I know there's no substitute for Glastonbury, but.....

DaveyGee

Ok, so now the Glasto activity is intensifying and should the unthinkable actually happen with not acquiring a ticket in the re-sale or secret sales, what are your thoughts on an (dare I say it) alternative festival that could offer at least a little something similar. Obviously nothing will come close to the sheer size, diversity and spiritual experience, but i need some kind of release!

I am still a newbie compared to a lot of efesters who are hardened veterans, but I don't think one day has passed without me thinking and longing to be back at that those lovely fields. My friends say there are other festivals, but they haven't experienced it. I've even resorted to listening to a lot of Ibiza chill out tunes to try and recreate that unique vibe :) and this is from someone who only went for the first time last year!

How is the Secret Garden Party???  Any advice is gratefully received.

Dave

The question to ask yourself as ever when this comes up is which aspects of Glastonbury are you looking to find in another festival. Actually the better question is - which areas do you like the most in Glastonbury?

There is no festival quite like Glastonbury, but many festivals are quite similar to some of Glastonbury's areas, often like expanded versions of Glasto's parts.

I'm not talking from experience and obviously none of this is precisely true, but End Of The Road is like The Park. Boomtown is like the SE Corner but more so and Latitude has far more comedy + spoken word that you'll find in the cabaret tent.

So which bits and which places do you like at Glastonbury?

48 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The question to ask yourself as ever when this comes up is which aspects of Glastonbury are you looking to find in another festival. Actually the better question is - which areas do you like the most in Glastonbury?

There is no festival quite like Glastonbury, but many festivals are quite similar to some of Glastonbury's areas, often like expanded versions of Glasto's parts.

I'm not talking from experience and obviously none of this is precisely true, but End Of The Road is like The Park. Boomtown is like the SE Corner but more so and Latitude has far more comedy + spoken word that you'll find in the cabaret tent.

So which bits and which places do you like at Glastonbury?

Thanks for the advice S2H, I guess i never really thought of it in that way. I was looking at the whole package. Trouble is it's difficult when I enjoyed so much, Spiritulized @ The Park and then Chemical Brothers @ The Other, plus loads more....

Cheers

Dave

59 minutes ago, Lou1983 said:

Keep the faith Dave, your ahead of the rest just being here :-) 

Thanks Lou, I know you're right :)

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Boomtown is more like all of Glastonbury, but without the Pyramid, Other and JP tent - basically, without the dreadful mainstream stuff.

I highly recommend it.

Despite the drink limitations and rigorous security checks? Genuine question as I've been considering it for a while now...

22 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Despite the drink limitations and rigorous security checks? Genuine question as I've been considering it for a while now...

There is no doubt that there are quite a lot of police with dogs at the entrance during Thursday afternoon, although last year I wondered in with no one around at about 6.00pm.

Security can't be that tight though as once inside I don't think I've been to a festival with more drink and drugs being consumed.

20 hours ago, Lou1983 said:

Keep the faith Dave, your ahead of the rest just being here :-) 

Aaaah, I like reading posts like this.  This forum is a like a support group for the ticketless!

But I am looking at Ethnoport Poznan, should it all go wrong….

Edited by Watergirl

17 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Boomtown is more like all of Glastonbury, but without the Pyramid, Other and JP tent - basically, without the dreadful mainstream stuff.

I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I was looking at that one...just in case!

Hopefully I won't have to resort to this, but need a back up plan :)

It's certainly nice to see all the positive advise being dished out, but is that because it's Glasto folk :unsure:

They're such a nice bunch of people, especially here on Efestivals!!!!!!!

Gonna stay positive right until the end......

On 1 April 2016 at 0:16 PM, jackarmy said:

Secret Garden Party is worse for this than Boomtown. They both have Glastonbury elements.

Boomtown is a fairly decent size, lots of variety of music, the main stage is incredible. In comparison to Glastonbury it has the same crazy side.  Boomtown does wooded areas exceptionally well.   There is a hill of death. 

DaveyGee don't worry you'll be at Glastonbury. However I think Boomtown should be given a go at least once....maybe pencil it in for the next fallow year?

SGP is smaller, more of a friendly/loved up vibe (by day at least) with lots of fun and games. The art and creative stuff is fab.  Less big names on the line up. You can swim in the lake but do it early on as it looks manky by the Sunday. 

They have been my alternatives since 2010.....I can't wait till June!

My little sister has been to Boomtown and says it's really worth a visit.  Festival No 6 seems to be the new fave amongst my crowd, most of whom have also done Glasto at some point, so might have to give that a go next year (still keeping positive about getting Glasto tix for this year...).

5 hours ago, Miesh said:

Secret Garden Party is worse for this than Boomtown. They both have Glastonbury elements.

Boomtown is a fairly decent size, lots of variety of music, the main stage is incredible. In comparison to Glastonbury it has the same crazy side.  Boomtown does wooded areas exceptionally well.   There is a hill of death. 

DaveyGee don't worry you'll be at Glastonbury. However I think Boomtown should be given a go at least once....maybe pencil it in for the next fallow year?

SGP is smaller, more of a friendly/loved up vibe (by day at least) with lots of fun and games. The art and creative stuff is fab.  Less big names on the line up. You can swim in the lake but do it early on as it looks manky by the Sunday. 

They have been my alternatives since 2010.....I can't wait till June!

Thanks for the positiveness Miesh, I really hope so ;)

Also appreciate the feedback on SGP and Boomtown.