stopwn1981

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/25/bomb-attack-southern-germany

Scum. Germany feeling the brunt of it at the moment, outside a music festival this one. Hope those injured aren't too badly hurt. 

1. he was refused entry into the festival site.

2. he had known mental health problems, and is known to have tried to commit suicide twice previously both within the last month.

While it's not impossible for a loner to do the same in the UK, it's always been possible for a loner to do the same in the UK.

It's only terrorism if what happened in Germany scares you. Who's scared?

Has a terrorist motive been ruled out yet? My understanding is that for an act to be considered terrorism there must be an act of violence used in the pursuit of a political or social aim. What we know at this stage is that the perpetrator has previously been refused asylum in Germany, he may therefore have had a political aim.

In any case whatever the reasons are behind this attack or the other attacks that have been happening recently, whether terrorist in nature or not so, does somebody committing extreme violence to innocent people scare me? Of course it does.

35 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Has a terrorist motive been ruled out yet? My understanding is that for an act to be considered terrorism there must be an act of violence used in the pursuit of a political or social aim. What we know at this stage is that the perpetrator has previously been refused asylum in Germany, he may therefore have had a political aim.

In any case whatever the reasons are behind this attack or the other attacks that have been happening recently, whether terrorist in nature or not so, does somebody committing extreme violence to innocent people scare me? Of course it does.

you've just lost to the terrorists. ;)

The chances of it being you are incredibly small.

You've got a MUCH greater chance of being shot. Do you worry about being shot? Or do you think it's so unlikely to happen to you that you never worry about it?

Etc, etc, etc.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You've got a MUCH greater chance of being shot. Do you worry about being shot? Or do you think it's so unlikely to happen to you that you never worry about it?

Etc, etc, etc.

Oh don't get me wrong I appreciate the chances of myself being caught up in a similar incident are very remote, and I don't feel like I'm necessarily in any more immediate danger nor do I fear it any more so today than I did yesterday. 

But incidents like what are happening in Germany, France, Turkey, Iraq, America, all over the world (I'm not just referring to terrorist incidents here, I mean any incident where extreme violence causes harm to others) are fundamentally quite scary in nature, whether or not harm is being done to myself, or others. It's scary to think that there are people out there that think about carrying these incidents out, and it's scary to think that these people seem to be able to have the means to do so. More and more in Europe in recent times.

Of course it may just be another 'peak', for use of a better word, in these types of incidents. Let's hope so.

Edited by djdavejohnson

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Etc, etc, etc.

Ah now.  Being scared or worried is one thing; surely it's what impact it has on your life that is the key point?

I went out to Paris for the rugby in March, so the memory of the November attacks was still pretty fresh.  Was I worried?  Absolutely.  It was a high profile event with significant attendance both inside and outside the ground, and certainly a potential target for that kind of thing.

Did I go anyway?  Hell yes.  So I was worried, but it didn't stop me doing what I wanted to do.  Quark 1 ISIS 0 :)

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah now.  Being scared or worried is one thing; surely it's what impact it has on your life that is the key point?

I went out to Paris for the rugby in March, so the memory of the November attacks was still pretty fresh.  Was I worried?  Absolutely.  It was a high profile event with significant attendance both inside and outside the ground, and certainly a potential target for that kind of thing.

Did I go anyway?  Hell yes.  So I was worried, but it didn't stop me doing what I wanted to do.  Quark 1 ISIS 0 :)

and yet, I presume, you don't have similar worries about getting in a MUCH more dangerous car. I'd guess the danger of it doesn't enter your head.

Perspective. :)

Just now, eFestivals said:

and yet, I presume, you don't have similar worries about getting in a MUCH more dangerous car. I'd guess the danger of it doesn't enter your head.

Perspective. :)

Absolutely true.  Although with my driving...

