Most overcrowded Stage?

dingbat2

Full of chairs right at the top near Brothers. Wasn't even that busy closer, you just couldn't get near.

Chairs...chairs everywhere.

There were some massive puddles as well, deep ones that created banks in the crowd. Invariably they were ringed by chairs with about 6 inches space between the occupants feet and it being ankle deep, said occupants seemed to be angry, selfish people who were doing their best to prevent anyone passing in front of them. We came in from by Avalon and from entering the field to trying to get anywhere you could even see was mental. The way the chair brigade defended their territory probably scarred my view of people with chairs forever.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Simon was one of the most overcrowded Pyramid sets a few years back on a hot and sunny Sunday afternoon - it was dangerous towards the back of the field trying to get across from one side to the other, Not helped by the chair brigade out in force, and the addition of thousands more people from the local area on the day. And he was shit

A few years ago when there was less going on on Thursday night, you used to get massive crowds outside the Queens Head stage. It used to be one of the few stages having mainstream acts playing on the Thursday so everyone headed to the same tent (Glasvegas I remember from one year when they were supposed to be the new big thing) Fortunately there are more stages playing on Thursdays now so no one stage gets quite as crowded

yeah that's gonna be insane, but i really really want to go so looks like i'll have to get there early

Yeah I really do as well, luckily if it isn't possible to get in or near the tent we have Nic Fanciulli and the Circoloco take over both close which will also be great.

The Thursday Queens head gig always ended up with the field getting closed, every time. Maximo Park in '09 was classic lunacy and it always felt like everyone in the place had come along as it was the only advertised entertainment in the programme that they'd heard of.

Do you get similar scenes now it's Williams Green on the Thursday or does having more acts over the day make it better?

Secret Pulp set at the Park, they ended up closing it off so noone else could get in! Crazy Scary

Was fortunately quite near the front for it so didn't really notice how busy it was behind me. Radiohead (was it the same year?) on the other hand though.... that was ridiculous, ended up giving up half way through the set.

Wasn't it the Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood gig that stopped the secret Park gigs due to crowd control?

That was the warning sign, but the following year Radiohead and Pulp were the killing blow. Radiohead in particular it was a drizzly evening, the Park was in a worse condition than I've ever seen and lots of people were arriving onto an ever slippier hill or fighting through the thick claggy mud below to a packed field. Pulp may have been even busier but the site had at least dried out a bit by then in the lovely sun.

@thatcrazypenguin, totally get you. Had many a similar experience, I suppose at least blankets aren't a menace if you trip and fall.

The problem with chairs as well is that people think that sitting back in the crowd isn't so bad, but that just makes the edge compression worse. Don't take them to gigs unless you can't get by without one for health reasons, I reckon...and be prepared to pack it down and hold it if it gets crowded.

Unless it is a band you must see, there's a lot to be said for choosing a more chilled out time at stages that usually have space (West Holts, Acoustic, Avalon) than being crushed in the JP tent or fighting through crowds for 45 mins to get a half decent spot at the Pyramid.

(Reading this, probably reflects my age, I used to be at the front of the Pyramid a few years back)

Yep, gave up trying to get into Park for Radiohead. Left it too late and it was stupidly busy, it felt dangerous and I'm not the most easily scared. Stonebridge for 2 bears was the worst I've seen at that bar, got shut down for a while. John Peel for (I think) Ting Tings a few years ago, couldn't even get into the field JP is in. (Just checked was Ting Tings 2008)

This year I do think Leftfield will be silly busy.

Out of interest what are the chances of Jason Williamson guesting (Sleaford Mods) ? He's on the new album and playing earlier in the day on JP.

Unless it is a band you must see, there's a lot to be said for choosing a more chilled out time at stages that usually have space (West Holts, Acoustic, Avalon) than being crushed in the JP tent or fighting through crowds for 45 mins to get a half decent spot at the Pyramid.

(Reading this, probably reflects my age, I used to be at the front of the Pyramid a few years back)

I even left a must see last year because I was not having fun with the crowd, best decision I made that night.

John Peel is a bit easier to get into if you go down the right hand side. Most people are approaching from Silver Hayes, which leads to the left, or the Pyramid, which goes into the back. The front right just has camping alongside it so it usually has a bit more room.

John Peel is a bit easier to get into if you go down the right hand side. Most people are approaching from Silver Hayes, which leads to the left, or the Pyramid, which goes into the back. The front right just has camping alongside it so it usually has a bit more room.

Sounds like down the right hand side is the way to go :-) Cheers!

Stonebridge for 2 bears was the worst I've seen at that bar, got shut down for a while.

It was busy but that's only because it's a proper tiny tent, there weren't that many people there. Once they came back on it was fine and not too busy at all.

Yep, gave up trying to get into Park for Radiohead. Left it too late and it was stupidly busy, it felt dangerous and I'm not the most easily scared. Stonebridge for 2 bears was the worst I've seen at that bar, got shut down for a while. John Peel for (I think) Ting Tings a few years ago, couldn't even get into the field JP is in. (Just checked was Ting Tings 2008)

This year I do think Leftfield will be silly busy.

Out of interest what are the chances of Jason Williamson guesting (Sleaford Mods) ? He's on the new album and playing earlier in the day on JP.

According to someone on here who was speaking to him, he is going to guest during Leftfield's set