current playlist of that genre who is worth exploring. Any takers?

Used to be a brilliant Blues place at Glastonbury a few years back, seem to think it was only open for two years before it vanished, I'm with your husband on that list, as you say shame they are all gone, I've looked through the line up list and can see no blues on it at all,  which is a big shame, there are some good blues bands etc out there, but seems Glastonbury are not interested, ok they did have BB King a few years back, and Buddy Guy, King was good, but Buddy Guy a bit of a let down. This year I will probably stay away from main stages, except for ELO, you can always find some good stuff smaller stages. Besides Glastonbury there  is a lack of Blues festivals in the UK

Your list of favourites would closely resemble mine (and Mr Mandolin's).  We really enjoyed John Fairhurst last year - might be a bit "rockier" than most on your list but you can definitely hear a major blues influence in there.  I think he's playing a few different places over the course of the festival.  Unfortunately, Eric Bibb confirmed that he won't be at the festival this year though promised me that he would be back next year (he may have had his fingers crossed as he said it, I was being a bit drunken fan-girlish).   

5 minutes ago, denwyn said:

Used to be a brilliant Blues place at Glastonbury a few years back, seem to think it was only open for two years before it vanished, I'm with your husband on that list, as you say shame they are all gone, I've looked through the line up list and can see no blues on it at all,  which is a big shame, there are some good blues bands etc out there, but seems Glastonbury are not interested, ok they did have BB King a few years back, and Buddy Guy, King was good, but Buddy Guy a bit of a let down. This year I will probably stay away from main stages, except for ELO, you can always find some good stuff smaller stages. Besides Glastonbury there  is a lack of Blues festivals in the UK

That was Bourbon street in 2010 and 2011, it was a very good venue. My brother in law is blues mad and would spend most of the weekend there. I joined him for a couple of sets:  Ainsley Lister and The Orbitsuns who both were very good. 

27 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

Joanne Shaw Taylor!

Yes - he's seen her before and thinks she fantastic. She's on my go-see list, as a result.

11 minutes ago, madtanz said:

That was Bourbon street in 2010 and 2011, it was a very good venue. My brother in law is blues mad and would spend most of the weekend there. I joined him for a couple of sets:  Ainsley Lister and The Orbitsuns who both were very good. 

We were both utterly dismayed when Bourbon Street disappeared - it was one of our favourite venues in 2010 and 2011 and we felt extremely miffed when it wasn't there in 2013.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding John  Fairhust - keep 'em coming.

24 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:e

Thanks for the suggestions regarding John  Fairhust - keep 'em coming.

JF is playing more than once. Last year saw him in green fields playing solo acoustic, and in the Glade with an electric band which was blues rock

I'd definitely second John Fairhurst and Ben Miller Band, and I'd add Blackberry Smoke, a slightly different flavour but could be up your street too. Avalon seems to be the place for blues and bluesy Americana. Of course, there's ZZ Top on Friday!

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Looking forward to more tomorrow!

John Fairhurst is now definitely on the must-see list - he's fabulous and right up our street.

Can definitely hear the Seastick Steve vibe with the Ben Miller Band too, although there's a bit of country in it (which we like too).

Personally, I didn't take much to Blackberry Smoke although my husband thought they weren't bad. 

And, as for ZZ Top, of course we're going to see them!!!

We were introduced to their music in the very early Eighties when we were young and broke and went on holiday to the Lake District and picked up a delightful American backpacker called Chris who was hitch-hiking his way around the UK.

He and my husband talked non-stop about music all the way up there while listening to cassette tapes (I fell asleep in the back) and we liked him so much we invited him to stay with us in the flat we had been lent by an elderly aunt. Better than a youth hostel! After a couple of days he went off to explore Scotland. 

Anyway, six weeks later he knocked on our door when we were back at home near Salisbury and stayed another couple of days while my husband introduced him to all the blues on vinyl that he'd been collecting since he was about 13 years old.

Three weeks later, a little parcel of cassette tapes arrived from the United States - all ZZ Top!

We always think of that guy whenever we hear them and will, no doubt, be raising a glass in Chris's honour while watching them...

Roll on for the full line-up announcement tomorrow!

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Fishman said:

Attention London-types ....

Ben Miller Band are playing the Blues kitchen in Camden on Tuesday - a freebie!!

http://theblueskitchen.com/camden/whats-on/ben-miller-band/

See you there ....

Shame there aren't any other dates while they are in the country. Absolutely loved them at Glastonbury.