I'm pretty sure we're on the same page here, just maybe someone who shall be nameless is prodding it with a stick a wee bit? ;)

So no, it doesn't.  In the same way that getting a train into London or going to a busy shopping centre doesn't, because those are things that we do all the time and that are such a part of the fabric of daily life that, well, it just is.

When you do something outside of your own daily norm, whether that be flying or holidaying or whatever, the risk becomes more pronounced in your own head because you're outside of your normal day to day environment. So naturally you evaluate risk a bit more, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

We're all gonna die!!

I'm going to leave this world as I came in.  Naked, screaming and being spanked upside down by a nurse.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

surely the prodding it with a stick is taking a random event and thinking it means that festivals are now at big risk...? :P

Check back smartypants, never mentioned festivals in my posts! Ha!#

My victories these days are so very small...:lol:

I tripped on a pothole whilst crossing the road today, fell over and then got hit by a bus. As I managed to crawl back to the kerb I then got bitten by a dog.

I complained to the dogs owner who swore at me and then beat me up.

On my way to hospital to get myself looked at I was involved in a  3 car accident caused by someone driving at twice the speed limit but it was OK as I had some nice salad leaves to nibble on...............

Edited by Nobody Interesting

I wonder if people share the same concerns with regard going to nightclubs or pubs, seeing as they've been targeted in terrorist attacks so often in the past.

Personally I'm of the school of thought that giving credence to the threat is giving power to those that threaten.  Fuck 'em.

Risk of death:

300,000,000/1 shark attack

300,000,000/1 fairground accident

250,000,000/1 falling coconut

11,000,000/1 plane crash

10,000,000/1 killed by lightning

10,000,000/1 killed by the escape of radiation from a nearby nuclear power station

9,300,000/1 dying in a terrorist attack

5,000,000/1 scalded by hot water

4,400,000/1 left-handed people killed using a right-handed product

3,500,000/1 dying of a snake bite

3,000,000/1 dying from food poisoning

2,300,000/1 dying from falling off a ladder

2,000,000/1 dying after falling out of bed

685,000/1 drowning in the bath

500,000/1 being killed in a train crash

43,500/1 being killed in an accident at work

8,000/1 killed in a road accident

5/1 dying from cancer

2.5/1 dying from a heart attack or stroke

1/1 Glastonbury terrorist - Don't buy that ticket in October! ;-)

Tbh I don't think you can compare the (mainly Irish) terrorism in the 80's and 90's to the current threat in relation to Glasto.

Highly highly unlikely that the IRA would have ever targetted Glasto.  It would have been political suicide for Sinn Fein.

A large group of Westerners, drinking alcohol and enjoying themselves, with blanket TV coverage?  Perfect target for ISIS supporters?

That said I wouldn't at all be surprised if people are vetted once we buy our tickets.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

...leading to an increased security detail the next time that Catfish and the Bottlemen play.

How unfortunate would it be if they didn't pass the vetting process and weren't allowed in to play?  Tragic...

2 hours ago, Teddington said:

That said I wouldn't at all be surprised if people are vetted once we buy our tickets.

By whom and how?  Are you proposing that ME shares information with MI5?  Hysterical nonsense, get a grip.  

More people go to premier league matches every weekend, buy oyster cards and many other supposedly 'high risk' activities (if you believe the media scare tactics) than attend Glastonbury (which has no more information than our name and address, which provides zero value in any vetting process).

33 minutes ago, Spindles said:

By whom and how?  Are you proposing that ME shares information with MI5?  Hysterical nonsense, get a grip.  

More people go to premier league matches every weekend, buy oyster cards and many other supposedly 'high risk' activities (if you believe the media scare tactics) than attend Glastonbury (which has no more information than our name and address, which provides zero value in any vetting process).

Firstly let me say I have no evidence to back this up at all.  It's pure speculation on my part.

That being said, given the nature of the photo/address required for entry, combined with the risk and consequences of an attack, it would make sense for vetting of some kind to take place.  *shrugs*.