Lineup 2018

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah I was thinking about Manson, given the previous metal bands they've booked it seems like the natural next step

I think ADTR should sub, wouldn't want to devalue em so they can headline download next. Just reminded me, no idea why every rock band in existence has to completely abandon what made them big in the first place to go all out pop, then ADTR make a monster of a heavy album and are now bigger than all of them. 

Agree whole heartedly on ADTR. I think they will absolutely headline Download the next time they play. They should sub R&L too. They've got to be the size they are by continuing to be ADTR which is so awesome. I put Shikari in with that to. They've reached arena status by never compromising who they are. 

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Marilyn Manson had posters plastered all around the arena this year at Leeds. Would him headlining the NME one night be that shocking after having Limp Bizkit and KoRn play big slots in recent years? 

Yeah it'd be no weirder than FFDP the other year and is a p logical step after Korn. Maybe not quite as suitable as Korn but certainly not a million miles away.

41 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Damn is every argument for/against acts playing gonna be about what school leavers think? :lol: Why do they even have bars at this festival???

I dunno I wouldn't really consider it for any other but R+L has always seemed like baby's first festival to me. At least at my school the large majority of people went after GCSE's had finished and for the next couple of years.

Would love to see ADTR tho I think if they're gonna do R+L it would be off the back of a new album no? (which I wouldn't expect till 2019)

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno I wouldn't really consider it for any other but R+L has always seemed like baby's first festival to me. At least at my school the large majority of people went after GCSE's had finished and for the next couple of years.

Did they go cos the line up was banging and rinsed with acts that 16 year olds like, or cos everyone else was off?

edit: also Boomtown is the place to be for teenagers nowadays and look at that line up holy shit

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Yeah it'd be no weirder than FFDP the other year and is a p logical step after Korn. Maybe not quite as suitable as Korn but certainly not a million miles away.

Korn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones - clearly a theme there

I think he'd go down well, everyone knows who and what he is, more so than Korn, and must be a big starter act for teenagers getting into rock/ metal

Edited by Steve1000

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Korn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones - clearly a theme there

I think he'd go down well, everyone knows who and what he is, more so than Korn, and must be a big starter act for teenagers getting into rock/ metal

Yeah he'd also probably go down much better than ATDI who've headlined NME and played 4th down main in the last 5 years.

8 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Would love to see ADTR tho I think if they're gonna do R+L it would be off the back of a new album no? (which I wouldn't expect till 2019)

Nah don't think so, can easily get more out of the current album tour - then drop new one and headline download. Think they could headline here album after that aswell

12 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Nah don't think so, can easily get more out of the current album tour - then drop new one and headline download. Think they could headline here album after that aswell

I reckon they could sub someone like Foos who won't need much of a hand shifting tickets. Not that I expect them to turn up this year.

I'd like to think MGMT are in with a shout of headlining the NME. They're probably on a similar level to HAIM for example? And surely a bigger deal than Friendly Fires who have been suggested.

Anyway, new single incoming from them after 4 years since their last album (which was awful after two pretty much perfect ones) so we'll see how that goes down. Really excited to hear it as I've read good things from people who have heard some of their new material live in America over the summer.

12 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I'd like to think MGMT are in with a shout of headlining the NME. They're probably on a similar level to HAIM for example? And surely a bigger deal than Friendly Fires who have been suggested.

Anyway, new single incoming from them after 4 years since their last album (which was awful after two pretty much perfect ones) so we'll see how that goes down. Really excited to hear it as I've read good things from people who have heard some of their new material live in America over the summer.

I dunno, they have cult appeal nowadays but to most of the world they're the ones that released Time to Pretend, Kids and Electric Feel a decade ago. Friendly Fires are a fair comparison because they're similarly dated as a mainstream concern but I guess them being British and having history with R+L works enough, however there's no contest with HAIM.

Most importantly of all tho: if you would like to fully enjoy the phenomenal tracks on the 2nd and 3rd albums (yes there are some!) or even the album tracks on OS then you do not want to see them at R+L. The crowd will be talking and pissing about like there wasn't anyone on stage and it'll crush your soul.

Hope some tour dates come out tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Agree whole heartedly on ADTR. I think they will absolutely headline Download the next time they play. They should sub R&L too. They've got to be the size they are by continuing to be ADTR which is so awesome. I put Shikari in with that to. They've reached arena status by never compromising who they are. 

