Hop Farm 2012

Guest yasgursfarmhand

Previous years the children haven't been in tow, so i've not really noticed if there

was a childrens/family camping area? I was over in the back field last year, next to the campervan

area, and i'm sure there wasn't any families about. Or maybe i just didn't notice due to alcohol. !!!

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I think this has turned into a really pleasant festival.

The lineup doesn't really do it for me, bit too much 'heritage' stuff there, but regardless, it's a really well organised relaxing festival to visit.

Really good choice of food etc, all the favourites (pieminister, curry goat, dorset smokery etc), no queues at the bars.

I'm impressed. Good work, Hop Farm.

I went for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. The line-up didn't wow me when it was announced but it was good to see a load of bands I'd never otherwise see and to find some new favourites (Field Music, Lianne La Havas, Slow Club, Gruff Rhys, The Sheepdogs). And Peter Gabriel, Richard Ashcroft, Primal Scream, Suede, and Bellowhead were all brilliant.

I'll almost certainly go next year- if it's on...

I don't know much about costs but it looked like there were quite small numbers there at certain points, particularly Sunday. I hope it survives.

Once again we went for the weekend, and again it was worth the journey.

Peter Gabriel has a voice that has got better with age.Maximo were great.

Enjoyed Bellowhead , Bruce was there to showcase his grand daughter, but still made me smile.

Joan Armatrading was cool, but the 2 outstanding sounds for me were Taj Mahal on the Sunday morning,

funky bass driven blues. And the very special Primal Scream set. I'd eat my left testy if anyone can provide

proof that Primal Scream has ever done a better live version of Come Together. Magical.

Maybe an idea to get a bigger headliner for next years Sunday. Prince was always going to

be hard to follow.

Madness, The Rolling stones.......

Loved my w/e at Hop Farm. My highlight was Joan Armatrading who was out of this world and good to hear a new Suede song!

Saturday was busy but the other two days were a bit sparse crowd wise - unfortunately many people seem only to look for a big name headliner. Saw Vince trundling around in his golf buggy on Saturday - keep it going Mr P I loved it!!

As Glasto wasn't on this year I'd thought I'd give this one a go. Had my reservations because I've never been to a small festival before and wasn't too sure what to expect in the way of atmosphere etc. To my pleasant surprise it was an excellent weekend throughout. Vince has obviously tried his hardest to make Hop Farm as Glasto as possible and it shows, even down to the photo of himself and festival description on the first page of the programme. But good luck to him, no complaints here and it's only just down the road from me so I'm hoping it lives on and grows into something big.

Actually yes, there were a couple of minor complaints......

The ott Campervan price of £90 buys you a good 20 minute walk from the entrance.

And of course the banning of personal alcohol within the arena, always a downer at any festival.

Oh and if it was possible to fall asleep standing up then I would have done during Peter Gabriels set!

To add, Suede were outstanding and possibly the best of the whole weekend.

And of course the banning of personal alcohol within the arena, always a downer at any festival.

Oh and if it was possible to fall asleep standing up then I would have done during Peter Gabriels set!

To add, Suede were George Clinton was outstanding and possibly (with the exception of primal scream) the best of the whole weekend. (corrected for you)

Ditto....and I was so looking forward to Peter Gabriels set too....

So glad we opted for Primal Scream over Dylan. What an immense set! Ashcroft, Suede, all great.

First time there and wasn't expecting much, but thoroughly enjoyed the whole weeknd. Weather was perfect bar the downpour sunday afternoon.

The crowd numbers really helped too, just the right amount of people for me.

Not sure i would of paid the full ticket price mind, they would have to get a dance tent on the go, but can't see that happening....

We did seriously think about going to this festival, as the line up was so good - but were put off by the £90 cost of a campervan ticket, and by the fact that the queues for the bars were horrendous when we were last there in 2010 - meaning that we missed a huge chunk of Ray Davies's set :(

We did seriously think about going to this festival, as the line up was so good - but were put off by the £90 cost of a campervan ticket, and by the fact that the queues for the bars were horrendous when we were last there in 2010 - meaning that we missed a huge chunk of Ray Davies's set :(

Had an amazing time..highlights for me were Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset and Sunny Afternoon (on a sunny afternoon!), Patti Smith who was amazing..Richard Ashcroft singing Verve songs, Psychedelic Furs, My Morning Jacket who were incredible and Peter Hook and his band..the biggest highlight though was when Peter Hook dedicated a song to me, probably because I was at the front dancing throughout the set. The song was Love Will Tear Us Apart, one of my all time favourtie songs. I was over the moon!

Edited by angelofharlem

I had a great weekend. Rounded off by an absoutely incredible set by Frightened Rabbit on the Sunday, who were a million times better than any other time I've seen them. I'm not sure if I'd go again next year, it'd definitely depend on who the headliners were as I managed to get a SupaJam ticket for £50.

I was thinking during Peter Gabriel that Arcade Fire could be a good headliner? Don't know what anyone thinks. They seem to be the right size to fit into the Suede slot at least.

Interesting! I wonder if this means Vince has designed the festival around not actually being that packed then? There always seems to be ticket offers going about for it, so thought it was in dire need of people to attend.

I do wonder if his yet making a profit on this yet, or if its being subsidized from his international ones.

As I said before I like the whole idea of it for the most part and few younger acts/me getting better mates/going alone would see me go. I'd love it to see it succeed.

from the stuff which I know was going on last week in the background, I can tell you with solid certainty that Vince has not designed this fest to run on the sorts of numbers it had this year.

What was going on in the background? Well, just thank your lucky stars that you all had such an enjoyable festival (it's great to hear so many happy stories :)), cos it looked for a while like the festival was going to be very different to what you got.

I was astonished at how little queuing there was for food, beer etc, to the point where I wondered if *anybody* was making money on the weekend,

Bars, food stalls etc. shouldn't be that easy to get to. I mean, I loved it for that reason, but economically, it can't be good business.

The only queues were for the arena bogs - they need to add more turdises to these right and left of the main stage. Otherwise same experience as others here - no queue for beers to speak of, really pleasant crowd, well run event overall. Would like to see a few more after hours venues though other than just a crap disco in the big tent and a few rammed 'cocktail bars'. Liked the campsite too with strumpets to greet you every morning!

Forget to say how much i enjoyed Maximo Park.. was going nuts when they played graffiti!

Judging by the amount of people whinging about late night noise levels on Hop Farms FB page, i doubt they will bring the Dance tent back. Someone even suggested a 1am curfew!? Really?

I'd definatley go back if they get some fresh bands in and, ofcourse, a dance tent! Especially given it only took us just over an hr to drive back monday.

Bhatti wraps had some pretty banging tunes playing late night.

EDIT

Anyone know how many were actually at the festival? And also the capacity? Thanks

Edited by oebs