The Avalanches

defrio29

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If it happens, I'm there. Absolutely must see. Were they any good live though?

I saw them at V fest in (I think 2001) .... it was jaw-dropping stuff, truly fantastic, one of the best things I've ever seen.

However .... I know from reading wiki now and then that there's only one or two of the same people involved as back then, so they might not have the same very-high talent in the band members as they had back then (enough for them to all swap instruments to do a song or two). I know they don't have DJ Dexter involved now, for example.

I should have seen them twice as they played Creamfields the week after V and I went to see them - but during the week they'd pushed one of them off-stage during the set and he'd broken his arm or leg or something, and so we only got a DJ set ... which itself was as stunning as it gets (Too Many DJs had nothing on these guys!), but wasn't the same as the live act.

They're not the same people, but if it gets close to what I saw it'll be superb.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit, this is amazing. Hate that I live up North and so all these festivals are a pain in the arse for me. What with the Australian dates just before Glastonbury it doesn't look very likely they'd be there, but I'm just glad they're back again. God I hope the new album'a good

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Holy shit, this is amazing. Hate that I live up North and so all these festivals are a pain in the arse for me. What with the Australian dates just before Glastonbury it doesn't look very likely they'd be there, but I'm just glad they're back again. God I hope the new album'a good

Have they actually announced a new album? I thought it was impossible for them with sampling rules these days...unless they go for a new sound, of course (or have an army of legal people getting all the samples cleared!).

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The Aussie dates are a month after Glastonbury. There's definitely a Glasto-shaped hole (TM) in those dates, and there's got to be more to come. Surely they aren't only playing 3 festivals. And Field Day aren't claiming any kind of exclusive...

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

there's only two originals.

Whether they can pull off the same utterly mental live sets without Dexter we've yet to see.

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The Aussie dates are a month after Glastonbury. There's definitely a Glasto-shaped hole (TM) in those dates, and there's got to be more to come. Surely they aren't only playing 3 festivals. And Field Day aren't claiming any kind of exclusive...

Oops read them as June and not July. Are field day usually ones to claim exclusives if they can? Fuck, this would be incredible 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's only two originals.

Whether they can pull off the same utterly mental live sets without Dexter we've yet to see.

Aye I have no idea what this current lineup will be like so it's pretty interesting. Just hope they still have the same magic from way back when. 16 years is an insane amount of time between your first and second albums. What the fuck have they been doing?!

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Oops read them as June and not July. Are field day usually ones to claim exclusives if they can? Fuck, this would be incredible 

Aye I have no idea what this current lineup will be like so it's pretty interesting. Just hope they still have the same magic from way back when. 16 years is an insane amount of time between your first and second albums. What the fuck have they been doing?!

mostly getting clearance for samples, I guess ... it took years to clear the first album for release, and it's probably the case that they didn't get clearance for everything and snuck a few bits thru on the quiet.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Girl Talk manages to still produce sample based music, though maybe he gets around clearance issues by releasing it all for free.

He's great, and it's fascinating that no-one's ever complained. There would definitely be arguments over the limits of 'fair use' in copyright law, but the 'free' thing wouldn't get him off the hook, but in any event his albums are 'pay what you like', and he definitely profits from them indirectly if not directly. Although it seems no big music website will take the risk of selling his tracks.

The Avalanches are already famous enough that I reckon they'd be taken straight to court. Even though the evidence is that being sampled increases your own record sales.

4 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Agreed! Glastonbury don't really do 'WOW' acts. When did they last get one? Radiohead '11?

Bollocks.. From 2015 alone:

Libertines as an unnanounced sub?

Kanye West?

Mothership Returns?

Some or all of them may not be to your taste.. But trying to be as neutral as I can about it, I'd say all of the above have a far better claim to being "wow" acts than Radiohead 11 especially as Thom and Johnny are at the Festival in some form nearly every year and had played the exact same slot the year before.

14 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Where would they even play if they got booked? Silver Hayes probably would be the most likely but might not be big enough, quite a few other stages would be too small, you can't see them doing Pyramid or Other. West Holts would be the right size but DJ sets are definitely not in keeping with that stage. 

are they only doing DJ sets then?

When I saw them 15 years ago, there was a 'band' of drums bassist & keys with 2 guys on decks too (who perhaps did other things too, I forget).

While much of it was coming from the DJs, the 'band' were a necessary part of it.

Edited by eFestivals