Interesting that you're saying that,haven't heard the full albums but the latest tracks by both Shikari and ADTR sound like their popiest and most commercial singles yet so put me off a bit ('We got this' and 'live outside')

will have a listen to both albums if that's not the case

48 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Interesting that you're saying that,haven't heard the full albums but the latest tracks by both Shikari and ADTR sound like their popiest and most commercial singles yet so put me off a bit ('We got this' and 'live outside')

The Spark is definitely a new type of sound for Shikari but I'd be surprised if they don't return to their heavier/electronic side in upcoming albums.

I'm a huge fan of the guys and would love to see them headline NME. They are getting bigger i believe and are already doing a second ally pally gig (unsure on ticket sales this time round though).

I have no clue on how well tickets are selling, as a fan i hope it's good.. I'm going to the Ally Pally gig in November so I guess i'll see for myself how busy it is! 

Either way it'll be a quality show, they do know how to perform live for sure.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I dunno, they have cult appeal nowadays but to most of the world they're the ones that released Time to Pretend, Kids and Electric Feel a decade ago. Friendly Fires are a fair comparison because they're similarly dated as a mainstream concern but I guess them being British and having history with R+L works enough, however there's no contest with HAIM.

Most importantly of all tho: if you would like to fully enjoy the phenomenal tracks on the 2nd and 3rd albums (yes there are some!) or even the album tracks on OS then you do not want to see them at R+L. The crowd will be talking and pissing about like there wasn't anyone on stage and it'll crush your soul.

Hope some tour dates come out tomorrow.

Yeah I guess, but they headlined the John Peel stage at Glasto on the last tour so if they can maintain that level then I think that's about where HAIM would be. But 4 years is obv a long time and Glasto has a different audience so it's hard to judge.

That's true about the crowd but I'd be right near the front of the tent and very drunk so I think I wouldn't mind too much. And there's more than "some" phenomenal tracks on Congratulations imo, it's a better album than Oracular Spectacular. One of my all time favourites. To be fair I've been a bit harsh on the self titled calling it awful, it's just that run from Your Life Is A Lie through to I Love You Too Death that is crap.

Tour dates would be very welcome and I'd be interested to see the venues they're playing. Probably likely for the Albert Hall in Manchester.

3 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

We Got This is no lighter than a number of ADTR's more Pop Punk centred songs like It's Complicated, City of Ocala or All Signs Point To Lauderdale. Bad Vibrations has some of their heaviest tracks on there, you should check out the title track, Exposed and Reassemble :) 

As for Shikari, The Spark seems like the natural successor to A Flash Flood of Colour to me instead of The Mindsweep, which is their most expansive album (and the one that I think is their best). I'd recommend trying Take My Country Back, Airfield and Undercover Agents from The Spark to see what you think. 

• Upvote 1

Are the prodigy likely to appear next year? They are doing a small tour at the end of this year with new material so it makes them likely? Not got a clue where they would fit on the line up they wouldn't be a bad option to co headline with royal blood but don't really know if they have fallen off over the years so would be as low as an NME headliner???

Edited by Paulmcm1998
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Are the prodigy likely to appear next year? They are doing a small tour at the end of this year with new material so they does make them likely. Not got a clue where they would fit on the line up they wouldn't be a bad option to co headline with royal blood but don't really know if they have fallen off over the years so would be as low as an NME headliner???

The Prodigy headlining the NME would be beyond dangerous. 

1 hour ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

It'd be absolute carnage they are amazing live so I don't know why they haven't played R&L in so long 

1 hour ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

It'd be absolute carnage they are amazing live so I don't know why they haven't played R&L in so long 

Yeah, seeing as many feel that they are the perfect festival band I'm amazed I havent seen them at a festival since 2009 despite going to Reading,Download and Glstonbury every year. ( saying that,they played Download in about 2012 and i didnt watch them so my own fault)

saw them in Rivermeade in Reading about two or three years ago on their tour though, still fantastic

Think Prodigy would be a strong sub but I think there must be another reason why they haven't been booked (would be an amazing show tho).

Side note I'm kinda digging the new Tonight Alive single, much better than World Away. Wonder how they'll do if they play considering they lost a member.

Edited by Mattymooz