Headliners 2016

thewayiam

I'm a big Paul McCartney fan and have always been suprised by how much flack he gets. The 2004 set was mesmerising and he could have carried on playing all night and not many of the people who witnessed the set would have minded. They literally had to drag him off as he was absolutely loving it as were the crowd. I've never seen an act have so much love and affection shown towards him. (Blur in 2009 was  the biggest connection between band and crowd Iv'e ever experienced but in a different kind of way.) He had everyone in the palm of his hand from start to finish. For any of you knockers of his solo stuff, Listen to Ram which is probably as good as any of the later Beatles albums. It could have easily have been the Abbey Road follow up. Flowers in the Dirt is a good solo album which I think was written around the time he was writing with Elvis Castello. Paul McCartney's Glastonbury festival appearance is up there for me as one of the greatest social moments in my life.  

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, adjwholovesmusic said:

I'm a big Paul McCartney fan and have always been suprised by how much flack he gets. The 2004 set was mesmerising and he could have carried on playing all night and not many of the people who witnessed the set would have minded. They literally had to drag him off as he was absolutely loving it as were the crowd. I've never seen an act have so much love and affection shown towards him. (Blur in 2009 was  the biggest connection between band and crowd Iv'e ever experienced but in a different kind of way.) He had everyone in the palm of his hand from start to finish. For any of you knockers of his solo stuff, Listen to Ram which is probably as good as any of the later Beatles albums. It could have easily have been the Abbey Road follow up. Flowers in the Dirt is a good solo album which I think was written around the time he was writing with Elvis Castello. Paul McCartney's Glastonbury festival appearance is up there for me as one of the greatest social moments in my life.  

You and most others. Seeing a beatle at glastonbury? It's what dreams are made of. A sensational night.

In 10, 15, 20 years when paul is just a memory, we will be able to say that we saw a beatle at glastonbury. We wont appreciate how lucky we have been to be alive in this golden era until it's gone.

And to think people walked away because they didnt like penny lane!! 

3 minutes ago, A Guy Called Matt said:

I have no idea what all this means - Godwin alert and end of thread???

I had to look it up. The Godwin theory is basically that as a discussion goes on the chance of somebody comparing someone/something to Hitler/Nazism gets ever closer to 1. Now that it's happened it can't carry on getting closer to 1 so may as well end the thread now. 

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I had to look it up. The Godwin theory is basically that as a discussion goes on the chance of somebody comparing someone/something to Hitler/Nazism gets ever closer to 1. Now that it's happened it can't carry on getting closer to 1 so may as well end the thread now. 

More than just that....

There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself)[3] than others.[1] For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.[8] This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law.

But I was joking. Please carry on. :)

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

But I was jokingly pointing my finger. It wasn't even the first mention of Hitler I went for. :)

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Well you learn something new every day.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

You and most others. Seeing a beatle at glastonbury? It's what dreams are made of. A sensational night.

In 10, 15, 20 years when paul is just a memory, we will be able to say that we saw a beatle at glastonbury. We wont appreciate how lucky we have been to be alive in this golden era until it's gone.

And to think people walked away because they didnt like penny lane!! 

What you said Russy...

I was there, right at the front for Macca. From the very first song, Jet, I was on cloud 9. Definitely one of the most fun and memorable sets I have ever seen at Glastonbury. Experiencing Live and Let Die on the Pyramid Stage was fantastic. I absolutely loved that set!

My Glastonbury Beatles and connecting associates tally is now Macca, Sean Lennon, Zac Starkey and Yoko. Come on Ringo, come to Glastonbury. Yellow Submarine and Octopussy's Garden at West Holts would be really 'gear'!

10 minutes ago, sime said:

My Glastonbury Beatles and connecting associates tally is now Macca, Sean Lennon, Zac Starkey and Yoko. Come on Ringo, come to Glastonbury. Yellow Submarine and Octopussy's Garden at West Holts would be really 'gear'!

I would go and listen to Ringo Starr reading some Thomas the Tank stories. Pyramid opener - would be a good way to soothe the hangover terrors.

29 minutes ago, Untz said:

I would go and listen to Ringo Starr reading some Thomas the Tank stories. Pyramid opener - would be a good way to soothe the hangover terrors.

Would quite like to see Ringo's all starr band with Todd Rundgren,Joe Walsh, George Rollie and Nils Lofgren tho

9 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

One of the few here probably who thinks the Beatles were an overrated act in their time, better musicians out there, better songwriters out there, better performers out there at the time.....but the Beatles got the plaudits because they after all were the good looking Liverpool lads who came along at the right time for their guitar based pop act to take off and attain cult status as it did (even if it wasn't original in the slightest)  They weren't crap, not by any means but to me I dont hear `superstars` in their music as they were made out to be. Cant help but wonder if wed remember them so fondly but for what happened away from the music and the headlines it generated. 

Mr Never-right strikes again!

Theres a list of bands that seem to have a "you cant say anything bad about them, you HAVE to laud them" aura around them. The Beatles are on it, Led Zeppelin are on it.

I find the Beatles boring to the point of tedium. And the solo stuff from any of them is even worse (obviously except for the Thomas voice-overs). I never criticise people for liking them, yet if you say they do nothing for you its treated as if you are saying it deliberately in order to get a reaction.